Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help me diagnose my problem, please....

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/05, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason that I am posting this is because I cannot tell if the noise is actually coming from the rear axle. I do get some "whine" when I am accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear, but I believe that is just common engine noise. The real problem occurs in 5th gear. If I am giving it gas, the whining seems to start right at 50 and gets to its loudest point at 55mph, then dies back down after I reach 60. I turn my head around, but I still cannot tell if it is coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like it is possibly coming from the transmission or even the engine. The only thing that concerns me is that the noise goes away if I'm not giving it gas. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm weary to take it to the dealer, because the TSB http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=36113 is a complete rear axle re-build. You have to have a real good mechanic to do this the right way (I had an engineering internship at American Axle and witnessed this being done many times....it is no easy task).
Old 11/4/05, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine whines in 1st and 2nd gear a little (tranny) and 3rd gear actually chatters ever so lightly. 4th and 5th gear are silent.

I would take it back to the dealer so they can at least give it a look and listen. It may be something simple. It may not. I have seen transmissions that were low on lube whine..
Old 11/4/05, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've scheduled my dealer visit for 11.7.2005 and my reason is a whining sound also! You know, brand new cars from Toyota don't whine, but I digress -- I get a whining sound that's constant and doesn't change whether I brake, accelerate or turn... it's just constant once I start moving and pass 10mph.

I anticipate a ball bearing pinion issue, but we'll see come Monday and some inexperienced mechanic takes 8 hours to diagnose what took me 5 minutes to guess.

If your winding sound comes and goes -- and/or -- changes in tones, it could be: a belt, front/rear pinion/axle issue(?) or even brake system related.

Good luck!!
Old 11/6/05, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by autothing@November 4, 2005, 8:42 PM
You know, brand new cars from Toyota don't whine, but I digress --
They don't? You sure about that? I have had nothing but toyota's in my family for years in a list I will show price and problems we have had with them and how new they were. All these cars were bought new from the dealer. My family is very gentle with cars as you can see from the mileage.

1996 Toyota Avalon $32,000 (sold with 38,000 miles on it, 5 years old)
1.got it home and check engine light came on day 1. Defective cam from factory.
2.Grinding noise while accelerating(at 9,000 miles), they never told us why.

1999 Toyota Land Crusier $57,000 (SOLD with 50,000 miles on it 5 years old)
1.Rear pannels fell off a minimum of 8 times from cheap bonding tape, bumper came loose at 12,000 miles from flaw in harness.
2.Those same pannels cracked in half from weathering the truck was 4 years old and garage kept.

2001 Toyota Avalon $34,000 (lease almost up 26,000 miles on it 5 years old)
1.Interior rattles when you go over bumps, dealer says nothign wrong

2.Door rattles and windows shake badly when you close the doors(lightly)

3.Paint on trunk has deterioration<SP?> where the clear coat disolved

4.Check engine light car lost control (with 25,000 miles on it) bad cam.

5.Chromatic rear view mirror falls off after a few months consistanly from cheap bonding glue.

6.Heated seats wont turn off when the cars heater is on, Dealer says there is no problem

2003 Toyota Tacoma $30,000 currently 19,688 miles on it
1.When the air conditioner is on and you accelerate there is a loud whine noise, dealer gave it back 5 times without fixing it. Tech from Toyota California looked at it said it was coming from two hoses rubbing together . Said it was fixed still does it now.

2.Squeek on passengers side front wheel when going over bumps, dealer says nothing wrong

3. entire suspension squeeks dealer oiled and checked all joints and bolts still squeeks

4. Breaks fail/lock up on occasion when trying to stop at low speeds
dealer says nothing wrong

OK thats was a lot. I would also like to lsay that Toyota has a problem with their breaks on all vehicles that they refuse to admit . All the 2000 and up Toyota's we have had the breaks have failed on them at some point and Toyota always says their is no problem. My grandparents also own the exact same 2001 avalon we do and the breaks gave out on me after a 2 hour drive, I almost died. A friend of mine told me that his friends son bought a 2004 Toyota Tundra brand new and at 50 miles on the Truck he tried to stop at a light and the breaks failed at he slammed in to the back of a Tractor Trailer, the guy almost died. He was only going 40MPH. But you know Toyota has no problems at all