Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I Have to use starting fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/24, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Have to use starting fluid!

I have a few performance issues with my ‘08 GT automatic baby:

1. Car will struggle to start and at times, it’ll crank but won’t start. The other day I drove it to AutoZone after the car had been sitting for a few hours. Shut it off, ran into the store for maybe 3 minutes, went back out to start it. It cranked normally but didn’t turn over. AutoZone guy thought it could be fuel delivery issue. We removed the air filter and sprayed starting fluid into the CAI tube. Car was able to start up and run…..for about 7 minutes…. Next issue

2. While at a stop light and idling it ran a little rough, but not too concerning. Light turned green then I proceeded to give it gas but the car didn’t accelerate! It was still on the entire time but The engine didn’t even respond to the pressing of the pedal! I slowly crept into a parking lot and shut it off. There was hissing coming from the coolant reservoir, I twisted off the cap and coolant bubbled over! Use more starting fluid and got it running.

3. While at 3rd or 4th gear and approximately 40-45 mph the engine will lag and sound weak. It sounds strong up to 40 mph before it begins to sound like a raspy voice or something. Sometimes I let up off the gas before giving it gas again and eventually I climb up to 60-65 mph. (That’s highest I go because I’m afraid of what might happen at 70-80 .

Prior to all this, about a month ago my mobile mechanic suggested I get a Fuel Control Module because the car would never start unless I used starting fluid. But Once the fluid burned off the car would shut off. Since replacing the module, it’ll start sometimes but not consistently. Car has 168k miles and I believe there’s a lot life left in it. I need help diagnosing! Do these 3 issues all have a common fix or do I need to buy multiple parts?

Im leaving towards 3 things; throttle body, Computer, or fuel delivery component(s).

Please help!
Old 7/22/24, 10:51 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
Check Out The No Start Pdf in Here and Also The No Dtc & With Dtc Code Pdf's Depending on if You Have Checked For Codes! I Would Advise Using a Reader That Can Pull Body Codes as Well as DTC Codes! Autozone Will Check For Free I Believe!

A New Fuel Filter Would Be a Good Idea Just to Know it's Not an Issue!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-info-550470/

KC