Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

'Clacking' noise when applying brake...

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Clacking' noise when applying brake...

When backing into my driveway, there's a distinctive 'clacking' noice coming from underneath and towards the back of the car when applying brake.

Sometimes I can hear it when going forward, too.

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anybody else with this problem.

Any insights would be much appreciated
Old 5/28/06, 10:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Frost
When backing into my driveway, there's a distinctive 'clacking' noice coming from underneath and towards the back of the car when applying brake.

Sometimes I can hear it when going forward, too.

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anybody else with this problem.

Any insights would be much appreciated
I'd say check your lugnuts and if OK, head to nearest dealer. shouldnt be any noise there- somethings loose that shouldnt be.
Old 6/19/06, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Two ongoing issues driving me nuts...

The first one is detailed above.

No resolution on it. I just know it will come back to bite me in the backside once the warranty has expired.

The other issue is the clicking/ticking of the compressor when I have the defroster or A/C on.

It's clicking on and off everyth 15 or 20 seconds. It's so loud and I can actually feel it jerk the brake pedal when I have my foot on it.

I'll be sitting in traffic at a red light and everybody's looking at my car wondering what the hell is that clicking noise coming from my car.

The dealer tells me "Oh that's normal".

Well, I've never had a car, Ford or otherwise, make such a loud noise.

I'd really appreciate insights on these issues.

Thanks.
Old 6/19/06, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I'd say check your lugnuts and if OK, head to nearest dealer. shouldnt be any noise there- somethings loose that shouldnt be.
Thanks for the reply. I checked and the lugnuts are fine.
Old 6/22/06, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clacking? Mine does a similar thing when I put it from Park to reverse(sometimes does it when I go from Park to Drive), while my foot is on the break there is a grinding sound that comes from the rear of the car. Took it to the dealer and when I tried to reproduce the problem it would not do it. Anyone got any ideas?

Just was looking through the TSB's Jack does your problem sound at all like TSB 04-24-20? You might want to check that one.
Old 6/22/06, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

The other issue is the clicking/ticking of the compressor when I have the defroster or A/C on.

It's clicking on and off everyth 15 or 20 seconds. It's so loud and I can actually feel it jerk the brake pedal when I have my foot on it.

I'll be sitting in traffic at a red light and everybody's looking at my car wondering what the hell is that clicking noise coming from my car.

The dealer tells me "Oh that's normal".

Well, I've never had a car, Ford or otherwise, make such a loud noise.

Thanks.
Join the crowd. Lots of us here have it. I started a thread called "Pellet Gun" because that's what mine sounds like. As far as I know, noone here has had a dealer say anything but "it's normal".
Old 8/21/06, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Just was looking through the TSB's Jack does your problem sound at all like TSB 04-24-20? You might want to check that one.
Hey thanks...next time I take it in for sched. maintenance...I'll mention that TSB.
Old 8/21/06, 10:31 AM
GT Member

I had a similar issue with my car until they changed all the park brake cables because they were getting frozen (litterally) and wouldn't disengage. I don't know if the parts are revised or anything but no more noise.
Old 8/21/06, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

Strange. I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the exact 2 things you've posted here. Clicking noise with A/C on (or heat), and clacking noise when applying the breaks.

One other thing I've noticed though, is that I'll also hear an even more distinct thumping sound if I apply the breaks, then turn the steering wheel to the right.
Old 8/23/06, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VistaJ
Strange. I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the exact 2 things you've posted here. Clicking noise with A/C on (or heat), and clacking noise when applying the breaks.

One other thing I've noticed though, is that I'll also hear an even more distinct thumping sound if I apply the breaks, then turn the steering wheel to the right.
Please let us know the outcome...I need to get to the bottom of the braking issue. It's driving me nuts.

Whenever I'm backing my car into or out of my driveway, the clacking noise resonates between my house and my neighbours house...this actually amplifies the noise such that my neighbour came out of his house to enquire what the hell the noise was the other day.

It's embarrassing

I'll be taking my car back to the dealership for this issue again...and this time I won't take it back till they fix it.
Old 8/23/06, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

The clacking from the A/C is just the clutch engaging...it's a LOUD clutch, but my $ is on they all do that.
Old 8/23/06, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Just got the car back (dealer had to keep it overnight to get the parts). Turns out the clacking noise from the breaks was my front rotors. They were "burnt" (as it was described to me). Basically, there were holes developing in the front 2 rotors, so everytime I applied the break while the wheels were still turning, the break pads would hit these holes, making a clacking noise every rotation. Makes sense I guess. That certainly would explain it. And I didn't notice the noise on my drive home.

Now (obviously) I asked why this would happen to a car that's only 10 months old. They couldn't give me a real answer. All I got was the typical "It happens from time to time" nonsense. So I asked if this issue was typical of this make/model car. They said no. I guess I have to take their word for it ....

As far as the A/C noise. I guess that's normal. At least that's what I've been told. We'll see if any issue arise from the noise or not.
Old 8/23/06, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VistaJ
Just got the car back (dealer had to keep it overnight to get the parts). Turns out the clacking noise from the breaks was my front rotors. They were "burnt" (as it was described to me). Basically, there were holes developing in the front 2 rotors, so everytime I applied the break while the wheels were still turning, the break pads would hit these holes, making a clacking noise every rotation. Makes sense I guess. That certainly would explain it. And I didn't notice the noise on my drive home.

Now (obviously) I asked why this would happen to a car that's only 10 months old. They couldn't give me a real answer. All I got was the typical "It happens from time to time" nonsense. So I asked if this issue was typical of this make/model car. They said no. I guess I have to take their word for it ....
Thanks for informing us!

Holes in the front rotors?! What the heck is that about? Are these holes you can see? If I go out to my car would it be possible to see these holes?

BTW, what did they do to fix the problem?
Old 8/23/06, 07:40 PM
GT Member

There is a TSB out for ac clutch slippage you might check to see if this would help.
Old 8/23/06, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry, wrong post
Old 8/24/06, 03:11 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for informing us!

Holes in the front rotors?! What the heck is that about? Are these holes you can see? If I go out to my car would it be possible to see these holes?

BTW, what did they do to fix the problem?
Your guess is as good as mine. They were very vague as to what exactly would cause this (or they didn't know). I honestly don't know if it's something you could see by looking at them or not. Since it's all warranty work, I wasn't too bothered by their vague answers, so I didn't harp on it too much. I think the person I spoke to wasn't too savvy on the issue anyway.

What they did tell me was, they replaced both front rotors to fix the issue.
Old 8/25/06, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I missed this but is yours automatic or manual? I was just with a buddy last night that has an automatic and when he put his in drive or reverse, it clanked really loud. Sounded to me like a driveshaft or differential as well. He also said that the dealer said it was ok which I really find hard to believe. If it didn't make the noise when you took it home, than it isn't ok when it does.
Old 8/25/06, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have an auto also, it doesn't clang, but it does make a little noise. I think it's a combo of the two piece driveshaft and the torque.
Old 8/25/06, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Mine's manual.

But regardless of auto or manual, the issue is when breaking, not shifting. So I'm guessing it could happen on auto or stick.
Old 8/26/06, 10:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

the A/C ticking IS normal. you just gotta deal with it or dont use the A/C