Notices
Warranty and Service Issues All Warrenty related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the service departments.

Front sway bar bushing question

Old 12/31/13, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front sway bar bushing question

I had my mechanic replace my front sway bar bushings that I got at Mustang Unlimited. The box said it was for on 05-09 GT. 36mm but they were too big. Any idea on where to find ones that fit? As far as I know it is a stock sway bar.
Old 1/2/14, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
36mm is an aftermarket size, I believe the OEM size is 34mm.
Old 4/23/19, 07:15 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock bushings squeak over speed bumps

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT View Post
36mm is an aftermarket size, I believe the OEM size is 34mm.
Is this a common issue & what is the long term f ix....I have extended warranty from dealership....

Last edited by Rick Gonzalez; 4/23/19 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 4/23/19, 11:51 AM
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts
It's not a common issue. It's just there are options. Upgraded sway bars happen, and you apparently got those, which are 36mm instead of the proper 34mm stock sway bar bushings.

Get these. If you're stock, that should be correct 34 mm and polyurethane. Unless you aren't into Energy, then there's Prothane. Same thing, really, but I'm sure others will speak 'no'... meh.

Oh, those are the black ones. You want red? No problem!

They're also really dead simple to do. You can do them in your drive way if you were inclined. Just jack the car up, put on jackstands for safety, crawl under there, unbolt the two bushing mounts, the bar will tilt down, replace bushings, with the grease supplied slathered inside before attaching on the bar, installation is reverse of removal, and you're done. 30 minutes maybe?

Y'know... if you wanted...

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 4/23/19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 4/23/19, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex View Post
It's not a common issue. It's just there are options. Upgraded sway bars happen, and you apparently got those, which are 36mm instead of the proper 34mm stock sway bar bushings.

Get these. If you're stock, that should be correct 34 mm and polyurethane. Unless you aren't into Energy, then there's Prothane. Same thing, really, but I'm sure others will speak 'no'... meh.

Oh, those are the black ones. You want red? No problem!

They're also really dead simple to do. You can do them in your drive way if you were inclined. Just jack the car up, put on jackstands for safety, crawl under there, unbolt the two bushing mounts, the bar will tilt down, replace bushings, with the grease supplied slathered inside before attaching on the bar, installation is reverse of removal, and you're done. 30 minutes maybe?

Y'know... if you wanted...

Hope that helps!
Thanks alot....its a stock 2012 GT/CS....sounds like I could handle that...but dealer will cover under Xtended warranty.....$100 deductable
Old 4/24/19, 10:24 PM
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts
Ouch. $100 for those?

I'd almost put up with the clunking and wait until I had a better thing to go in with, then say "and while you're there...", 'cause otherwise that's way too much to do those bushings under that warranty.

I'm guessing you don't have tools or a place, or a buddy who does, to do them?
Old 4/25/19, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Ouch. $100 for those?

I'd almost put up with the clunking and wait until I had a better thing to go in with, then say "and while you're there...", 'cause otherwise that's way too much to do those bushings under that warranty.

I'm very mechanical & have tools but not sure what the problem is....sounds more like low quality struts / shocks. to me...but whatever it is unacceptable for 15,000 miles on car
Old 4/25/19, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Ouch. $100 for those?

I'm very mechanical & have tools but not sure what the problem is....sounds more like low quality struts / shocks. to me...but whatever it is unacceptable for 15,000 miles on car