Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help -- Tune Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/12, 04:51 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help -- Tune Problem?

I'll try to keep this short.
4.6 GT premium vert with FRPP CAI currently running a Bama 91S tune.

I've been running this setup with no problems for at least six months
But, over the last month or so, the car has (3) times thrown a wrench icon and gone into limp mode. Each time, shutting it off and starting up again cleared the wrench and the car ran fine. Each time, I checked for DTCs with my SCT tuner and found nothing listed. Yesterday, the same thing occurred. This time, I got both the wrench and engine icons. When I checked for DTCs, P2106 and P2135 were listed. (It appears these are throttle sensor issues) I cleared the codes and the car ran fine. Decided to return it to stock and see if the issue reoccurred.
Here's where the fun begins... This morning, I started the car and backed it out of the garage. Shut down, popped the hood, changed to the stock air cleaner. Plugged in the SCT, returned the tune to stock following the prompts. Unplugged the tuner and attempted to start the car and it won't start. Won't even crank. WTH? Interestingly, the message center displays the mileage for a second, then goes to dashes.
At present, I've unhooked the battery and put it on the charger.
I don't think the battery's dead, but I figured I could charge it during the 20 minute downtime recommended to cold boot the ECU.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 7/16/12, 12:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those 2 codes together, I would say it's the Throttle Body. It's very easy to take it off and clean it, and that's what I would try first.

Disconnect the battery, clean TB and check spring action, put TB back in, reconnect battery, install tune, and it let us know how it goes.
Old 7/16/12, 12:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also after doing this the idle may act up, drive it for ten minutes and it should be fine. It's just the computer trying to relearn how to work without all the "gunk" in the TB.
Old 7/16/12, 07:47 AM
Number Cruncher

Thanks for the response Planeswalker.
I figured it was the throttlebody and was going to have my dealer look into the codes.
The real problem is I can't start the car after returning it to stock.
It won't even crank. Battery is good and fully charged.
When info is requested on the Message Center, it displays a number of errors; "DTE ODO DATA ERR, AFE ODO DATA ERR, IFE ODO DATA ERR, FU FF DATA ERR", ect...

Anybody have any experience with a non-starting car after returning tune to stock?

By the way, I use an SCT/X3 tuner and Bama tunes that were purchased from American Muscle. I've previously returned the tune to stock 3 or 4 times and never any problems.
Old 7/16/12, 08:03 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Load the stock tune again, It might have corrupted the data during the re-flash. Worth a shot
Old 7/16/12, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

In the past I've learned the hard way that you must have all other electrical components off (I.e. radio, A/C, etc.) when flashing. They could cause interference!
Old 7/16/12, 01:29 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by KdF
Load the stock tune again, It might have corrupted the data during the re-flash. Worth a shot
Thanks for the suggestion, but been there, done that...
Even re-flashed back to the custom tune it was running on before the no start problem occurred.

Originally Posted by mburnette
In the past I've learned the hard way that you must have all other electrical components off (I.e. radio, A/C, etc.) when flashing. They could cause interference!
Thanks for the reply. Everything was turned off.
Old 7/16/12, 01:30 PM
Number Cruncher

Update:

Called Bama this morning. They referred me to SCT.
I'll be working with SCT when I get home from work today.
Hopefully, I can post a resolution later.
Old 7/16/12, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
I'll try to keep this short.
4.6 GT premium vert with FRPP CAI currently running a Bama 91S tune.

I've been running this setup with no problems for at least six months
But, over the last month or so, the car has (3) times thrown a wrench icon and gone into limp mode. Each time, shutting it off and starting up again cleared the wrench and the car ran fine. Each time, I checked for DTCs with my SCT tuner and found nothing listed. Yesterday, the same thing occurred. This time, I got both the wrench and engine icons. When I checked for DTCs, P2106 and P2135 were listed. (It appears these are throttle sensor issues) I cleared the codes and the car ran fine. Decided to return it to stock and see if the issue reoccurred.
Here's where the fun begins... This morning, I started the car and backed it out of the garage. Shut down, popped the hood, changed to the stock air cleaner. Plugged in the SCT, returned the tune to stock following the prompts. Unplugged the tuner and attempted to start the car and it won't start. Won't even crank. WTH? Interestingly, the message center displays the mileage for a second, then goes to dashes.
At present, I've unhooked the battery and put it on the charger.
I don't think the battery's dead, but I figured I could charge it during the 20 minute downtime recommended to cold boot the ECU.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Any suggestions are welcome.
Lennyb44,

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing. However it does sound like somethings going on with the software it self when attempting to return the car to stock, I am confident SCT will be able to send you a Firmware update & get you squared away!

