Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gas tank fill issue on 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07 | 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

It happened to me the other day, and I turned the handle of the nozzle 90ยบ from vertical, pointing towards the back of the car, and it let me fill up sans problem....
Old 9/4/07 | 01:28 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Interesting theory... hadn't thought about angles. I'll have to give this a try. Guess you could carry around a 1 ft length of 2x10, and put it under the left rear tire (roll up on it) to get the slope you're talking about.
That's exactly what i'm trying to explain. It's the only way I pump gas now (on the wrong side of the pump) I still need to keep the nozzle upside down but it's working much better this way. Try different gas stations.
Old 9/10/07 | 04:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Good news:
I haven't run into the problem again but I try to fill with the nozzle pulled away from the filler as much as possible.

Some extra good news:
A woman with a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee was trying to fill up adjacent to my station (on the other side) and I kept hearing it click off. I originally thought she was trying to top off her tank as much as possible until I realized it must be the same problem as our Stangs. I told her to fill up with the nozzle upside down and she gave me a WTF look but tried it and it never clicked off for her. The good news is that this isn't just isolated to the Mustangs. I *BET* that this is due to some stricter emissions regulations that require reduced evaporative emissions of gasoline tanks, so they restrict the fillers and can cause premature click-offs when the conditions aren't right.
Old 9/10/07 | 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd bet you're right! If you get under your car, you'll see the hose leading from the filler to the tank is a little bitty ****er!
Old 9/10/07 | 11:32 AM
GT Member

I had the problem with the first tank. Haven't had any since.
Old 9/10/07 | 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is an annoying problem. Ford must fix it.
Old 10/14/07 | 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just ran into this problem again. What's strange is that when I'm filling the tank with the gas nozzle, the trigger physically feels different in the upright position versus sideways and upside down. It won't click off by itself when filling it sideways or upside down so I have to know when to stop filling it or else I get gas all over the side of the Stang.

I cleaned the evaporative emissions air tube and even wrapped a mesh filter on the intake to prevent debris and spider eggs from clogging it. It didn't help so this obviously wasn't the problem. The only things that remain, as far as I can tell, are:

1). Inadequate gas tank venting
2). Fuel filler tube needs to be re-routed to allow for faster draining
Old 10/14/07 | 02:44 PM

Happens to me all the time. I hate it.
Old 10/14/07 | 03:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, happens to me about 1 in 4 fill ups, even when going slow sometimes.
Old 10/14/07 | 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I have several gas stations in the area where I know that it will not cause me any problems...but then I got to thinking that if I should take trip somewhere, then I would probably have to make several stops in order to find a station where I won't have problems. I also make it habit never to get below a half tank (and this should help, especially on a trip).
Old 10/15/07 | 07:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I just ran into this problem again. What's strange is that when I'm filling the tank with the gas nozzle, the trigger physically feels different in the upright position versus sideways and upside down. It won't click off by itself when filling it sideways or upside down so I have to know when to stop filling it or else I get gas all over the side of the Stang.

I cleaned the evaporative emissions air tube and even wrapped a mesh filter on the intake to prevent debris and spider eggs from clogging it. It didn't help so this obviously wasn't the problem. The only things that remain, as far as I can tell, are:

1). Inadequate gas tank venting
2). Fuel filler tube needs to be re-routed to allow for faster draining

How low were you when you filled it up?
I never let mine get below 1/4 of a tank. Usually when the gauge gets just past the half full mark, I start looking for some good prices on gas.
Old 10/15/07 | 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
I ran into the gas tank fill issue on my 07 GT this morning. I went to a different gas station (one that I never used before) and it clicked off about 4 gallons from being full. I didn't realize this until I started it up and the needle wasn't at "F". I went back and tried filling again to no avail. It would start to spit out gas at the nozzle.

From everyone's posts here at TMS, it seems Ford still hasn't found a solution even for 07 GTs. I've read the DIY method of cleaning the evap fresh air intake hose but I've had that hose completely clogged on another Ford and it did not affect filling the gas tank.

I had this EXACT same issue. Had no idea others were having it too.
Old 10/15/07 | 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Very, very annoying.
Old 10/15/07 | 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I never let my gas tank run low but I found that this doesn't have a significant impact on this issue for my car. I've tried to fill at 3/4 of a tank and had it spit out gas, and the most recent occurrence was with about 5/16 to 3/8 of a tank full.

I find this to be a potential safety issue.