Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Best place to buy a TPS sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/08 | 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Best place to buy a TPS sensor?

Well, the battle for finding out WHAT is going on with my car continues. As some of you may remember, I have been fighting an issue where the car suddenly dies for no reason. The circumstances leading up to the instances are very predictable (get it all warmed up, let it heat soak for an hour or so, then drive. It will start to die after about 2 minutes. Then, after about 5 minutes it clears up and doesn't return again until it heat soaks again!)

Either way, I think I have gone about 7 rounds with it so far and it has ROYALLY kicked my butt! I thought this was a local light weight demo match, not a heavy weight title fight!

So, I need to pick up a new TPS sensor. Lower cost is better than higher cost. I have a local place that sells Motorcraft parts for a VERY good price, but as far as I can tell, Motorcraft line doesn't care the TPS sensor... Am I stuck with a dealer only part?

Thanks ladies and gents!
Old 10/11/08 | 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Can't help with the TPS sensor...but, the problem with your car dying may be related to a defective coil pack. VW had a W8 engine, with coil packs, and had severe problems with them. Several years ago, when the engine first came out in the Passat, I test drove one, and it died just as I was entering the interstate from a ramp.

If you have not tested them, you may want to have them each checked, under the conditions you described when the car dies.
Old 10/11/08 | 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info. I picked up a TPS as one of the local dealerships today (pretty much full retail. Sigh.) and installed it. It's amazing how fast that install goes with my Makita impact driver!

You would THINK that a failing coil pack would cause a misfire code on the cylinder. Of course, you would ALSO think that a car that just up and dies 8 times in a minute would leave SOME kind of DTC behind...
Old 10/11/08 | 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did the new TPS fix it?
Old 10/11/08 | 11:37 PM
Cobra Member

I won't know until later this week. I got it replaced and the car starts, but it always starts when it is cold. I have to take it out, get it hot, then let it soak for an hour or so, THEN do some driving to find out if I actually fixed it.

Given how much I have gone round and round on this, I probably won't believe I fixed it until the car has run for a couple of months without any failure.

To top it off, I'm heading out of town (not in the Mustang) for the next four days, so...