Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

PCV oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/12, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCV oil separator

I have been tuning the 84 a bit more since it's been neglected. Picked up an O2 wideband sensor and an LM-1 to dial in the carb a bit better. Started finding a few things that I just haven't taken the time to notice. One thing that I have been hating is the oil fouling of #4 and #5 from the PCV I fashioned up. Oil is splashing from the valve cover (I had to cut out the baffles to get the roller rockers to fit underneath) and into the intake stream. After looking at catch cans and separators and seeing the prices, I decided to do my own. I picked up a separator from Lowes for about $14. A couple of brass '1/4" NPT t 3/8" barb' fittings, some 3/8" fuel line, and a gas filter to get out the remaining mist. Didn't take long to fashion up. I figure I have $30 in this. A lot cheaper than Steeda's $100 they want without a filter. Anyway, the bowl screws off to drain. I had to replace the valve since it is was a positive sealing valve and (of course) the PCV system is not pressurized.

As an FYI, I drove the car for a good drive today, getting on it a couple of times, and have already caught some oil. Figure this will help keep #4 and #5 cleaner.

Last edited by Puter; 9/9/12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 9/10/12, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good idea! I guess you can just add this oil or an equivalent amount back to the crankcase. You might even catch some moisture which you can analyze as water or coolant. I think a little water might be expected as the engine could possibly draw in atmospheric humidity as it cools.
Old 9/11/12, 06:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Yep. I do expect some stuff that looks like a milkshake. :-) The gas filter is to catch any leftover mist. The cool thing is it is kinda see-through, so I can just change it out when it gets dirty. The separator's bowl unscrews easily and has a rubber o-ring so I don't need to tighten it down much at all. Mounted it on the back of the passenger-side shock tower, so although it looks pretty bling (lol), it's kinda hidden, darnit. :-)
Old 9/16/12, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

And here is what I have caught after one day of driving. Wow! No wonder those plugs were nasty.

Old 9/16/12, 10:39 PM

I need to do this, I had a '90 GT with an Edelbrock Performer 5.0 manifold on it and it always drove me crazy to take that panel off and see oil pooled in the intake.
Old 9/17/12, 07:00 AM
Cobra R Member

There are a lot of cars that have the same idea stock to keep this from happening. I like having a PCV system for a street car, but just can't see trying to burn all of this oil. It was really simple to do. Now I just have to remember to check it now and then and empty it.