Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/05, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen a lot of threads on this site talking about hesitation. A lot of people have experienced it, but don't know what conditions caused it. This makes it deficult for warranty service and Ford to understand we have a real issue out here. I think I have at least a partial answer on how to make a 05 GT manual engine hesitate.

I drive a lot on weekends from Columbus Ohio to Cinci Ohio which is about 120 miles and rather flat interstate. I usually go around 70 MPH and keep my speed constant with or without the cruise control on (traction control can be on or off). If the car travels at least 10 miles and throttle position remains relatively constant, the car will hesitate once after shifting down to 3rd and the throttle pedal pushed to the floor. The hesitation is like you turned the key off for a fraction of a second. The hesitation also occurs when cruising at a constant speed and then coming to a normal stop, then attempting a hard acceleration in first. This last description is really weird. After cruising for about forty miles I stopped at a rest stop and turned the car completely off. Started the car normally and shifted into 1st. Got the car rolling at about 5 mph then tried to floor it when I hit the merge ramp. The car exibited the same hesitation. I should note that once the care hesitates it runs just fine.

Can anyone duplicate any of these findings? I would like to gather the data and present it to Ford.

I WANT THIS FIXED!!

My thanks to any reply in advance.
Old 9/30/05, 02:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this the 'bucking' hesitation?

I had it happen ONCE...and it was like you described.
I was on a long drive..with Cruise on....
made the downshift and waited for someone to move over and then floored it and <BuCK> <BUCK>< BUCK> 3 times... on the 3rd, I pulled off the gas... and then slowly into it again and it was fine.

VERY odd
Old 9/30/05, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Boomer@September 30, 2005, 4:05 PM
Is this the 'bucking' hesitation?

I had it happen ONCE...and it was like you described.
I was on a long drive..with Cruise on....
made the downshift and waited for someone to move over and then floored it and <BuCK> <BUCK>< BUCK> 3 times... on the 3rd, I pulled off the gas... and then slowly into it again and it was fine.

VERY odd
I have only experienced one hesitation per event (no bucking) but the even speed over a long time seems to be the common thread.
Old 9/30/05, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems about right.
Old 10/2/05, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could it be heat soak leading to detonation? Computer would pull timing like a **** to correct the condition, which would feel just like stuttering until it was sorted out.
Old 10/7/05, 11:59 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

The problem is caused by heat soak. The only way to capture it is to drive around all the time in data logging mode on a hot day with a diablo tuner and hope you catch the car in the act while it's recording.
Old 10/8/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tell me again about heat soak...which system does it affect most?
Old 10/8/05, 12:12 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the past few days i've been wondering about heat effects on the performance, as many on the drag strip know how much the weather and humidity can do to the run times..

here in Dubai, the temperature averages 100-120F for about 5 months.. with humidity in the 60-70% zone
luckily when my pony is here the temperatures would have dropped significantly, and will continue so till around March or April.. not to forget that all cars sold here are made specifically for the region with larger radiators..
hope it'll be all good else it'd be bucking and hesitating all the way :S
Old 10/8/05, 07:32 PM
GT Member

I get this condition when accelerating out of a slow corner giving the car a good stomp of the gas pedal and the ignition just cuts out completly and this is with the TRACTION CONTROL OFF. Very annoying, I dont want to ever bring my car to the lousy dealership unless i have to. Does anyone else have this same problem and will a tune giet rid of it?
Old 10/9/05, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Nagman@October 8, 2005, 7:35 PM
I get this condition when accelerating out of a slow corner giving the car a good stomp of the gas pedal and the ignition just cuts out completly and this is with the TRACTION CONTROL OFF. Very annoying, I dont want to ever bring my car to the lousy dealership unless i have to. Does anyone else have this same problem and will a tune giet rid of it?
Yes, I have had this happen a few times and it is very annoying. I don't think this is a heat soak issue, rather a tune issue. I'll be loading up the JLT intake/SCT2 (tune by DTP) this week and will report back.
Old 10/10/05, 12:20 AM
GT Member

Hey thanks slaya,

I look forward to hearing about your results soon.
If this is a common problem dont you think it would be noticed in pre-production testing by Ford?

Anyway keep us posted import-slaya!!
Old 10/12/05, 11:07 AM
GT Member

I had this problem twice but it never happened again since I installed the Xcal2 tunes and Steeda CAI. Mind you the weather is turning a little colder here so heat soak should not be a problem !
Old 10/12/05, 05:01 PM
GT Member

HolyPony!,
Was your throttle cutting completly out coming out of a slow corner as well? Or what exactly was your hesitiation situation?
Old 10/12/05, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Nagman@October 12, 2005, 7:04 PM
HolyPony!,
Was your throttle cutting completly out coming out of a slow corner as well? Or what exactly was your hesitiation situation?
After a 30 minute drive, left the highway to go on a secondary road up to a stop sign (there was a curve), engaged 1st gear and tried to pull away. The car bucked, actually died on me for a half second, pulled the clutch, tried another time, the car did the same thing, so I mashed the throttle and dumped the clutch. The car ran fine after that
Old 10/12/05, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the reply Holypony,
Yeah your conditions resembles mine.
something tells me the dealer would not be able to do anything about it.I guess Ill have to look into a tune and CAI.
Old 10/13/05, 08:30 PM
V6 Member

I've had it happen to me at least 20 times, it is a real pain. I bought my 05 in October of 04, I don't know if it has something to do w/ the earlier models, but mine did it when it was stock, and now still does it w/ a JLT cold air and a custom Diablo tune. It feels like it is in the throttle position motor??? This is the first post that I've seen talking about it, Rick you described it perfectly. I've talked to the dealer and they have told me that they could keep the car for a day or two and try to make it do the same thing, but since it takes a 30 minute drive, that it would probably not happen to them b/c they wouldn't have the time to drive it that far. This could be a serious safety issue, when merging into traffic.
Old 10/13/05, 11:16 PM
GT Member

Ive had this happn to me soon after start up,I dont think the car HAS to be warm for this condition to occur.
I cant wait to bring this problem up with the bumbling dealer. :bang:
Old 10/13/05, 11:18 PM
GT Member

by the way, the prouduction date for my car is Dec 2004
Old 10/17/05, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've had my car since October 2004 and have had the hesitation problem a few times. I've had the "bucking" sensation 2-3 times in the last 4 months. This past weekend, while driving by Indianapolis, (been on the rode for 2 hours), accelerating on an interestate ramp, and the car bucked. Car is an automatic. Tried letting off the gas, but each time I tried to give the car gas again, it would buck. Yep it is a real safety issue. When the car hesitated earlier this year, I took it in and the dealer did a "computer flash" like the TSB indicates. This "bucking" is different than the hesitation. Not quite sure what to do with it.
Old 10/18/05, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Sounds like Ford needs to rethink its "fly by wire system"
:scratch:

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation