Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/05, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tempman, something strange here. My owners manual shows that fuses 6 and 9 are for shaker 1000 and 16 is for the shaker 500. These are located in the main power fuse box in the engine compartment. My car was built in July of '05. Fuse 5 in my book is for right front window motor. Hmm! The only way I can figure checking any further is to get the wiring diagtrams or go to the dealer and hope they can sort it out. We might be getting closer to figuring this out , but we need wiring diagrams. .12 seems like a more reasonable current dram for the ECM. Do you have active ant-theft and if so was it off?

By the way do you Brits have a different number for 6 instead of 5?
(Just kidding)
Old 12/30/05, 05:01 AM

OOPS! Well is was dark and it was cold ..

I just double checked !

The fuse that I meant to say was of course Fuse 6 the shaker fuse . thanks for pointing that out. I 'm pretty sure we still speak a similar language to america

I HAVE EDITED THE PREVIOUS POST NOW TO SHOW THE CORRECT FUSE ie 6

I have the active anti theft system and it was off when I was testing last night. or at least I am assuming it was off - it doesnt come on by default when the battery is connected does it? anyhow the alarm didnt sound so I guess it was off.

So, I am in a dilema because as the car is an unoffical import Ford will not provide any warranty ! is it likely that the amp could be repaired?

I may just leave the shaker fuses out for good. I prefer the sound of the engine & exhaust anyhow.

I have a DVD I bought off ebay that contains al kinds of workshop stuff, I'll have a look & see if there is a wiring diagram.
Old 12/30/05, 06:15 AM

Tempman, I feel better about the correct fuse number now! There is no way that there should be power draw from the amplifier with radio off unless there is something else on that circuit. My guess is there must be an on/off signal from the radio telling the amp to turn on which is of a low current level. It must turn on the high power side of the amp. From there I'm lost. Maybe someone on this site can tell us how it works.
Old 1/2/06, 02:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

One of the first accessories I bought for my Mustang was a Optima red top and a battery tender. Those along with a car cover and winter floor mats. I want to keep my mustang in tip top shape. Reading these forums of others issues will help me watch out for problems. So thanks for all the info guys!
Old 1/2/06, 04:00 PM

I too have had battery problems. I put it in storage underground parking in Nov. 05 for winter with the intension of stating it and letting it run for awhile once a week. I missed a week and the battery was dead. Got a boost and let it run for awhile. Will take the battery out and put it on trickle charge until I need it. Will go see the dealer in the Spring and have some tests done.
Old 1/6/06, 02:00 PM
V6 Member

Since my first post I have the same thing happen 3 times. At first when i put the car in storage i was starting it up every 5 days or so. I missed a week and the battery was dead. I called ford roadside and they jumped it for me. I let it run for a half hor or so. I shut it off and restarted. Everything seemed ok. I removed the amplifier fuse just to be sure. Next day..."battery was dead again.
Talked to the dealer and they want the car for the day. I think I will wait until spring.
Do you think the battery is punched. Comments please.
Old 1/6/06, 02:04 PM
GT Member

As I posted earlier, both my battery and alternator were bad and were replaced by the dealer. Might be worth having the dealer keep the car for a day or so to get the problem sorted out.
Old 1/6/06, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

i will try that and keep you posted...thanks
Old 1/6/06, 03:39 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I yanked the battery out of my car last night and took it to the dealer. They ended up testing the battery and found that it was a dud. I'm picking up a new one tommorow.

The minute I get the battery installed, I am going to test if the amplifier circuit is "hot" when the car is off.

Hope that helps
Old 1/6/06, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

finally...........some results no issues with giving you another battery.. Keep us informed in regards to the amplifier circuit :bang:
Old 1/6/06, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

hey Galaxie....where in TO are you. I am down here in Burlington
Old 1/6/06, 04:40 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Ken,

I am in Brampton, keep an eye out in the Canada section of TMS, we will probably be doing meets in the spring

In other news... I wanted to upgrade to a better battery, but with the warranty, all I can get is the same part number back.
Old 1/7/06, 12:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I received my new battery from the dealer this morning (they were really good about it too)

I checked the current draw of the shaker500 amplifier (fuse 16)

With the key removed and the radio turned off manually, there was no current draw

With the key on "On" and the radio on, the current draw was about 1.5-2.0A

With the key removed and the radio left on, there was some current for a split second, and then went to zero. This looks to be correct as there was probably some residual charge in the system. It wasn't a constant current draw that would drain the battery.

