Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

The gastank issue...

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/06, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People should not have to drive ten miles to find a pump to fill their gas tank, nor should they have to turn the nozzle upside down. I happen to know that there is a fix for this, and some Ford garages are using it, but Ford Motor Company is too stubborn to admit their poor, poor design, and remove a small part that would solve the problem. Instead, they want all their customers to struggle and be miserable. That is why Ford is in trouble, among other things. Gee Whiz, just help the cuctomers!!!! I won't have another Ford in my name again!!!! This was a 30th anniversary gift. Some gift! Can't even put fuel in it. What if we are out of town on vacation? What do you do then?
Old 9/22/06, 05:23 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

You gonna share your secret for the fix with us?
Old 9/22/06, 06:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when my 06 built 10/05 gas overflowed because someone in a black 04 GT asked me a question I was on my was to the car wash around the corner so the timing worked out.
The check engine light came with code to check gas cap and needed to be reset off, the dealer took care of it for me in 5 minutes. i did not request further service and haven't had the problem since. I do not want a new gas tank and am happy with the one that is on the car. JMO
Old 10/2/06, 06:32 PM
GT Member

I have had my stang for 10 days short of a year with 3681 miles on it. I never had this problem until 3 tanks ago or I should say 3 fill ups ago. If you do the math and I'm averaging about 250 miles to the tank. That means roughly the first 11 times, it's been perfect and the last 3 haven't.

I don't think it matters how much gas is in the tank. I had the problem when I didn't have much and I had the problem when trying to fill it up with about 10 gals.

The other day after 10 mins and 5 gals, I gave up. It's rediculous to "live with it"!

I did however get better luck by pulling the hose completely out of the hole so that I can actually see the gas flowing into the hole. That worked great until too much vapor and gas filled the hose then it shut off. But if I put it in completely, it shut off after like 3 secs of filling. After about 10 times of doing this, that was enough. I didn't spend $26,000 on a car to sit at a gas station for a half an hour to fill the tank!!!!!

I take it in Wednesday for a check-see.
Old 10/2/06, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

This happened to me for the first time today. But, I let the tank get all the way down to "E" and the display said 0 miles to empty. I read that if you go below a certain point, like 2 gal, it's super hard to fill afterward. Something to do with the way the saddle tank fills.

They recommended: Fill to what you can, drive a few miles then fill again till it tops.

I'll see if this works tonight. I only got about 9.5 gal the first try. It might have been the type of nozzel as well. It was one of those with the short rubber hood on it so the neck fit furthur down in the hole. (that's sounds a bit naughty -- hee hee)
Old 10/2/06, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got back from filling the tank it took almost 15 Minutes this cant be right. does someone know The TSB #
Old 10/4/06, 09:45 PM

just had my '05 GT fixed for this gas tank problem - sometimes would keep clicking off and wouldn't fill up, and once wouldn't cut off and overflowed all over the parking lot floor! - there was some sort of recall on a valve in the gas tank that allows ventilation - it was replaced, covered by warranty, and have had no problems since.
Old 10/4/06, 11:04 PM
V6 Member

Had this happen to me once at a brand new gas station which was offering the best price in town. Not a lot of fun to have people waiting behind you and asking questions about the car and wondering why you are taking so long while the other pumps around you have filled 2-3 cars during the same time period. I've gotten gas there since but avoid the pump where I had the problem.

I ran mine down real low and was able to get 14.947 gals without a hiccup so I doubt it matters how much/little you need. I just let it fill on the slowest setting.
Old 10/5/06, 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Robison520
People should not have to drive ten miles to find a pump to fill their gas tank, nor should they have to turn the nozzle upside down. I happen to know that there is a fix for this, and some Ford garages are using it, but Ford Motor Company is too stubborn to admit their poor, poor design, and remove a small part that would solve the problem. Instead, they want all their customers to struggle and be miserable. That is why Ford is in trouble, among other things. Gee Whiz, just help the cuctomers!!!! I won't have another Ford in my name again!!!! This was a 30th anniversary gift. Some gift! Can't even put fuel in it. What if we are out of town on vacation? What do you do then?
WOW you do have an attitude for sure. Why don't you just give the car back and all your troubles with this car will go away.
Old 10/5/06, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I waited all day before filling the rest of the tank up and the Mustang took the gas with no problems. Different station with different type of filler neck. Wondering if it might have been the fuel nozzel being too long.

Just as a side note. Maybe, the early shutoff or slow fill is just our Mustangs way of saying "Hey, this gas sucks... fill me up at a different station!"
Old 10/23/06, 12:04 PM
GT Member

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?