Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

driver door ajar light on

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/13, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver door ajar light on

My "Driver door ajar" light is on and stays on. The window will not tuck inside the seal and when I activate the alarm I get (2) two horn honks instead of (1) one. This started about 3 days ago but after opening and closing the door several times finally went off. But now it is on and no matter how many times I open and shut the door the light will not go off and the window will not seal. Any ideas anybody??
Old 11/9/13, 07:43 PM

My Mustang is a 2007 GT 4.6 8CYC
Old 11/9/13, 09:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess the door switch in the jam. Are the dome lights on? Not sure if the switch has two poles or one.
Old 11/10/13, 08:06 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you get 2 honks when locking then the system is reading a sensor as open. Makes sense, since you are also getting a driver door open alert - so that tells you what sensor is going out and should save some time in getting the replacement part.
Old 11/17/13, 01:06 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just fixed this on my '07 GT 6 months ago. There is a sensor in the door behind the latch that is failing. You have to replace that. I think I have part numbers saved still, along with instructions on how to do it. Can't check until tomorrow morning, but I'll post them up if I find them.
Old 11/18/13, 09:42 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here are the instructions for replacing this door ajar switch.

Door panel - http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=441&viewfil...im%20Panel.pdf

Door Latch - http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfile=Door%20Latch.pdf

Door Ajar Switch - http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfil...r%20Switch.pdf

The switch is attached to the latch, so you need to do them in this order.

I had a problem with ordering a generic switch online, when I plugged it in it worked exactly reverse of what it should. So make sure you get one that is specific to the mustang.

I'm afraid I can't find the info for where and what part number I purchased, but I'll keep looking.

Good luck.
Old 1/21/17, 09:45 PM

Thanks, the instructions were very helpful. I replaced the door ajar switch and it is doing the reverse as it should. How did you fix it? Did you order the correct switch?
Old 1/25/17, 06:48 PM

I am having the exact same issue with my 2008 Mustang

Originally Posted by Mike DiRando
My "Driver door ajar" light is on and stays on. The window will not tuck inside the seal and when I activate the alarm I get (2) two horn honks instead of (1) one. This started about 3 days ago but after opening and closing the door several times finally went off. But now it is on and no matter how many times I open and shut the door the light will not go off and the window will not seal. Any ideas anybody??

I am having the same issue with my Mustang. Where did you find the sensor and would replacing it be the same as with ano older model?
Old 1/27/17, 07:29 PM

I fixed the "driver door ajar" issue by replacing the door ajar switch. I first replaced the switch with a aftermarket part from an auto parts store and it was operating in the reverse as it should. When the door was open it thought it was closed and when the door was closed it thought it was open. So I replaced it with the OEM part from the dealer and it fixed the problem. The part number is Motorcraft: SW6121 Part Number: 4LZ 13713 AA. The part cost $48.16 with taxes from the dealer. Follow the instructions from "jayguy" posted on 11/18/13 and also they have good videos on how to remove your door panel on youtube. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12/23/23, 04:22 PM

Do NOT try this at home!

Just kidding but ****!!!! It's a hellofa job. Make certain if you're doing the driver door, get the twice as expensive proper sensor...go figure🤬 $50+
getting the outside door latch rod off proved impossible for me. So I made due with dropping the mechanism down enough...
Be carefully to remember where you disconnected the sensor from, it is tricky.
Push and twist left to get er out. There's a video on YouTube where dude makes it look so simple on passenger door. Pops right out he says! Push and twist, easy peasy...right!🤬
Disconnect all wires from the interior panel and put it out of the way. I didn't and broke the connection to the lock switch 🤬
Have star type sockets / wrench keys on hand...
try your best not to force anything! I broke one latch side off the sensor putting it in the wrong place. But the one side held it tight. Phew...
Get ready to do some serious cussing.
Just being honest here....
Old 12/23/23, 04:31 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Also Related See

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-issue-549709/

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 12/23/23 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12/23/23, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ARoss
Just kidding but ****!!!! It's a hellofa job. Make certain if you're doing the driver door, get the twice as expensive proper sensor...go figure🤬 $50+
getting the outside door latch rod off proved impossible for me. So I made due with dropping the mechanism down enough...
Be carefully to remember where you disconnected the sensor from, it is tricky.
Push and twist left to get er out. There's a video on YouTube where dude makes it look so simple on passenger door. Pops right out he says! Push and twist, easy peasy...right!🤬
Disconnect all wires from the interior panel and put it out of the way. I didn't and broke the connection to the lock switch 🤬
Have star type sockets / wrench keys on hand...
try your best not to force anything! I broke one latch side off the sensor putting it in the wrong place. But the one side held it tight. Phew...
Get ready to do some serious cussing.
Just being honest here....

Welcome!

Many of Us Have Been There Done That!

Love To Have You Post Some Pics Of Your Car And Your Story in Introductions!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f650/

KC
Old 3/30/24, 11:45 AM

Door latch switch

That would help me out. It's my Passenger side door that is doing that. It would be great if I could get all that information from you. Or at least where you found it.
Old 3/30/24, 12:01 PM

How About These!