As far as the CEL's go, I would defiantly take the throttle body of & clean in really good. Majority of the time that will fix any throttle body issues, if it does not we can look deeper into your tune file & see if anything looks out of the ordinary! Our tunes are good 99% of the time, occasionally there are small errors because we hand write each tune. If for some reason something like this has happened, I am confident my Bama team will get you squared away quickly!

Keep us posted & Thank you for sticking it out with Bama/SCT we greatly appreciate it!

- Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 7/16/12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 7/20/12, 08:43 PM
Number Cruncher

Update for anyone still interested.

After spending a number of hours online and on the phone with the nice techs at SCT, we determined that my SF3 tuner had a glitch that couldn't be repaired remotely. Shipped it off to Florida yesterday where I'm told they'll keep it for up to 15 days and either repair it, or replace it.

Had the car towed to my dealer. Here's the quote from my service ticket:

"34000 -- Performed diagnosis and found that the PCM memory was empty, reprogammed to as built data and retested, found throttle body not responding, replaced throttle body and all OK after repair"

That being said, I'm somewhat lighter in the wallet and happy to have my baby back on the road.

Now I'll wait to get my tuner back and see what the verdict is there.
Old 7/25/12, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Update for anyone still interested.

After spending a number of hours online and on the phone with the nice techs at SCT, we determined that my SF3 tuner had a glitch that couldn't be repaired remotely. Shipped it off to Florida yesterday where I'm told they'll keep it for up to 15 days and either repair it, or replace it.

Had the car towed to my dealer. Here's the quote from my service ticket:

"34000 -- Performed diagnosis and found that the PCM memory was empty, reprogammed to as built data and retested, found throttle body not responding, replaced throttle body and all OK after repair"

That being said, I'm somewhat lighter in the wallet and happy to have my baby back on the road.

Now I'll wait to get my tuner back and see what the verdict is there.
Since the dealership had to re-flash your PCM, won't you need to have the tunes fixed also?
Old 7/25/12, 10:51 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Oh yes, you have to get the PCM code so the Tuner can be programmed to that flash. If not, you will hork your PCM again!. Did they give you the New code? Or did they replace the sticker on the side of the PCM?
Old 7/25/12, 06:35 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Since the dealership had to re-flash your PCM, won't you need to have the tunes fixed also?
Originally Posted by KdF
Oh yes, you have to get the PCM code so the Tuner can be programmed to that flash. If not, you will hork your PCM again!. Did they give you the New code? Or did they replace the sticker on the side of the PCM?
Actually, a moot point for now. My tuner's at SCT.

Dealer said they "reprogrammed to as built data".
And, they did not change the sticker under the hood.
But, I'll check the strategy code before I even attempt to upload a tune. If the code is changed, I'll have Bama redo my tunes for the new code.
Bama's lifetime free tunes guarantee is becoming a real blessing.
Old 7/25/12, 06:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Glad you're on top of it. I didn't want you to brick your car again, as soon as you got it fixed.
Old 7/26/12, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor

Actually, a moot point for now. My tuner's at SCT.

Dealer said they "reprogrammed to as built data".
And, they did not change the sticker under the hood.
But, I'll check the strategy code before I even attempt to upload a tune. If the code is changed, I'll have Bama redo my tunes for the new code.
Bama's lifetime free tunes guarantee is becoming a real blessing.

Lennyb44,

So glad you've gotten everything worked out for the most part. Our Free Tunes for Life program, is definitely handy in situations like this! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Shane