Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dash Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/06, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried adding the foam at the junction of the dash and plate and my rattles are gone.

Thanks guys....
Old 5/5/06, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ December 31, 2005, 11:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have the rattle as well: it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side dash and is worse when the temperature is colder. I have found the source! It is not coming from the dash although it sounds like it from where you are sitting in the driver's seat. The rattle is actually coming from the plasic liner on the door jam on the passanger side. This plastic lip is a loose, snap-fit piece that can move, rub (and rattle), where the dash assembly fits underneath it--if the tolerances are just right which they seem to be after some use and a little cool weather. I can actually see the signs of wear where mine has been rubbing. You can confirm this by putting some gentle pressure on the passenger-side front dash panel, back towards the engine and to the right, the next time it rattles on you--it should quiet down a bit. I plan to put a piece of felt or something in between the joint myself, but have just been too lazy to do so. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

thats all i have to do?! thank you so much! that noise has been driving me crazy! only thing is i hear something vibrating now thats coming from somewhere behind the streering wheel. any clue what that might be?
Old 5/10/06, 10:20 AM

Rattle behind instrument guages and steering wheel

My 05 started rattling and buzzing when I went over some kinds of bumps. The noises seemed to be comming from behind the steering wheel and speedometer. I read about the foam solutions some had luck with so I bought some foam rubber weatherstrip with adhesive. Lying on my back with a flashlight looking up behind the speedometer area (my head was on the floor) I wiggled all of the wire bundles etc... Some created the rattling and buzzing because they touched the hard plastic material that most of the interior is made of. I "insulated" every area I could find that rubbing might occur. I also found one electrical connector (may have been for the speedometer) that had enough play in it that the slightest wiggle caused a rather loud annoying rattle. I wrapped it too with the weather strip. In all, I used about 4 feet of weather strip behind the instrument panel! I then drove it on the bumpiest road around here. The only noise I hear now is the exhaust which still sounds very good even after a year.
Old 5/11/06, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

I never had this problem until I installed my Borla Stigers a few weeks ago. At a very low rpm, my Borlas create a harmonic vibration that causes the driver side of the dash to vibrate slightly (buzzing). I simply fixed the problem by accelerating a little harder at take off.
Old 5/12/06, 02:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds more like a squeeky noise from the dash during bumps...

Originally Posted by Airwolf
I found out what the passenger side noise is on my car. If its rattling when i'm driving i can open the glove box and it stops. So i found out that the glove box striker/latch on the top of the box is what is rattling. With the glovebox open you can reach underneath the dash and pull slightly on the striker, which creates the sound i hear when going over a bump.

I took off the striker and pulled on the underside of the dash. There is a piece of metal on top of the underside of the plastic part of the dash, put a strip of padding inbetween the plastic and the metal and the noise stopped, couple of weeks later it came back. Going to go under there and try to stuff some more padding inbetween there to see what happens.
I removed the A-pillar on the passenger side and tried moving the dash around but no squeek. I put a piece of rubber between the dash and the metal piece anyway just in case.

I opened the glove box all the way down and started moving the metal striker piece around and found the squeek! I unscrewed the striker and put 2 velcro pieces (cut from computer cable straps) between the striker plate and the dash and screwed it back on.

Drove around trying to find bumps and "squeeks be gone!"

Thanks for your suggestion!

(I have an 06 GT, by the way)