Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Electrical Issue, don't know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/09, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issue, don't know where to start

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I am looking for any help I can get right now.

I have an '06 V6 w/standard transmission.

When I went to start it just a minute ago, everything went fine until I tried to crank it over, then, everything went dead. I mean everything. When I put the key in the ignition, I can get the door chime to ding, sometimes, the overhead lights come on, sometimes, if I do get enough power, I can hear the relay on the right click back and forth. If I do get power for a second, if I touch anything, like to roll up the window, press in the clutch, turn on the radio, push in the brake, it all shuts down, gauges sweep back to below 0.

Here is the catch, battery has 12.3V. I am not an electrical guy by any means and I am completely lost on where to start. It is almost like if there was a main fuse (I don't know if there is or isn't), it is blown, or a main relay that is faulty.

anyone have any advice? it is sitting up at a 7-11 with a window half rolled down right now. Thanks.
Old 9/26/09, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to state the obvious, but did you try and jump start it? If it starts, then it's probably just a bad battery. Just because the voltage is showing over 12V, doesn't mean the battery has any capacity. It could be a bad cell or something inside.
Old 9/27/09, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your battery has taken a dump. Very typical for these cars. If you have a battery charger, use that for about 6 hours to see if it'll come around. If its still dead after that, time to cough up your $80.
Old 9/28/09, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I am looking for any help I can get right now.

I have an '06 V6 w/standard transmission.

When I went to start it just a minute ago, everything went fine until I tried to crank it over, then, everything went dead. I mean everything. When I put the key in the ignition, I can get the door chime to ding, sometimes, the overhead lights come on, sometimes, if I do get enough power, I can hear the relay on the right click back and forth. If I do get power for a second, if I touch anything, like to roll up the window, press in the clutch, turn on the radio, push in the brake, it all shuts down, gauges sweep back to below 0.

Here is the catch, battery has 12.3V. I am not an electrical guy by any means and I am completely lost on where to start. It is almost like if there was a main fuse (I don't know if there is or isn't), it is blown, or a main relay that is faulty.

anyone have any advice? it is sitting up at a 7-11 with a window half rolled down right now. Thanks.
+1 on the battery. 12.3 is low for a 6 cell charged lead/acid. Its has some open circuit voltage but obviously no current capacity as evidenced by the fall when you place a current demand on it.

Get a jump start and drive over to an auto parts store for a new battery. OEM batteries only last a couple years.
Old 10/5/09, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad battery. These cars act weird when the battery goes.

Change that sucker.

Mike E