Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clean those throttle bodies!

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/11, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine a few weeks back for the first time (85k KM). She was pretty dirty.
Old 1/13/16, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedGT
Around 38,000 miles. I should have done it at about 25,000.
I am mechanically stump dumb. Recently my throttle stuck as I took off from a dead stop. Quite scary if you're not expecting it. Seems it has only happened twice, both times from a dead stop. Step on the gas harder than planned and WHAM, suddenly 5000rpm and take off. Have to slam on the brakes and try to pull over until it clicks down. Now as I said, this has only happened twice and a few mechanic friends of mine seem to think a throttle body cleaning is all I need. Should I attempt to do this myself or have a professional do it? Would this be an expensive procedure if I brought it somewhere? How do I know I wouldn't be getting ripped off if I do take it somewhere? I hear it's a simple 15min thing to do yourself, but the best I can do myself is brakes, tires, and filter changes haha Basic Upkeep I guess. Any help would be appreciate.
2010 Mustang 6cyl
Old 1/13/16, 04:41 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by neomatrixgod@gmail.com
I am mechanically stump dumb. Recently my throttle stuck as I took off from a dead stop. Quite scary if you're not expecting it. Seems it has only happened twice, both times from a dead stop. Step on the gas harder than planned and WHAM, suddenly 5000rpm and take off. Have to slam on the brakes and try to pull over until it clicks down. Now as I said, this has only happened twice and a few mechanic friends of mine seem to think a throttle body cleaning is all I need. Should I attempt to do this myself or have a professional do it? Would this be an expensive procedure if I brought it somewhere? How do I know I wouldn't be getting ripped off if I do take it somewhere? I hear it's a simple 15min thing to do yourself, but the best I can do myself is brakes, tires, and filter changes haha Basic Upkeep I guess. Any help would be appreciate.
2010 Mustang 6cyl
They're a lot of 'how to' videos on 'youtube'. They will show you step by step on how to clean your throttle body.
Old 1/13/16, 05:05 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Be carful, use throttle body cleaner only, do not force anything and you may need to purchase a gasket. The GT only has 4 small bolts and a few connectors. Never seen a 6 cyl. one.
Old 1/14/16, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

If you can do brakes, you can clean your throttle body. Watch a video, buy the correct TB cleaner, and get your tools. I was able to clean mine in about 20 minutes on my old S197.

JR
Old 4/3/16, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did mine too. I just did the plugs so I figured might as well do the tb too.
Its very easy, used the same tb cleaner in the brenspeed video.
I cleaned my cai filter at the same time and disconnected the battery for the tb relearn.
Wow what a difference, no lag, way crisper response, and feels like more power...really rips
I had around 77,000 kms on my 05 GT

Oh I did my cabin filter too, might have been the original. It was a ford filter.
It was very clean in the firewall area and the rubber drain plug was clear.
Old 4/3/16, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I pulled my TB off last weekend to clean and inspect to find it was as clean as new!
18,000 miles, I guess my air oil seperator is working really good!
++ to the Moroso oil seperator!
Old 5/19/16, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by pilatti1
I have 65K on my '07 GT/CS and never cleaned the TB; my question is do you have to remove the TB from the engine or can I just remove the CAI and clean it that way? The less work I need to do the better as Murphy's law would have it I go to fix one thing and break something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im with ya on that one ,I've got 55000mi on my 08 GT 5sp. I lve in the boonies and Im sure that helps as I can drive 20 ms without a red light. Plus wit get well taken of.
Old 5/16/17, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
I just did mine at 55k. However, JUST cleaning it may or may not be a good idea... Awesome wasn't exactly a happy camper after I cleaned her TB out. I also wound up having to pull the negative terminal off for 30 minutes, then retrain her. Here's how the adventure unfolded:

Got home from a nephew's pool party B-Day celebration. Yay he's 5.

Pulled the air intake hose off. (two screws, one breather tube [watch that green clip thing])
Pulled TB off (easier to deal with, it's just 2 nuts, 2 bolts, and two electrical connectors.)

Ok, so now I cleaned TB with Valvoline Throttle Body and Carb Cleaner (I tried to find just TB cleaner, but it's made of invisible. o.0 ) sprayed, let soak a little, sprayed again, then rubbed the chambers with a cloth so it was as clean as possible.

Installed the TB back on the car, no big deal. Make sure, though, to get that orange gasket back in it's slot.

At this point, I started her up and... well, it was odd. She kept not throttling back. Hm. Maybe a little driving (I'm a n00b, sue me.) Oh, no, this 3000 Rpm hang up, while noisily cool, is not going to do in a parking lot. Time to retrain.

So I pulled the negative, waited 30 minutes, and then reattached.

I then did the throttle pedal retrain: Turn on key, wait for all the lights to settle, then push the throttle in slowly to WOT. Then release throttle, and turn car off. Wait 5 seconds.

I then did exactly like the Owners Guide said to do on page 204 (on mine, your OG may vary.) Turn on key, neutral (manual), park brake on, no accessories on. Did put the windows down, it's hot.

Turn on the car, and let it get warmed up. About a minute or two in this heat. Once at normal operating temperature, let it idle for 1 minute. The timer in the dash works great, btw.

After that one minute, turn on Max A/C. Idle one more minute.

After that, retrain your windows: Left side first, then right, pull window switch up and hold until it goes up all the way, continue to hold switch for 2 seconds past that (I do 3), then down all the way, holding switch for another 2 seconds after it's down. Repeat this process 5 times. Repeat process on right window.

Now, go drive for 10 miles. This gets it mostly figured out. I reset the trip and clocked it off.

Just to be sure she was happiest I could make her, I started out with 5 miles A/C off, then 5 miles A/C on, then another set off and on. I also did freeway, twisties and stop and go.

Now she's a really happy pony. Throttle responds nicely, no more dipping idle and hard to respond, and it's not hanging up at 3000.

I just wanted to be sure to relate what worked for me. In case it helps someone else. Good luck!
thanks for the tip!
Old 5/17/17, 01:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe88xj
thanks for the tip!
Yer quite welcome!