Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/06, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One additional benefit of no power... that nifty thing that the car does of quickly lowering the window slighty and then raising it doesn't happen... lol... now the window hits the trim... so I have to leave the door slightly open... which I think is more prudent than trying to force it closed (it almost looks like it will make it but won't close with reasonable force).
Old 3/11/06, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

steve(tempman)

if your stuck with the amp not turning off, and ford wont fix it i have a suggestion for you.

pull fuse 6 and install a relay into that fuse port

to do this you will need to solder 2 spades to the end of the supply and load wires on the relay,
be sure to install an inline fuse of the same size in one of the lines. plug them into the fuse cavity.

hook the ground wire from the relay to ground and hook the trigger/request wire to a circuit that you know goes dead when you take the key out

this way the amps will turn off when you pull the keys and you wont have to go under the hood and pop the fuse in and out all the time.

jay
Old 3/11/06, 07:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine showed 9 volts. One month between failures.
looks like Ford got a bad batch of batteries. The 2nd time they just replaced it.
Old 3/11/06, 01:04 PM

Thanks fo rthe tip jay

I have already managed a fix as follows:

In the trunk, at the shaker amps, I cut both feeds - 1 from each fuse , and instaled two relays . The trigger for each being taken from the aux connection at the rear of the shaker head unit . basically when the shaker head unit switches off the feed to the relays is cut & power is removed from each pair of amps.

Sadly though I have now sold the car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

It has been fun for the 6 months I had it despite the battery issues. I can now tick it off my list of cars I have loved to own.

I am back onto mercedes now, a very nice SL350 in jasper blue.

thanks guys for all your advise .

steve
Old 3/14/06, 09:08 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sillystanger:

Why didn't you leave the door open before disconnecting the battery?

Open the door before you pull the battery connection off.
This way the seal won't go back up and the door will close normally
Old 3/5/07, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Hey all!
Also got my battery dead, after 2 weeks of sitting in the garage. I assume these batteries asrent of the best quality.

There hasnt been much talk about replacing the factory battery with other brands. Which are the better ones out there, to replace the factory ones with? I read about Optima Red... are those more on the high end? What other brands are you guys using as replacement?
Old 3/6/07, 12:01 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If i'm wrong someone please chim in but this is what I have noticed ,when the battery is low because of the anti-theft being on or the car sitting for a long period of time and no start up for a while the radio will start to cycle on start up ,if the battery gets really low(near dead) because of the car being parked for 2 or more months without being started it seems that the CD player when the voltage drops enough will cycle on it's own killing the battery in the car even when the car is turned off.
I have had to disconnect the battery for the winter in the car when it is in storage ,between the anti -theft and the CD player it's just not helping the battery.
I noticed this last year haveing to jump start the stang and with only a few minuetes running for charge up the radio started to cycle and wouldn't stop even with the car and the radio itself turned off.
Old 3/6/07, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

yup same issues here. **** battery just keeps dying after about a week.
I orginally thought it was my CompuStar alarm. But now i see its a common problem.

Anyway i managed to get myself a clampon DC amp meter and will be doing some extensive testing in a few days. I did want to try out the Radio OFF theory though and did a quick 5 min test.
This is what i found.

When all the electronics in the stang settle down the current draw is about 0.120A (which is normal). The battery should not drain in a week.

I tested the current draw with leaving the radio OFF before shutting off the car and also when leaiving the radio ON.
In both cases the current settled back down to 0.120A.
So it seems initialy that the Radio doesn't have anything to do with it.

But what if it turns on later sometime.
So Next i will leave the amp meter on for the whole day and see what Peak current draw i get. Unfortuenly i won't be able to find out how long current spikes will be, but at least i will know if the current rises about 0.120A through the day.

I will test this with the Radio ON first. And see what happens.

