Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 Aluminum hood paint pealing

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/14, 10:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile 2005-2009 Aluminum hood paint pealing

So I did have an 05 GT Mustang & there were signs of the paint starting to blister or oxidise , so when I seen the 2007 GT/CS I ordered one & within like 8 moths the scoup lifting led me to notice it on here to :-( .
They redid it once & it's back the warrenty is obviously done so Ford's stance is basically to bad for me, no it's not that I dont keep it clean I work **** hard doing so , I love the car & this is it's only hang up really.

Why does it happen , likley Ford doesn't acid etch the luminum first before sealing it before paint , if they did this would never happen. You'll never see this on a UPS / Fed-Ex truck nor an airplain , so I think people with this unfortunat situation need to write Ford to get them moving on seeing the lifht of day here.

Here's an example:
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Aluminum hood paint pealing-image.jpg  
Old 4/13/14, 06:59 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree a acid etch would be required on the bare edges- but personally, I really think the other bigger issue might be hemming a sheared edge- the edges will be razor sharp, aluminum expands/contracts, I dont think it would be crazy to think if the panel shifts even a thou, the painted sharp edge would be the most likely spot for the film to break, allowing moisture in.

if that were my hood, and I didnt want to replace it, I'd tear into it- its already broke/cant hurt it... wirewheel the snot out of it, soak it inside and out with Ospho till it quits bubbling, then pour POR15 in with the hood standing on its nose/tipping back and forth to fill the inside... then brush POR on the underside (only on bare metal- POR wont stick to paint) use POR tie coat primer over the underside blending over the paint- its fast build/sands easy- then but a bead of seam sealer over the edge to 'cushion' any expansion , then prep for paint... re sand/etch the upper 'show' surfaces, fill/block/paint... I think you *might* be able to stop it if enough effort expended...problem is the corrosion under the layers will always be there- if it cant be removed, only way to stop its return is neutralizing with acid then sealing with something that wont let moisture in- POR15 is great for that, but messy as heck.

I highly doubt theres a bodyshop out there that would be willing to do more than exterior prep/paint...without trying to etch/flow paint between the panels to seal, highly doubt it would last more than a year or two. with all the extra time it would take to *try* and fix Ford's boo-boo, I think you'd be happier and dollars ahead just getting a new hood.

I find it kind of sad the 2015 forum wont even allow discussing the likelihood of this migrating to the next hood. my gut feeling is about 95% certain Ford will not have fixed the issue- they knew how decades ago, but havent done it.
kinda a perfect planned obsolescence item, like lets make every heater core a 750~thousand dollar job to swap. a nuisance item, wont affect safety, too irritating to ignore... a beancounters pride and joy idea I bet... think about it - 5/50 powertrain, 3/36 bumper to bumper, typical 60 month loans... *ideally* at around 72 months, the person should have saved a few bucks up not having a payment, if the car starts nickle and diming (or 500-1000.00) them for nuissance repairs, maybe theyll buy a new one.

Last edited by ford4v429; 4/13/14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 4/13/14, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Talked to a guy that has a buddy that powder coats aluminum all the time, I'll look him up and have a chat as well as an airplane builder here that sets higher standards than Ford obviosly, cause you Never see it on an airplane.