Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver's Side Seat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/12, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Side Seat Issue

So i am driving my '07 GT/CS today and have a slight discomfort on my right side by the wing bone. I feel the seat and the inside metal piece has moved from the side of the seat to the middle thus no support on the upper right side. Any ideas what could have caused this is there a cure, any help would be appreciated. So now instead of sticling oout the leather is flat looking as it seems the brace or whatever it is called has moved.
Old 7/24/12, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pilatti1
So i am driving my '07 GT/CS today and have a slight discomfort on my right side by the wing bone. I feel the seat and the inside metal piece has moved from the side of the seat to the middle thus no support on the upper right side. Any ideas what could have caused this is there a cure, any help would be appreciated. So now instead of sticling oout the leather is flat looking as it seems the brace or whatever it is called has moved.
The seatback frame is very sturdy and made into one solid piece. The seatback foam is one large formed piece that completely gives the seat it's shape and form. For the seatback the foam is laid over the steel frame from the top in glove style then the cloth or leather cover is slipped and secured over it. Sounds like the foam seatback may have ripped and collapsed in the area you are having an issue with causing you to feel the steel frame. The seatback foam is very fragile and can easily rip, especially in areas of the foam where the mold was shallow or thin. I can see how this foam might wear thin and tear over a period of time requiring a new or replacement foam form to restore it to the correct condition.

Here are pictures of my 08 when I was in the process of changing the cloth material to leather take-offs. You can see the bare steel frame. That is what it looks like when you slip the foam off. So if the foam rips, it collapses or moves exposing the steel frame.

Good news is sometimes you can find on eBay take off cloth seat covers for cheap that still have the foam seatback form installed in them. The seatback foam is identical between cloth and leather seats so they will fit.

Last edited by watchdevil; 7/24/12 at 01:25 AM.