Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Knocking sound in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/12, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Knocking sound in the engine?

I have a sound, It kind of sounds like knocking. Now i'm thinking that it might have something to do with the clutch. Let me explain. When I let out the clutch in neutral it makes a click and you can hear some kind of scraping. Now the knocking sound comes on as I accelerate. If I put it in neutral and rev it it sounds fine, smooth as silk. When I have it in gear and accelerate I can hear a slight knocking sound that increases as the RPMs go up. Mind you that it's not like a LOUD sound that people can hear from the side walk. What do you guys think?
Old 3/20/12, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's your throw out bearing. Comes as a slave cylinder/TOB assembly. Gotta drop the tranny. And when you bolt it back up make sure you don't pinch any wire looms. Apparently that makes her throw a **** load of codes lol. The assembly is like $100. Might consider a new clutch kit...
Old 3/20/12, 12:39 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DPHC13
I have a sound, It kind of sounds like knocking. Now i'm thinking that it might have something to do with the clutch. Let me explain. When I let out the clutch in neutral it makes a click and you can hear some kind of scraping. Now the knocking sound comes on as I accelerate. If I put it in neutral and rev it it sounds fine, smooth as silk. When I have it in gear and accelerate I can hear a slight knocking sound that increases as the RPMs go up.
Hi DPHC13,

I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 3/20/12, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Hey mark just wondering how many miles are on your car?
Old 4/22/12, 08:12 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
speaking of throwout bearings...i had to put one in my F150 years ago, was a very easy job- except for the 'quick release' hydraulic fitting...bought every style tool around, messed around the whole afternoon before finally cutting the tube(it cost more than the throwout).
lesson learned- when changing oil, put a dab of vasleline around the gap in the fitting to keep dirt/water out- they corrode inside and wont disengage. my truck was a winterbeater, so salt did most of the damage, but still, a ounce of prevention... the spring barbs that lock the tube appear to be stainless, but dirt/crap got builtup pretty tight behind the barbs, nowhere for them to go- truck was like 12 years old though...I hope when I put the clutch in mine it will be a quick release, pretty sure it will

for the truck, I had found a new OEM throwout on ebay for dirt cheep, still in the box- was surprised they are plastic. found a timken hub on ebay too for the wifes truck for 1/3 the parts store price...gotta love ebay sometimes.
Old 5/7/12, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glenn, my car has 70K on it now but it has made the sound for a while....I noticed it at about 50k.