I'll post my results in a few days.
Old 3/6/07, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

try an optima battery gell cell won't leak acid or freeze in winter time...they will basically hold a charge for a lifetime, I hadnt used it in like 2 yrs was for an old stero in the other car, then the other car needed a new battery and it started right up and was fully charged when I put it in
Old 3/6/07, 11:54 PM
legacy Tms Member

What I belive is happening is at some point when the voltage gets too low on the battery is that the radio starts to cycle even with everything turned off .So car sits for while, battery slowly discharges from anti -theft system then radio starts on it's own to cycle killing battery.
If you can simulate a voltage drop on the main wire to the radio when it's shut off see if it starts to cycle .
Old 3/7/07, 02:28 AM
V6 Member

Add me to the Dead Battery Of The Week Club. After sitting for 7 days, I went to pull it out of the garage to wash her. No power, nothing. I popped the hood and checked the voltage across the terminals. It read 3.10 volts.

I had it towed to the dealer and they said they cheked it out and nothing was wrong with the car. I was told, "They just do that sometimes."

I did'nt pay 35 grand for a car to decide not to start after a week. Honestly, i'm kinda PO'd that FOrd has not addressed this problem, cause reading this post it has been a serious problem for awhile.

Gotta call, gotta go...
Old 3/7/07, 02:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SuperCJ
I did'nt pay 35 grand for a car to decide not to start after a week. Honestly, i'm kinda PO'd that FOrd has not addressed this problem, cause reading this post it has been a serious problem for awhile.

Gotta call, gotta go...
I'm PO'ed for you first speeding 35k on a coupe, I spent 24k for the premium when it was new, second it shouldnt happen. I take mine for longer highway joy rides to charge the battery, It could happen if you take it on short trips not allowing it to get a good charge. Personally that has happened to me a few times, they were all in the winter after not starting the car for 2-3 weeks at a time. Which is good either, but I was at school when these occurances took place. The funny thing is if you charge the battery to between i believe 12-14 the car doess have anylights, any less than that and all kinds of codes get disrupted. I am not sure the exact range but I think thats correct.
Old 3/8/07, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ripstang
What I belive is happening is at some point when the voltage gets too low on the battery is that the radio starts to cycle even with everything turned off .So car sits for while, battery slowly discharges from anti -theft system then radio starts on it's own to cycle killing battery.
If you can simulate a voltage drop on the main wire to the radio when it's shut off see if it starts to cycle .

I notice that happening when i put an amp meter inline with the battery. If i turned on too many things (etc lights). The radio started cycling through the CDs even though it was off. Its like it was reset and it needs to check the cd bank again. Pretty screwed up anyway.

Tomorrow i will be puting the Radio on/off theory to the test and see what happens.
Old 3/10/07, 12:22 AM
legacy Tms Member

Thanks Nick let me know what you get.
Old 3/10/07, 12:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Craig you gotta move to a warmer climate Heck I can even have the top down and did too tonight for I drove my X and my son to his first football game , ( She loved my new Pony ) Yes They Won Woo Hoo, anyway I have never had a battery issue except if I disconnect to reset the cars pc for milage indicatorthan on my 07 GT/CS that the passenger window will loose its memory ? so my 10 yr old son dug out the book looked it up & recalibrated the window and its good , window allway down then up & hold switch up for 3 seconds and walla.
Old 3/10/07, 12:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

LOL... Ed I'd love to move to a warmer climate but the job is here and while you son dig's out the book for the stang I'm digging out my driveway to get to my stang

This could explane why the battery is dead and I only have 15,000 km on the car .
Old 3/19/07, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the factory warranty on batteries?
Old 3/19/07, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's not just the factory batteries,I have a Schosche Dry cell and I have had this happen to it also. There's something on the mustangs that causes the battery to drain,I havn't figured it out yet. I had to jump my car off today,but after a couple of hours of driving it cranks just fine. This is an on going problem.
Old 3/19/07, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It's the SJB shorted out by water from driving or parking in the rain.
Old 3/27/07, 05:18 PM

dead battery after a few days

Three times in about two weeks I had a dead battery. Pulled fuse #56 in engine bay to kill radio. No dead battery for the next three weeks. Had local dealer check it out and the radio was replaced by them. Putting a battery charger on the car should only be done if your car is being put in storage for a few months at a time. All other dead battery events are caused by something else and should be checked out!

Quick Reply: Dead Battery