Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Anniversary got screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/07, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anniversary got screwed.

Well, the title says it all. I'll play out the drama as best I can recall from todays turmoil, It's long.....

Flashback to about 1 month ago:

I asked my supervisor SFC Bean if I could have today off for my anniversary. He said yes, I asked him if I needed to put in a leave/pass form. (it's a military thing) He said no, don't worry about it.

I place "Workman Anniversary" in the calander for todays date.

Back in the present time: I surprised my wife with the fact that I took the day off a few days ago. We made plans to spend today as a family, with us going out to breakfast together. My daugher (age 3) has REALLY been wanting me to take her to the Kids Museum in town, so I let her know that we will do that.

My supervisor is off this week on leave so another person (SSG Olinger) is in charge while SFC Bean is gone. Yesterday, before leaving for the day I remind him that today I would not be there and why. All is good.

Today @ 0600 I get a phone call from SFC Wiley, (SFC Beans supervisor) She asks me why I am not at work and I explain to her that I have the day off for my anniversary. She asks me if I have a pass form in. I replied, "no, SFC Bean said that I didn't need one". Her response is "you're not off of work, be there @ 0820.

I get up, get showered and dressed. At about 0715, I call SSG Olinger to ask exactly what happened this morning, and to get a feel for what I was walking into when I got to work. He said that he had spoken to MSG Moffitt (SFC Wileys supervisor) and cleared everything up, I still have the day off to enjoy with the family.

My wife and I pack up for a day out with our daughter, and proceed to Cracker Barrel to have some breakfast. In the middle of eating, about 0845, I get another call from SFC Wiley. She asks if I am at work. I told her no, and that SSG Olinger had cleared me being off with MSG Moffitt. She says I am not clear to be off and that I need to get in and see her and MSG Moffitt now.

After this call, I contact SFC Bean. Up till now I really didn't want to bother him since he is on leave with his family, but since things seem to be heading downhill, I figure he can regain the peace. He said that SFC Wiley had spoken to him, that he remembered that I wanted my anniversary off, but that I never put in a pass form. (SFC Wiley now thinks I just decided to take off of work) I SPECIFICALLY remember asking if I had to turn in a pass form and him saying no. He says that he can't recall either way. He tells me to go to work, not go see SFC Wiley and MSG Moffitt. I tell him that I don't like that idea because I feel it makes me look like i'm hiding or something.

On the way into work I decide that I will go see SFC Wiley anyway. My thought process was this.

Earlier in the day with my 1st phone call from SFC Wiley, My call to SSG Olinger, and then later phone call from SFC Wiley can be summed up as:

#1 person, with more rank tells me to do something. #2 person, but acting immediate supervisor says to do something different. #1 person thinks I blew them off.

Now, I had a situation where:

#1 person, with more rank tells me to do something, #2 person, but my immediate supervisor tells me to do something different.

Seeing that it didn't pan out too well the first time, I decided to try a different course of action and see SFC Wiley.

Her response is that this is all because I don't have a pass form in, had I put one in, this wouldn't have happened.

I didn't see it this way at all, and tried explaining that if she was told she had the day off and didn't need to put in any paperwork she wouldn't either. She's not budging, neither am I. I do like the good soldier and go to work as I am told.

Later on, my boss SFC Bean calls me and tells me that I screwed him over by going to SFC Wiley when he told me not too. I tried to explain that the first series of events didn't work out, I felt the situation was the same and tried something different. In the end we came to an understanding that my "screwing" wasn't intended to be that.

While I can deal with this stuff, my family shouldn't have to. My daughers heart had to get broken twice today.

Last night she thought daddy was finally going to take her to the museum, then I tell her I can't this morning, then I can.......Then I can't again. Fortunately, our dinner reservations were for the evening, so I did get to eat dinner with my wife on our anniversary.

We'll see how all of the pieces land in the days ahead.
Old 4/12/07, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

that's bull **** bro....sorry to hear. get to the civilian side of the world, get paid more, and when you want to take leave....just call in. I respect the military 100% but when it's not a life or death crisis situation, or something that put's soldiers lives at risk...why try and be the hard ***, when someone says they had the day off scheduled with a CO, they should respect that and say, "have a good day" and if they feel the need to push it, contact the CO over them, and when they get back in if they didn't, rip them a new one.....this whole...I'm a big dog and your a little dog, is bull bro. sorry to hear you got caught up in it.
Old 4/12/07, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for understanding, 9 years to go......9 years to go.....9 years to go
Old 4/12/07, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

lmao...9 more years, 9 more years....of hell! :flick: you'll be good bro.
Old 4/12/07, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

dang.. that really really sucked man. Sorry ya had such a crappy day!
Old 4/13/07, 05:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
what a sucky day for sure.
Old 4/13/07, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

That's a tough spot to be in. Sounds like you handled it the best you could. What you attempted to do was a nice gesture, and I'm sure your family understands.