Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Howl coming from back of car

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/12, 06:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howl coming from back of car

Its like a howling/whirring noise, not so much a whine, to me anyway. Is it pretty much guaranteed to be the dif? I just put RP syncromax in the tranny, could that be it? Idk maybe even the brakes? It's not the tires, just got new ones last weekend. Possibly a hub? The noise seems to be connected with speed, whether it's in gear or not. Any ideas?
Old 3/21/12, 09:19 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Its like a howling/whirring noise, not so much a whine, to me anyway. Is it pretty much guaranteed to be the dif? I just put RP syncromax in the tranny, could that be it? Idk maybe even the brakes? It's not the tires, just got new ones last weekend. Possibly a hub? The noise seems to be connected with speed, whether it's in gear or not. Any ideas?
Hey muscledom,

I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 3/21/12, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

A howl? I thought the coyote was in the front! YUK YUK

No, seriously - does it move with the speed your going or is it the same consistent tone?
Old 3/21/12, 03:04 PM
Banned

Haha yea it changes with speed. Gets more intense. Once I'm cruising it just kinda drones...
Old 3/22/12, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

You said it changes with speed - if the tone changes with speed as if the pitch gets higher, I'd reccomend what Deysha said. I'd have a dealer check it out.

If the sound is monotone and consistent and just gets louder, I'd first do a quick visual of the undercarriage - debris that gets lodged under there can make a considerable amount of sound. I had a loud thrashing sound and smell coming from my Galaxie - it turned out to be a large plastic bag or tarp that melted to the muffler and was dragging on the ground.
Old 3/22/12, 12:08 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be wheel bearings.
Old 3/23/12, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Could be wheel bearings.
Yea that's what I'm thinking. I drive enough used cars so I should know the sound by now haha. Hopefully well have time to put it on the lift today...
Old 3/23/12, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha yea it changes with speed. Gets more intense. Once I'm cruising it just kinda drones...
this might not be your issue, might be your rear end or maybe u joint but....

i had a exact same sounding issue last year. i noticed it after i installed some upr upper and lower rear control arms. at first i thought maybe it was the gears that i installed myself, but the car was kickin butt,,then i thought for sure it was the new chrome moly control arms transferring the rear axle/gear noise to the body and might have bet money on it even.

so i ordered a set of frpp control arms and rotors and pads. first i did the rear brakes and installed the control arms. took it down the road, no change, the same body drone noise from what seemed like the rear. pulled back in to do the frt brakes and found the bearings in the rt frt hub were shot, bad too and the car still handled and drove good, just the whiny, drony noise
Old 3/23/12, 03:44 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just put RP syncromax in the tranny, could that be it?
If the noise started after this - and you did nothing else - that would be my top suspect.
I can't tell what your vehicle is but if you have the Tremec 3650 remember - you don't fill it all the way to the top - 1/2" below the bottom of the fill hole.

For vehicles equipped with a V8 engine the correct
manual transmission fill level is 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) below the edge of the
filler hole.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/23/12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 3/23/12, 03:47 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

If I remember right it calls for mercon v..
Old 3/23/12, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
this might not be your issue, might be your rear end or maybe u joint but....

i had a exact same sounding issue last year. i noticed it after i installed some upr upper and lower rear control arms. at first i thought maybe it was the gears that i installed myself, but the car was kickin butt,,then i thought for sure it was the new chrome moly control arms transferring the rear axle/gear noise to the body and might have bet money on it even.

so i ordered a set of frpp control arms and rotors and pads. first i did the rear brakes and installed the control arms. took it down the road, no change, the same body drone noise from what seemed like the rear. pulled back in to do the frt brakes and found the bearings in the rt frt hub were shot, bad too and the car still handled and drove good, just the whiny, drony noise
Yea I've been kickin it sideways alot lately.... Gotta find the time to check it out. Soon though for sure
Old 3/23/12, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

If the noise started after this - and you did nothing else - that would be my top suspect.
I can't tell what your vehicle is but if you have the Tremec 3650 remember - you don't fill it all the way to the top - 1/2" below the bottom of the fill hole.
Eh my girl noticed it before the RP, not as loud but it was howlin. If there's nothin else wrong I'll check the tranny fluid level. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 3/23/12, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Eh my girl noticed it before the RP. Not as loud but still noticeable. After I check it out if I dont find anything I'll check the tranny fluid. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 4/1/12, 04:40 PM
Banned

Yup it's coming from the dif. Gonna try to blow it up so I can justify an upgrade