Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Open Track Events

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/07, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Track Events

I noticed that there's an open track event at Nashville Speedway on May 25-26th hosted by the Music City Mustang Club. I've never participated in an open track event but been interested in them ever since the 30th MCA show at Barber MSP. I've since joined NASA and read some info about open track and have been thinking of registraing for the Nashville event as a novice.

My question is are all open track events run under NASA sanctioning and rules or does each event have different qualifications/rules? I'm a little confused about if I have to pre-qualify for an event or have an instructor ride with me, or I just get put in a novice group and get turned loose. Is anyone familar with how I go about getting involved?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 4/6/07, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Glad you asked! I am a NASA-SouthEast Race Control official, and Mark (mberglo) is a NASA-SE Instructor, so you have come to the right place.

RE: the Nashville event, that is not a NASA-sanctioned event. I am certain it will be a good one (Jim Chism is highly experienced and always puts on top-quality track events), but you'll have to inquire directly to him or others in that club as to how they will approach novices. I will promise you, though, that you won't just get 'turned loose'. They will have provisions for basic instruction.

Other groups also run opentrack events, like SCCA, CarGuys, Chin Motorsports, etc. Each has its own variant of a basic set of guidelines (or CCRs in NASA parlance). In NASA-SE, we try to make it super-easy to get involved: you can pay for a HPDE weekend up front, or work a couple of weekend events, and get a HPDE weekend free! (at least a $300 value). In that, you get an instructor all weekend, classroom 'chalk talk' sessions to learn the basics, and lots of track time to apply what you have learned. I don't know anyone who has done a weekend with us and come away unsatisfied. Most recently, Gary Workman here on the forum helped us out at the March Road Atlanta event and I think he had a good time - you can certainly ask him for his opinion on things.

To play, you need a helmet (get/borrow a SA95 or up) a street car in good running condition, and a learning attitude. Did I mention that we have a free banquet/free beer for all on Saturday night?

Our website is www.nasa-southeast.com for info and a schedule. The national site is www.nasaproracing.com , there you can view/download the CCR (rules).

Let me or Mark know how we can help you get on track!
Old 4/6/07, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

A couple of bad points about the Nashville open track events:

1: Because of the layout, you don't get to use any of the banked turns (like you do at the events at Charlotte and Atlanta)

2: The transition from the infield course the the back straight (which you get to experience twice per lap) is very bumpy.

Otherwise, (and I think I might have been the impetus for Mark to start as well), if you ever do one, you'll probably want to do one every chance you get!
Old 4/6/07, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Ah the good ole days at TGPR. Between rides with mgreene and Art, I was hooked.

As I recall, you get to run turns 3-4 (oval 3-4) on the banks. You come down the front stretch and transition back to infield at 1-2. That transition is tough because you're at speed and it's quite pronounced. Snake through the infield and come out 3/4 down the back stretch.

Agreed, Chism runs a great event. Contact him for all the info. Long pants, long sleeves, closed toed shoes, helmet, letter to next of kin, and you're good. Make sure you have adequate brake pads and it wouldn't hurt to flush the brake fluid before you go.

Next NASA event close to home is Road Atlanta in August. We'd love to have you join us.

Mark

note for mgreene: Denton is joining NASA and will likely be at Road Atlanta and Barber in October. You NEED a trackcar. You know you do.
Old 4/6/07, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mberglo
Ah the good ole days at TGPR. Between rides with mgreene and Art, I was hooked.

As I recall, you get to run turns 3-4 (oval 3-4) on the banks. You come down the front stretch and transition back to infield at 1-2. That transition is tough because you're at speed and it's quite pronounced. Snake through the infield and come out 3/4 down the back stretch.

Nope, there's a parallel access road - you never actually go out on the banks in 3-4 (unless they've changed it in the last few years). You transition to the front straight near the end of 4 from the access road.
Old 4/6/07, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the great info about the open track events and NASA. I want to try the Nashville event so I'll contact Jim Chism for more info. I'll plan on using my '05 Mustang V6 for that event since it's set up with GT tires, brakes, aftermarket springs, and sway bars. My '66 GT convertible is more of a show car and doesn't handle particularly well on curves plus I don't want to chop it up to add a roll bar! I figure that if I get the bug for open track running than I'd like to sell the '66 and build a '66-68 fastback specifically for track running.
Larry
Old 4/7/07, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds Like FUN..............