Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Front sway bar bushing question

Old 12/31/13, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front sway bar bushing question

I had my mechanic replace my front sway bar bushings that I got at Mustang Unlimited. The box said it was for on 05-09 GT. 36mm but they were too big. Any idea on where to find ones that fit? As far as I know it is a stock sway bar.
Old 1/2/14, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
36mm is an aftermarket size, I believe the OEM size is 34mm.
Old 4/23/19, 07:15 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock bushings squeak over speed bumps

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
36mm is an aftermarket size, I believe the OEM size is 34mm.
Is this a common issue & what is the long term f ix....I have extended warranty from dealership....

Last edited by Rick Gonzalez; 4/23/19 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 4/23/19, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It's not a common issue. It's just there are options. Upgraded sway bars happen, and you apparently got those, which are 36mm instead of the proper 34mm stock sway bar bushings.

Get these. If you're stock, that should be correct 34 mm and polyurethane. Unless you aren't into Energy, then there's Prothane. Same thing, really, but I'm sure others will speak 'no'... meh.

Oh, those are the black ones. You want red? No problem!

They're also really dead simple to do. You can do them in your drive way if you were inclined. Just jack the car up, put on jackstands for safety, crawl under there, unbolt the two bushing mounts, the bar will tilt down, replace bushings, with the grease supplied slathered inside before attaching on the bar, installation is reverse of removal, and you're done. 30 minutes maybe?

Y'know... if you wanted...

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 4/23/19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 4/23/19, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
It's not a common issue. It's just there are options. Upgraded sway bars happen, and you apparently got those, which are 36mm instead of the proper 34mm stock sway bar bushings.

Get these. If you're stock, that should be correct 34 mm and polyurethane. Unless you aren't into Energy, then there's Prothane. Same thing, really, but I'm sure others will speak 'no'... meh.

Oh, those are the black ones. You want red? No problem!

They're also really dead simple to do. You can do them in your drive way if you were inclined. Just jack the car up, put on jackstands for safety, crawl under there, unbolt the two bushing mounts, the bar will tilt down, replace bushings, with the grease supplied slathered inside before attaching on the bar, installation is reverse of removal, and you're done. 30 minutes maybe?

Y'know... if you wanted...

Hope that helps!
Thanks alot....its a stock 2012 GT/CS....sounds like I could handle that...but dealer will cover under Xtended warranty.....$100 deductable
Old 4/24/19, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ouch. $100 for those?

I'd almost put up with the clunking and wait until I had a better thing to go in with, then say "and while you're there...", 'cause otherwise that's way too much to do those bushings under that warranty.

I'm guessing you don't have tools or a place, or a buddy who does, to do them?
Old 4/25/19, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Ouch. $100 for those?

I'd almost put up with the clunking and wait until I had a better thing to go in with, then say "and while you're there...", 'cause otherwise that's way too much to do those bushings under that warranty.

I'm very mechanical & have tools but not sure what the problem is....sounds more like low quality struts / shocks. to me...but whatever it is unacceptable for 15,000 miles on car
Old 4/25/19, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Ouch. $100 for those?

I'm very mechanical & have tools but not sure what the problem is....sounds more like low quality struts / shocks. to me...but whatever it is unacceptable for 15,000 miles on car
Old 5/3/21, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.
Old 6/15/21, 01:16 AM

Mustang 2007 convertible 4.0 - SWAY BAR BUSHING KIT

Hi Guys, good morning
anybody knows it this red kit of SWAY BAR BUSHING KIT

M-5490-BKA

will fit to my Mustang 2007 convertible 4.0 ?
thanks in advance
Old 6/16/21, 07:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5490-BKA
That's the bushing set, and it's meant for this:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5490-A
Which is a bigger set of sway bars than what comes stock for your car, unless you upgraded to this setup.

You want this for the rear:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/prothane...-2010/p/SBK28/

And these for the front:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/prothane...-2010/p/SBK29/
https://www.cjponyparts.com/proforge...-2014/p/EL16P/

As but *examples*, as of course you can source these same parts from different places and manufacturers, but the point is this: The standard V6 has smaller sway bars all the way around, and the bushings in the kit you found are for a more performance, bigger set of sway bars and will not work with at stock setup.

Hope that helps, good luck and a very belated welcome to the forums! Where ya been all this time?
The following users liked this post:
Roberto Verdi (6/21/21)
Old 6/21/21, 02:35 AM

Hi!!!!!!!!
Many many thanks for your reply, this helped me a lot .
You're the best
Old 6/21/21, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Aw, I'm ok, I suppose...

Yeppers, just tryin' to help out! You have a good one!