Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

GT Manual Trans Oil Changed. Would like some input.

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/11, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the synchromax and purchased at americanmuscle.com. Most people are running it as opposed to the ATF. The synchromax is supposed to be made with the materials on the synchros in the manual in mind. RP lists it as a replacement when Mercon(V) is called for. I have read some guys using the ATF though.

Originally Posted by steevr
For those of you using Royal Purple, which type and weight? I would love to get the stock fluid out of my tranny. Thanks.
Old 7/6/11, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I used RP Syncromax and it sure cooled my shifter down by 50% also it shifts easier. Had it changed at 65k and feels great
Old 7/17/11, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think it's going to cool your shifter handle down when it's separated from the trans by a piece of linkage. It's more likely a case of heat transfer from the engine, cooling and exhaust systems on hot days that heat the shifter handle up even at highway speeds. These cars have a tall driveline tunnel that probably traps heat really well also when idling.
Old 7/18/11, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

It definitely made the difference from a noticeably warm handle after cruising at 55+ speeds. This was with the Hurst billet shifter. I never noticed it with the stock shifter. Id say the tighter aluminum/poly mounts construction was transferring heat from the engine and transmission. After the RP went in it was noticeably cooler.

Originally Posted by Lime GT
I don't think it's going to cool your shifter handle down when it's separated from the trans by a piece of linkage. It's more likely a case of heat transfer from the engine, cooling and exhaust systems on hot days that heat the shifter handle up even at highway speeds. These cars have a tall driveline tunnel that probably traps heat really well also when idling.