Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
try an optima battery gell cell won't leak acid or freeze in winter time...they will basically hold a charge for a lifetime, I hadnt used it in like 2 yrs was for an old stero in the other car, then the other car needed a new battery and it started right up and was fully charged when I put it in
Tell that to the GT40s in the showroom we had to jump all the time...And my 'knowledgeable' self had to do it-leaning into the car over the fender and not scratching anything with a jump box in cars I didn't sell was always my favorite thing...
Old 4/2/07, 11:52 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a new battery but now am having the same problem with the radio. didnt front the money for an Optima, i just bought a ford motorcraft. If I just pull the fuse will this reset the radio?

not sure what else to try...
Old 4/6/07, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TungStang
Three times in about two weeks I had a dead battery. Pulled fuse #56 in engine bay to kill radio. No dead battery for the next three weeks. Had local dealer check it out and the radio was replaced by them. Putting a battery charger on the car should only be done if your car is being put in storage for a few months at a time. All other dead battery events are caused by something else and should be checked out!

I've had the same dead battery issue. Many on this board were pointing to the active alarm system, however, some have been pointing to the shaker 1000. Do you have a shaker 1000 system?
Old 4/6/07, 01:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I have had dead battery issues too - if I disconnect the battery, it stays charged. Hook it up and leave it alone for a week and it is dead. If I keep a charger on it from time to time during the week, it will hold a charge. I have a Shaker 500.
Old 4/7/07, 10:12 AM
GT Member

I took mine in yesterday for this issue. As I mentioned before I bought a new battery a couple weeks ago. Turns out the shaker amp is the problem, it is still drawing power when the car is off. dealer is ordering the part and I will take it back in next week. for now the amp fuse is pulled and I have had no problems.
Old 4/8/07, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Is this (battery drain) problem with the Shaker 1000 only, or the 500 too?
Old 4/8/07, 05:20 PM
GT Member

I have the shaker 500, cant speak for the shaker 1000...
Old 4/8/07, 05:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the 500 too - it will be interesting to see if your problem is fixed. Make sure to post your results...
Old 4/8/07, 05:30 PM
GT Member

will do...
my dealer told me they will have the part monday. I will probably take it in tuesday morning.
Old 4/9/07, 05:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Tell that to the GT40s in the showroom we had to jump all the time...And my 'knowledgeable' self had to do it-leaning into the car over the fender and not scratching anything with a jump box in cars I didn't sell was always my favorite thing...
I've never worked on or touched a 05-06 Ford GT, but for cars that I need to charge/jump without scratching the car, I route the cables from underneath the car and up through the engine compartment. If necessary, I put the charger inside the engine compartment (with something underneath it to prevent scratches).

If the Shaker 500/1000 is draining the battery, it and/or the amps need to be replaced. We have 52 A-h batteries, so if they are discharging in under 1 month, something is WRONG.
Old 4/9/07, 07:24 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,623 Posts
Originally Posted by TungStang
Three times in about two weeks I had a dead battery. Pulled fuse #56 in engine bay to kill radio. No dead battery for the next three weeks. Had local dealer check it out and the radio was replaced by them. Putting a battery charger on the car should only be done if your car is being put in storage for a few months at a time. All other dead battery events are caused by something else and should be checked out!
After taking my car to 3 different dealerships and 2 field service engineers who ran battery run down tests along with testing the amperage readings and shaker 500..I was told it was the KEEP ALIVE MEMORY that was responsible for killing the batteries and to run a battery tender if the car is not to be in use for more than a 7-10 day period and although I haven't experienced any further battery failures since ? I'm still not convinced that the shaker 500/1000 isn't in someway responsible especially after what you just posted about not having a dead battery for over 3 weeks from just pulling the radio/amp fuse..This is really very interesting and am very curious if you've experienced any further battery failures since the local dealer replaced your radio and would also like to know what's the longest period of time you've let your Stang sit without starting it as well...
Old 4/9/07, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mlgstang
I took mine in yesterday for this issue. As I mentioned before I bought a new battery a couple weeks ago. Turns out the shaker amp is the problem, it is still drawing power when the car is off. dealer is ordering the part and I will take it back in next week. for now the amp fuse is pulled and I have had no problems.
Mlgstang just a couple of questions..can you explain in what way is the shaker still drawing power when the car is off and exactly what part is your local dealer ordering for you ? Thanks
Old 4/9/07, 08:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
After taking my car to 3 different dealerships and 2 field service engineers who ran battery run down tests along with testing the amperage readings and shaker 500..I was told it was the KEEP ALIVE MEMORY that was responsible for killing the batteries and to run a battery tender if the car is not to be in use for more than a 7-10 day period and although I haven't experienced any further battery failures since ? I'm still not convinced that the shaker 500/1000 isn't in someway responsible especially after what you just posted about not having a dead battery for over 3 weeks from just pulling the radio/amp fuse..This is really very interesting and am very curious if you've experienced any further battery failures since the local dealer replaced your radio and would also like to know what's the longest period of time you've let your Stang sit without starting it as well...
Every OBD-I and OBD-II car has keep alive memory. KAM is not the cause of your battery draining out completely. Of course the battery tender is going to keep it alive. It is maintaining a charge on the battery. You're putting a charger on a battery and exclaiming the battery isn't self-discharging.
Old 4/9/07, 08:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I have the base radio. I do not lock my car doors in the garage. I can leave the car for 3 weeks or more with no problems at all.
Old 4/9/07, 08:18 PM
GT Member

