Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 Mustang Interior Door Trim Panel Repair Threads

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/24 | 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

@m05fastbackGT Thank you for sharing your excellent comments and great video! You make some very good points.

This is just my humble opinion. Getting the best solid bond possible by removing all of the felt backing is the most likely procedure to provide the best long-term results. Of course, I could be wrong. I often am.

You might consider giving Coverlay and Dashskin a phone call. Explain your concerns. If they're not too busy, chat with them a little bit. The comments I've read say that they've been very helpful. Their websites may say one thing, but when talking with you in person over the phone they may give you a more nuanced perspective.

Again, good luck with your project and wishing you excellent results. Please let us know what you've learned from your experience and share some great photos of your Mustang with us.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mustang_Ed:
05stangkc (9/17/24), m05fastbackGT (9/17/24)
Old 9/17/24 | 02:56 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by Mustang_Ed
@m05fastbackGT Thank you for sharing your excellent comments and great video! You make some very good points.

This is just my humble opinion. Getting the best solid bond possible by removing all of the felt backing is the most likely procedure to provide the best long-term results. Of course, I could be wrong. I often am.

You might consider giving Coverlay and Dashskin a phone call. Explain your concerns. If they're not too busy, chat with them a little bit. The comments I've read say that they've been very helpful. Their websites may say one thing, but when talking with you in person over the phone they may give you a more nuanced perspective.

Again, good luck with your project and wishing you excellent results. Please let us know what you've learned from your experience and share some great photos of your Mustang with us.
@Mustang_Ed I appreciate the very kind words... Like I've been mentioning in my post responses, I've been researching the pros and cons between leaving the felt backing material in place or removing it, for going on 2 years... Thanks to YouTube videos, it would seem that most are recommending to remove the felt backing material in order to achieve the best results... Meanwhile, I also want to thank you for taking the time to share your personal experiences and results with your Dashkin ABS insert panels, as it's really good to know that we have legacy members here on TMS such as yourself who are also able to confirm that removing the felt backing material is indeed providing the best solid bond possible for achieving the best long term results... Therefore, I do not think you are wrong when it comes to removing the felt backing material, as I totally agree with you, as it does make the most sense in my opinion that in order to get the best solid bond possible, it is best to use 2 solid materials over attaching one solid surface to a material made from either felt or cloth...

In the meantime, I will also follow your advice by contacting both Dashkin and Coverlay by telephone to address my concerns and hope they will in fact also confirm that removing the felt backing material is the best method for providing the best solid bond possible... And yes, I will make certain to share my experiences and share some great photos with the results, as soon as I'm able to do so...

If interested, I also went ahead and attached more YouTube videos from several more YouTubers who shared their results by removing the felt backing material...
Anyway, thanks once again, Ed

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/24 at 03:01 PM.
Old 9/17/24 | 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

@m05fastbackGT Thank you for your post back to me including the YouTube videos, Rocky. Very much appreciated. I'm glad you're contacting both Daskin and Coverlay by telephone. Hope they are helpful to you.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences and seeing some great photos with the results.

Take care, my friend.

Ed
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (9/17/24)
Old 9/17/24 | 03:21 PM

@m05fastbackGT Thank you for your post back to me including the YouTube videos, Rocky. Very much appreciated. I'm glad you're contacting both Daskin and Coverlay by telephone. Hope they are helpful to you.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences and seeing some great photos with the results.

Take care, my friend.

Ed
@Mustang_Ed Hey there, Ed!

It's my pleasure, my friend! Anyway, I'm sure that both Dashkin and Coverlay will be very helpful in addressing my concerns regarding the felt backing material... However, it may take some time before I'm able to get started with the installation process, as I'll be doing the installation myself.. But you can be assured that as soon as I'm able to get started, I will follow up and let everyone know on this thread...

In the meantime, I also went ahead and sent you an add/friend request...

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/24 at 03:23 PM.
Old 9/17/24 | 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

@m05fastbackGT Rocky, thank you for sending a friend request to me. I'm happy to be your friend.

I love the photos of your beautiful 2006 Torch Red Mustang Fastback GT! You've really made it into a spectacular Mustang!

~ Ed
m05fastbackGT (9/18/24)
Old 9/18/24 | 09:06 PM

@m05fastbackGT Rocky, thank you for sending a friend request to me. I'm happy to be your friend.

I love the photos of your beautiful 2006 Torch Red Mustang Fastback GT! You've really made it into a spectacular Mustang!

~ Ed
I'm also honored to be your friend as well, Ed... I actually should have sent you the add request many years ago, knowing you joined the forums just a couple of months after I did over 18 years ago...
Unfortunately, we somehow lost touch with one another over the years as I didn't see you on the forums for quite sometime in about 9 years or so, but I'm just glad to have you back as there aren't many of us old timers from the good old days who are left that have remained as active members... I'm also very sure that Kevin is glad that your back as well, as many things have changed on TMS since you were last here, and I'm very proud to say those many changes have been for the better...

In the meantime, I'm very pleased to know how much you appreciate the photos of my Mustang, Ed... It really means a lot as I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into keeping it well maintained and looking almost nearly as good when it was still brand new, with the exception of course with the door insert panels peeling off, LOL... And Btw: You also have a very immaculate 2007 Mustang GT Convertible, if I say so myself and I also really envy you by keeping your Mustang mostly OEM/stock...Needless to say, if I were able to go back in the day and do it over again, I would've kept my 2006 GT OEM/stock as well...

So meanwhile, I just want to say once again, welcome back to the forums and that I'm also very honored to be your friend...

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/19/24 at 03:12 PM.
Mustang_Ed (9/18/24)
Old 9/18/24 | 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thank you, Rocky.

I'm hitting the sack early tonight. Important day tomorrow.

Wishing you pleasant dreams and a happy tomorrow.

~ Ed
m05fastbackGT (9/19/24)
Old 9/19/24 | 03:14 PM

My pleasure, Ed...