Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anyone elses door trim come off??

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/11, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone elses door trim come off??

Well my leather door trim started coming off, pretty annoying, but no big deal. My wifes 03 MAzda Tributes cloth door trim started to come off also. So I go some upholstery, interior contact cement and it it back on. So here are the pictures of my repair, if this happens to anyone else, its really no big deal.
Heres the trim sagging off

So you pull the trim off, wipe off all the old glue with a rag and a little stiff brush action, it comes off easily like grey dust. Also lay the leather out and brush off the glue off it. Then lay it out and spray some contact upholstery cement on it.

Then I taped off the door where I was going to spray it to control the over spay as this stuff has a wide spray pattern.

Even if you get over spray on the door panel is no biggie, it will rub right off. This is basically rubber cement in a spray can. It sticks when both sides are coated, but wont stick to anything by itself, so you can rub off any excess.

The hard part is working the bottom narrow part into the crease in the the door panel. I used a putty knife and a plastic bicycle tool used to work an inner tube into a tire, any smooth round tool will work., even a bitter knife. You can easily pull it back off if you don't like the initial placement and then replace it. Once you work it into the crevice all around the door, it looks like new.

Old 4/7/11, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey There, I had the same issue, though was not that serious.... I just used glue and good as new
The following users liked this post:
Survivortodd (6/25/20)
Old 4/11/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Today actually. I got in to come home from work & the trim was coming off. I called the dealer & they said it would be $45 just to glue it back on. So I came on here looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm going to look for some of that adhesive spray just asap. I'm not sure when that will be though between working 2 jobs, sleeping, & applying for readmission to college........Maybe I'll have to cut down on my sleep...... :\
Old 6/29/11, 09:45 PM
GT Member

The heat has got to mine. Friend of mine does upholstery work, and she said that Ford basically doesn't use enough of the stuff to cover the panel and overlap it some. The leather shrinks in the heat, and there is really no way to fix it permanent. I'm going to try some of that whelp piping that some of you guys have used, and hot glue it in there over the edge of the leather and see what that does. Pretty ****ty way of Ford saving money in my opinion.
Old 8/31/11, 05:21 AM

Ok here's how to fix it. First take entire door panel off, bring it into a controlled environment that's around 75 degrees in temp. Pull the vinyl off completely (yes it is vinyl). Scrape all residual foam off from where it attached and from vinyl. Use weldwood contact cement (can be liquid or gel, gel is easier to work with). Spread it evenly across the backing of vinyl and the area where it makes contact with the door panel. Wait about 10 min and then re-apply the vinyl (be careful and use masking tape around the area so none of the cement gets where you don't want it). Tuck the edges in with a worn flathead screwdriver or a plastic card (worn screwdriver is easier). Keep the completed panel in the controlled environment for 3 to 4 days ( this allows the cement to bond completely). It's a pain for sure, but it's the only thing I've found works in the extreme heat I have in Florida. Hope this helped.
Old 8/31/11, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just noticed that the trim was starting to peel on my car the other day.
Old 9/17/11, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Aircobra21
Ok here's how to fix it. First take entire door panel off, bring it into a controlled environment that's around 75 degrees in temp. Pull the vinyl off completely (yes it is vinyl). Scrape all residual foam off from where it attached and from vinyl. Use weldwood contact cement (can be liquid or gel, gel is easier to work with). Spread it evenly across the backing of vinyl and the area where it makes contact with the door panel. Wait about 10 min and then re-apply the vinyl (be careful and use masking tape around the area so none of the cement gets where you don't want it). Tuck the edges in with a worn flathead screwdriver or a plastic card (worn screwdriver is easier). Keep the completed panel in the controlled environment for 3 to 4 days ( this allows the cement to bond completely). It's a pain for sure, but it's the only thing I've found works in the extreme heat I have in Florida. Hope this helped.
Wow thanks for that info, cause I have had t reapply mine like 3 times now. I figured it was the heat or humidity or combination there of!! Well that makes sense it's shrinking and comes back off, so take it inside roar few days for it to stabilize, thanks
Old 6/5/12, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aircobra21

+ 1 (but don't scrape gently rub; prevents bumps later on in the installation)

Mine failed late 2011. I waited until some nice March 2012 days here in Florida. Do take the panels out and after 5 or 6 days the contact cement smell will be gone and you can put them back in. Yes, you can drive around with the panels off and use the cable as a door release. Yes makes the car easier to steel, but I drive a convertible, not really an issue.

True test is just around the corner with July and August. We'll see if the fix holds up to the heat; I'll report back in the fall.

Update
11/08/2012 - Doors panels made it through the hot summer and we've had a few cool days and still no issue.

Last edited by MCK3125; 11/8/12 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
Survivortodd (6/25/20)