I am guessing that the root cause of my problem was the battery was a dud, when the weather got cool before I put the car away, there was a noticeable difference in the way the car started. The car did sit on the dealer lot for about 3 months before I bought it, this could have contributed a negative effect on the life of the battery.

I disconnected the negative terminal for safe measure while my car is sitting.
Old 1/8/06, 03:13 PM

Glad your issue seems to be satisfactorily resolved.
As I dont have any warranty support, I just went to my Ford dealer & asked for the next size up battery - which was 70AH and was a genuine ford motorcraft battery.
I had to cut away part of the battery tray as the new one was slighly wider . The car fires up a lot better but I have yet to test the shaker amps . I still have the fuses pulled. I'll post again when I have more info.
Old 1/8/06, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just wondering if the ones with the problems have had a radio installed yet under that tsb for bad disc/skipping problem? I know my shaker 1000 started humming one day after I just started the car with the old radio. I shut the car off, restarted and everything was ok. Haven't had any problems with the new radio. Just curious if there might be a link to tempman's shaker amp problem. I don't know how you'd test for that though.
Old 1/14/06, 11:15 AM

I also was having problems with the dead battery in my 2005 Mustang GT with the Shaker 500. I put it up for winter (upstate NY) starting it every 3 weeks to let it warm up etc... The first time I tried to start it after 3 weeks the battery was dead. After re-charging (which was difficult at first) I started it and let it run for 20 minutes. After turning it off I was cleaning the inside of the car with the keys in my pocket and the door open. I noticed the CD's shuffling around about every couple minutes??? I figured that if this was going on for 3 weeks the battery was likely to be drained (not to mention the un-needed wear on the CD player). I decided to put the key in the ignition (accessory mode). I then switched the CD player to radio mode then turned the radio off with the standard buttons. I took the keys out of the ignition, opened the door and waited to hear if the CD's shuffled. No shuffling. I covered the car until yesterday when I took it out since it was 55 deg. up here near the St Lawrence River! The car started fine, battery was still fully charged. I don't know if someone already mentioned that leaving the shaker 500 in CD mode with the power button on (even though the ignition is off and keys removed) can cause a battery drain but it does in my car. (This is my first post).
Old 1/15/06, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

So, I wrapped up my stang under a car cover for the winter a couple of weeks ago, but of course my plan was to start it and bring it up to temp every couple of weeks. I just went out to start her up, and it was dead as could be. All the lights were off. Obviously no accessories could have been running, so my question is: Could the anti-theft have drained the battery that much in two weeks? If so, I think it is ridiculous. Anyone have any similar stories or ideas as to what it could be other than anti-theft or just a bad battery?
Old 1/15/06, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Mine has been in storage since October 22. But I have started is several times since with no problems. Today I started it and the started seemed to drag like the battery was low. So I put the charger on it for about a half hour and it turns over fine. I noticed the indicator ball was red too. Isn't it supposed to be green? I could not find anything in the owner's manual.

Not sure why the low battery all of the sudden - it has been less than a week since I last started it and it was fine then.

I have to wonder if the cars (that sit) on the dealer lots have to be started from time to time...
Old 1/15/06, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@January 6, 2006, 4:42 PM
I yanked the battery out of my car last night and took it to the dealer. They ended up testing the battery and found that it was a dud. I'm picking up a new one tommorow.

The minute I get the battery installed, I am going to test if the amplifier circuit is "hot" when the car is off.

Hope that helps
Hey Steve, thanks. I'm off to Airport Ford first thing in the morning for that goofy tranny leak and I'm going to ask for a new battery too, see what they say. Mine's not been too bad but like I said in the original battery post, it's been "sluggish" at startup sometimes and it's just not right. I'll let you know what they say.

See ya soon hopefully - Mark
Old 1/16/06, 08:24 PM

Add me to the list of '05 GT owners with battery problems. I let mine sit for two weeks and it wouldn't start when I attempted it last weekend.

After a jump start failed, Ford Customer Service sent a tow truck to take it to the local dealership. They said the battery was DOA and when they put a new one in, everything was fine.

Nobody at the dealership knew anything about the battery problems this car is having.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery