Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver window not rolling up

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/14, 11:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver window not rolling up

Hello all, it's been a while since I've been on here but I'm happy to be back! Yesterday I encountered a minor issue with my 06 GT. The battery was dead after having not been driven in about 5-7 days (unusual, since It's sat for longer than that and been fine. It was unlocked, and nothing was left on). No big deal, I put a charger on it and used a different car. The next day I took the charger off and started it up, and the driver side window rolled down halfway on it's own! Now it won't go back up all the way no matter. It goes all the way up, then immediately comes down. I've tried resetting the bump stop by holding down the switch as detailed in the owner's manual, and even tried unhooking the negative battery cable to reset the window calibration. Nothing works.

It will go up and stay up if the door is open, but as soon as it is shut, the window goes up the 1/2 inch or so to seal the gap, and then immediately rolls back down again. It comes back down no matter if I use the auto up, or just the manual up on the switch. It seems like it just needs to be recalibrated, but nothing I do helps. Help!! Any ideas?
Old 8/7/14, 01:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You tried resetting both the UP and DOWN stops?
And it's still doing it?

Almost like when it goes up to seal it has that auto bounce for something in the way (like an arm) like it's ultra sensitive.
Old 8/7/14, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've tried resetting both up and down. When it gets to the top when the door is closed, it bounces every time. Right off the bat after disconnecting the battery it bounced. Can't reset it if it bounces back every time rather than stall out.

I did just find this bit of info on the interwebs, so I'm going to try that tonight when I get home. I'll update later with the results!

FORD: 2005-2007 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may exhibit issues with the functional power window features including one touch up, short drop, and bounce back.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the root cause is incorrect or no window initialization of the Smart Window Motor.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform a de-initialization procedure of the smart motor / side window glass, followed by re-initialization procedure.

NOTE: WINDOW RE-INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOORS CLOSED.

NOTE: ON CONVERTIBLES, WINDOWS COULD BOUNCE BACK IF THE SIDE GLASS IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. REFER TO THE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 501-11.

NOTE: CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE DOOR SEAL OR MIRROR SEAL IS NOT ROLLED OVER OR BINDING. ALSO, THAT THERE IS NO OBSTRUCTION IN GLASS SEALING AREA AND THE GLASS FIT AND/OR REGULATOR MECHANICAL FASTENING IS NOT LOOSE.

DE-INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

De-initialization (un-learning) of the smart window motor clears the memory of the module and shuts off the One-Touch UP, Bounce Back and Short Drop functions.
The smart window motors can be de-initialized in two (2) different ways:
Disconnect the battery cable from the battery WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
Remove the window motor fuse from the Power Distribution Box WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
After performing one of the above procedures, the smart motor must be re-initialized, see Initialization Procedure.
INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR CLOSED! (For convertibles, top and the quarter glass must be in the up / closed position.)
From the window switch, perform the following steps without stopping:
Operate the window UP and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
Operate the window DOWN and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
The smart window motor will be initialized and one-touch-UP and Short Drop will be operational.
Cycle the window glass an additional five (5) times to set the window "Soft Stop" for the down position.
TIP - VOLTAGE RANGE OF OPERATION: 9-16 VOLTS (AT THE MOTOR)

The smart motor will ONLY function in the 9-16 volt range; if the voltage at the smart motor drops below 9 volts, the window may not function properly or prematurely stop moving
If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is moving, the motor will become de-initialized (one-touch UP and Short Drop will be inoperable)
If the motor becomes de-initialized due to low voltage, see initialization procedure. for instructions
Old 8/24/14, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Finally got around to trying this, (needs two people to do it by disconnecting the battery and cycling the window at the same time). It worked perfectly. Interwebs to the rescue again!
Old 7/22/19, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My passenger window is stuck all the way down and I can't get it to go up!! And it's about to rain? What can I do?
Old 2/22/20, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Mustang, top not working. Also the quarter windows stopped working

Hydraulics are good. Motor runs when hotwired. Checked frame mini switch on passengers side. Hotwired it. No change. I can hear the relays clicking when top switch is pressed up or down. Rear Qtr. Windows DID work. Now not coming up either. Anybody have any ideas? Are there relays in trunk on the right rear qtr. area for the top??