Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gas pump trigger always releasing

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/11, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas pump trigger always releasing

When I try to fuel my 05 stang the gas pump's trigger will always release when I lock it to pump fuel. This also happen if I hold the trigger with my hand and not allow me to fill my gas up. Also my check engine light is always on so I went to get it checked and was told my gas cap was bad. I replaced the cap and reset the check engine light and it still is on so I'm wondering if that also has something to do with the gas pump problem.
Old 11/24/11, 09:36 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The fuel filling problem is as old as these 05s. It has to do with the nature of the saddle bag type fuel tank. It has happened toe once or twice also. The tried and true method is to rotate the fuel nozzle 180 degrees and in effect fill it up with the the fuel nozzle upside down. It will work like a charm.

On the check engine light have the code read. I have a handheld tuner do I can do my own, but I understand that you can go to a place like AutoZone and they can read it and give you the code. Them go online and google the code and see what the problem is.
Old 11/24/11, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info. Yeah I have been actually pumping it upside down. I just worry sometimes because of the warning message on the gas pump saying not to do that. I also noticed a smell of gas after I fill my tank up to full when I'm inside my stang.
Old 11/24/11, 09:54 AM
Post *****

Are you the original owner? I ask because someone may have done something to modify the car or drilled a hole to run wires or something under the back seat that would let the vapors in. But you shouldn't smell gas in the car after a fill up unless it's on you or you left the door open.

Take a look under the car or look in the trunk under the carpet or even under the rear seat if you can. Gasoline is not to be taken lightly.

Maybe someone else here knows more.
Old 11/24/11, 09:57 AM

Will do! Thanks!
Old 11/24/11, 09:59 AM

And no I bought this stang at 65k and I have added about 6k.
Old 11/26/11, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a TSB about the fuel tank filling issue, I believe they replaced the tank with a newly redesigned one. You are out of warranty now though.
Old 11/26/11, 02:30 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The fuel filling problem is as old as these 05s. It has to do with the nature of the saddle bag type fuel tank. It has happened toe once or twice also. The tried and true method is to rotate the fuel nozzle 180 degrees and in effect fill it up with the the fuel nozzle upside down. It will work like a charm.

On the check engine light have the code read. I have a handheld tuner do I can do my own, but I understand that you can go to a place like AutoZone and they can read it and give you the code. Them go online and google the code and see what the problem is.
Spelling errors all through out this post... Made it hard to read... You can do better can't you?
Old 11/26/11, 02:37 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem. Take apart the evaporator canister, the emissions crap under the black piece of steel underneath your car, behind the spare tire well. Take compressed air and blow it through all the plumbing. If new fuel is being added to the tank, the air it displaces has to vent out. If the vents are clogged, I think it can trigger the fuel shutoff since it thinks the tank is full. This worked for me. Here's some pics I drew up a few years ago describing what I thought the problem was. Not saying that this is for sure your problem, but this was my diag and my fix worked for me. I used to never be able to get it to take gas, but now I haven't had a problem in years. Someone's also said that the tanks are also joined at the bottom, but I've spent a lot of time under my car and never noticed anything.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 11/26/11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11/26/11, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I use the lowest possible speed when filling, and that allows the air to not be a problem.

I only have this issue when I pump the gas in full tilt boogie... and if I'm near empty, amazingly, at 7gallons, almost exactly... which would be the left half bein' full.

But slowly pumping the gas in will alleviate the issue. If there is no 'slow' pump speed, then I have to turn it upside down too.

I'm gonna bet the reason you smelled gas is because upside down, the pumps with a tube on the spout can't get a good seal, so the vapors fly out the inlet. Using the pumps with the vapor recovery on the inside of the car's inlet instead of the outside with the tube, you won't have that smell.

/Go out in the country where they aren't yet mandated to use those recovery things, such as Huntsville, Texas (last I was there, anyway), and boy, those stations *reek* of gas. Ugh.
Old 11/26/11, 04:29 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Spelling errors all through out this post... Made it hard to read... You can do better can't you?
Don't poke the bear
Old 11/26/11, 05:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Don't poke the bear
Old 11/26/11, 11:46 PM

What u are saying about the pump being upside down sounds pretty good. I agree but thats the only way i know of to fill my tank up is to hold the pump upside down.
Old 11/26/11, 11:47 PM

If I was to replace my tank with the improved on how much am I looking at to spend?
Old 11/26/11, 11:50 PM

Thanks for these illustrations. Im tempted to do this but am worried about fidgeting with anything near the gas tank
Old 11/27/11, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by omgunclewong
Thanks for these illustrations. Im tempted to do this but am worried about fidgeting with anything near the gas tank
Just don't smoke.
Old 11/27/11, 08:52 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by omgunclewong
It's all removed from the tank. Kind of like how changing a headlight isn't going to put you in danger of being shocked by the battery. Like I said, don't know if this is your problem, but blowing everything out did fix my problem.