I was told there was short in the amp causing it to draw power. as for the part they are ordering, i did not ask what the specific part was. I just assumed it was the amp. is the amp contained in the head unit or is it a seperate part? maybe I should ask more questions instead of take thier word for it. I can tell you this, since mid last week I have been driving around with amp fuse pulled with no problems. when I take it back I will find out exactly what part is being replace and keep you all informed.
Old 4/9/07, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Seems like you take your car to five different dealers, and you will get five different stories.

Having a new car that you can't leave for a few days without a dead battery is sad. Having to use chargers, pull fuses, stand on one leg and wave your left hand is just wrong.

There are many other modern cars with high-tech (high powered) electronics out there. Are the Corvette guys having to keep their cars on chargers? How about Cadillacs?

This is the kind of stuff you did as a teenager with your 25-year-old pile of junk. (Back then you did not mind so much because you only paid $500 for the car - but you still loved it).

Don't get me wrong, I really love my car, but having to deal with such an on-going problem is a load of cabbage...

These issues should have gone the way of carburetors and points.
Old 4/9/07, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Every OBD-I and OBD-II car has keep alive memory. KAM is not the cause of your battery draining out completely. Of course the battery tender is going to keep it alive. It is maintaining a charge on the battery. You're putting a charger on a battery and exclaiming the battery isn't self-discharging.
Well in that case the field service engineers must be full of so if it's not the keep alive memory, then what exactly is draining these batteries in less than a 30 day period as this is getting more and more frustrating I also took your advice from a few months ago and had the dealer check the smart junction box along with the PCM and once again was told there was no abnormal current draw..That being said, is the shaker 500/1000 capable of causing enough of a draw to drain these batteries completely in less than a 30 day period
Old 4/9/07, 08:58 PM

I was told there was short in the amp causing it to draw power. as for the part they are ordering, i did not ask what the specific part was. I just assumed it was the amp. is the amp contained in the head unit or is it a seperate part? maybe I should ask more questions instead of take thier word for it. I can tell you this, since mid last week I have been driving around with amp fuse pulled with no problems. when I take it back I will find out exactly what part is being replace and keep you all informed.
From my understanding, the amp is located either above the head unit somewhere behind the dash or in the trunk area..Anyway if you can find out exactly what part is being replaced ? I'd be extremely grateful as I've been going through this problem for over 2 years now and still have no idea what's draining these batteries in less than a 30 day period..
Old 4/9/07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by red454
Seems like you take your car to five different dealers, and you will get five different stories.

Having a new car that you can't leave for a few days without a dead battery is sad. Having to use chargers, pull fuses, stand on one leg and wave your left hand is just wrong.

There are many other modern cars with high-tech (high powered) electronics out there. Are the Corvette guys having to keep their cars on chargers? How about Cadillacs?

This is the kind of stuff you did as a teenager with your 25-year-old pile of junk. (Back then you did not mind so much because you only paid $500 for the car - but you still loved it).

Don't get me wrong, I really love my car, but having to deal with such an on-going problem is a load of cabbage...

These issues should have gone the way of carburetors and points.
Couldn't had said it any better myself...
Old 4/10/07, 01:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

The amps for the shaker 1000 trunk subs are located in the trunk, behind the subs. The amps for the door subs (500 and 1000) are located behind the kick panel in the driver side footwell.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery