2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Wrong Gear

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/08, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong Gear

This is my story
I was coming off a clover leaf and merging onto the freeway. I was in second gear thinking "Ok let see what my Bullitt can do". I nailed the throttle to the floor and I took off like a bullitt. I then shifted into 3rd, and I was having problems getting it in! I think that my clutch wasn't alway in ? So after I figured out that I messed up the fun ,I would just abort the idea of raising a little hell. I went to put the tranny into 4th. That is when the mistake happen, instead of putting into 4th I put it back into 2nd! The tires lockup for a split second on the freeway!
I am sure everyone on the freeway was saying " Hay look at the dumb *** trying to destroy his Stang"
I am sure that my valve train took a hit. The car is just fine, But I am feeling bad for the Stang
Old 4/6/08, 08:18 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The tires didn't actually lock, they were just going a lot slower than the car wanted them to.
The valve train probably didn't take a hit, the tires did.
If you had enormous tires and they just dug in, you might hurt the drivetrain.
The engine should be able to maintain the rpms from rising too much as long as the tires give.
Feel bad for the tires.
Old 4/6/08, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

That makes me feel allot better
THANKS
Old 4/6/08, 10:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's easy to get lost in the moment!
Old 4/6/08, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LoudPony
This is my story
I was coming off a clover leaf and merging onto the freeway. I was in second gear thinking "Ok let see what my Bullitt can do". I nailed the throttle to the floor and I took off like a bullitt. I then shifted into 3rd, and I was having problems getting it in! I think that my clutch wasn't alway in ? So after I figured out that I messed up the fun ,I would just abort the idea of raising a little hell. I went to put the tranny into 4th. That is when the mistake happen, instead of putting into 4th I put it back into 2nd! The tires lockup for a split second on the freeway!
I am sure everyone on the freeway was saying " Hay look at the dumb *** trying to destroy his Stang"
I am sure that my valve train took a hit. The car is just fine, But I am feeling bad for the Stang
You're not the only one this has happened to

My question is why am I getting 100% locked out of 3rd gear when the RPM's are (roughly) above 4500? This has happened to me twice; one more time and I'm going to buckle and take it to the dealer
Old 4/6/08, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

>>I nailed the throttle to the floor and I took off like a bullitt. I then shifted into 3rd, and I was having problems getting it in! I think that my clutch wasn't alway in ? <<

Try this method of shifting to third from second: grasp the shifter ball underneath using the palm of your hand and move it toward third without much thrust. Mine goes in smooth as silk. If I grasp from above and forcibly move towards 3rd, it will sometimes not want to cooperate. Hope this helps. I have also noticed that it shifts easier as the miles increase too.
Old 4/6/08, 11:21 AM

The T3650 Trans has suffered form trouble with 2-3 shift form the beginning the S197 remote shifter has only made it worse. A MGW shifter will help. There is also a support bracket that can be added to cut down on the body Trans misalignment that will also help.
FYI this gets worse the colder the Trans is.
Old 4/6/08, 01:18 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts

A/T?

Old 4/6/08, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CHE torque limiters and K-member brace will help alot. Also an aftermarket shifter is always better than the O.E.M./P.O.S.!
Old 4/6/08, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I am glad that it wasn't just me!
Should I tell the dealership?
Is this a different trany then the Mustang GT use's ?
Old 4/6/08, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

You didn't hurt the thing. I can tell you that I tried something crazy and it didn't hurt anything, so you weren't even close. I took of T/C and dropped it into 2nd at 62MPH.

What you thought was bad, I thought was awesome! I was next to this Ferrari and I went for it. The tires barked, then burned, then I hit about 68 and had to shift to 3rd.

Dude in the Ferrari was like WTF! Here's some idiot in a stang doing burnouts on the highway at 60 MPH.

Not going to do it again, but after about 15K more miles on the ODO nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Rule of thumb is T/C won't let you do anything really stupid. So you didn't hurt anything.
Old 4/6/08, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm sorry, But what is a T/C
Old 4/6/08, 07:12 PM
I lust for a M24

Traction Control

It's also a goofy little Scion (Toyota) car.
Old 4/6/08, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
You didn't hurt the thing. I can tell you that I tried something crazy and it didn't hurt anything, so you weren't even close. I took of T/C and dropped it into 2nd at 62MPH. What you thought was bad, I thought was awesome! I was next to this Ferrari and I went for it. The tires barked, then burned, then I hit about 68 and had to shift to 3rd.
And so I will take this opportunity to thank you for sharing this little routine awhile back. BEST darn moments I EVER had in my '06 GT!! Not for the faint of heart and definitely not something to do repeatedly, that's for sure!!

I can't say I'll be doing it in the Bullitt anytime soon though!
Old 4/6/08, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as you don't overspeed the engine, you're fine. My old 01 with a hd spec clutch, I used to downshift into 2nd and do it on purpose for kicks when I came into work and the guys were out smoking on the side of the building...As was mentioned, you would probably need bigger tires with more grip then the stockers to hurt it unless you were really going fast, most of the time at those engine speeds the trans would let you do it in the first place. As for missing shifts, most of the time its your foot not being in sync with your hand and you just goof it.

Last edited by kevinb120; 4/6/08 at 08:19 PM.
Old 4/6/08, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
You're not the only one this has happened to

My question is why am I getting 100% locked out of 3rd gear when the RPM's are (roughly) above 4500? This has happened to me twice; one more time and I'm going to buckle and take it to the dealer
try double clutching it. That does make a difference.
Old 4/6/08, 09:38 PM
I lust for a M24

It's goofy reading this thread. All you guys, and many others have problems shifting in to 3rd.

I have NO problem shifting into 3rd, but **** even w/ the MGW shifter I get locked out of 2nd. What gives? It's like I have the exact same problem getting into 2nd as everyone else has getting into 3rd. It sucks even worse not being able to drop back to the #2 gear.

Old 4/6/08, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RCSignals
try double clutching it. That does make a difference.
its not a 1969 Brockway semi-rig.
Old 4/6/08, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
It's goofy reading this thread. All you guys, and many others have problems shifting in to 3rd.

I have NO problem shifting into 3rd, but **** even w/ the MGW shifter I get locked out of 2nd. What gives? It's like I have the exact same problem getting into 2nd as everyone else has getting into 3rd. It sucks even worse not being able to drop back to the #2 gear.

I've never missed 3rd either myself. I think the stock shifter on 07+ is much better then any of the aftermarket stuff.
Old 4/6/08, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
its not a 1969 Brockway semi-rig.
It's not. Those aren't the only use for double clutching either though

Do what you have to do

Quick Reply: Wrong Gear