2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Inside Info!

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/07, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stray-Bullitt
I am fed up with all the posts, free advertising and hype for Ford esp on my home site IMBOC.com.
I am very disappointed with this pre-production spec and I am tempted to pull out of my purchase of the 2008. Unless I see some last minute surprise at the LA show, Ford will not get a sale out of me.

If Ford really do read all our posts then lets have a thread called
"Boycott the 2008"
Lets stop talking about it and vote with out feet. Now somebody will buy them but as it stands I am not only prepared to pull out of my purchase I am tempted to sell my 01 Bullitt as well.
Having waited for this car that I actually hoped they would not make, it looks like it is going to come up real short for me.
I can imagine the "Boycott the 2008" thread. It would probably be:

Hey ford, heres why we are boycotting your so called "BULLITT":

1. black/grey bullitt wheels? shouldn't it have torque thrusts?

2. 4.6 3v engine? talk about using the bean counter, if only it had the 290 boss aussie engine.

3. 3.5/4" exhaust tips? come on, are you that cheap? If the shelby gt has GTA's, then the Bullitt should.

4. Black stock calipers? Why not red, its the original bullitt brake caliper color.

5. Additional Items that should've been added: Bullitt style seats, dual vented hood, classic mirrors, 160mph speedometer, and wider tires
Old 9/16/07, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Boycott? The car is what it is. You either like it or not. You either buy it or not. But pounding on a car that no one has even seen yet alone drive is a bit premature. I think these specs are not complete. Like much of what Ford leaks only time will tell.
Old 9/16/07, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
An attempt to purchase and restore a '67 or '68 would take a lot more and would never equal the quality, performance, and comfort level of the '08 BULLITT. The classics are limited on the possible improvements while an '08 is limitless. Besides, there is no dealing with rust, bondo, finding parts, and associated headaches.

As beautiful and unique as my '68 GT was when it was finally completed it was not in the same league as my '06 GT. There is a lot of myth, nostalgia, and romance with the original but in reality the current GT generation is far superior, even better that the old GT350s and GT500s. The '08 BULLITT should be a dandy.
All true, and I could not agree more, but I'd bet that driving your '68 GT gave you a totally different and unique experience of going back in time that you cannot find anywhere else.
Old 9/16/07, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the 08 bullitt does not capture the same attention and general aura as the 68, then it does not get my approval. the upsetting thing is, no matter how weak of an attempt ford gives, people will still buy it cause its a "bullitt"

sad.
Old 9/16/07, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

the 01 bullitt on had 5 hp over a stock gt and look how much faster it is..it had a way better torque curve and i should know. i've raced a few
Old 9/16/07, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

just be glad we arent like the camaro guys and that our car is in production..be thankful for what you have not what you want.
Old 9/16/07, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, the body shop foreman (Shawn) at McRee Ford in D i c k inson TX (281-337-1529) has a blue Bullit, with the IRS from an 03-04 cobra, with 60K miles, and is selling it for $16.5k. The car looks good...I took a close look.
Old 9/16/07, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
just be glad we arent like the camaro guys and that our car is in production..be thankful for what you have not what you want.

good point
Old 9/16/07, 05:57 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by incomingRPG
... but I'd bet that driving your '68 GT gave you a totally different and unique experience of going back in time that you cannot find anywhere else.

Absolutely true, including the minimum 105 degree cabin temperature, the vibrations after 85 mph, and the challange of keeping the four tires planted during in my corner carving adventures. On the positive side, the lack of power steering would make even Popeye envious.

Old 9/16/07, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Absolutely true, including the minimum 105 degree cabin temperature, the vibrations after 85 mph, and the challange of keeping the four tires planted during in my corner carving adventures. On the positive side, the lack of power steering would make even Popeye envious.

i know the feeling....

theres no stang that can replace the driving experience that my 65 gives me. thats why a 60's stang will always be saught after, no matter how advanced a new stang may be.
Old 9/16/07, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i know the feeling....

theres no stang that can replace the driving experience that my 65 gives me. thats why a 60's stang will always be saught after, no matter how advanced a new stang may be.
+1
My 2nd Mustang, a 64½ coupe, was a blast to drive. It had the 4 Bbl 289 hipo engine (not the correct engine, I think), 4 spd stick, hurst shifter, Rally Pack, and when I rebuilt the engine, I put in a hotter cam, and had the heads breathed-on, and added headers; it hauled, or at least it seemed to. The only scary thing was when I drove through a deep puddle or heavy rain...amd then there were no brakes (drums front/back). I had a booster on the fronts, but all that did was make them touchy...and prone to locking up.
Old 9/16/07, 08:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i know the feeling....

I think 1 Bullitt's comments were meant to imply that as charming as the old driving experience may seem, dealing with things like hot interiors and losing brakes after going through puddles are not really THAT charming.

That said, the styling of the 60s Mustangs will clearly resonate with people for a long time so they will continue to draw lots of attention.

I'd love a '65 fastback myself.
Old 9/17/07, 02:57 AM

As beautiful and unique as my '68 GT was when it was finally completed it was not in the same league as my '06 GT. There is a lot of myth, nostalgia, and romance with the original but in reality the current GT generation is far superior, even better that the old GT350s and GT500s.
The '08 BULLITT should be a dandy.
"Dandy" Does that mean less than we expected?
Not having a go at you personally but to me it should be,
'Great' or 'Awesome' or 'Unique'

To me Ford is saying we can put any crap limited run car together and you lot will buy it no matter how much we promise and then fail to provide.................
Old 9/17/07, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by boduke0220
the 01 bullitt on had 5 hp over a stock gt and look how much faster it is..it had a way better torque curve and i should know. i've raced a few
"I should know. I've raced a few"

Like it but I should know because I own one and I drive the hell out of
mine every chance I get !

It is head and shoulders over and GT and that is what I wanted the 2008 to be.
Old 9/17/07, 03:12 AM

if the 08 bullitt does not capture the same attention and general aura as the 68, then it does not get my approval. the upsetting thing is, no matter how weak of an attempt ford gives, people will still buy it cause its a "bullitt"

sad.
I agree. The 2008 will never be a 60's car and nor was the 2001. I just think the 2001 captured something special that is going to be completely waterd down in the 2008. The 2001 was not meant to be a 60's car or a fastback but it payed homage to the car, the movie and the era in a really nice limited run car.

One small for instance I dont like already on proposed 2008,
Bullitt badge in a rifle scope? Some said cool?
What has that got to do with the movie or the era?
Old 9/17/07, 05:18 AM

The above are all suppositions, including mine. The one factor which comes to play is few acutally know what it will actually look like. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
Old 9/17/07, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Enough boys, or the administrators will be here soon enough.

Amen brother! Nothing like the vibrations from just idling in the driveway. You could tell how much gas you have by hearing it slosh around in the tank, and "day...am" don't those so called brakes lock up quick! Too me its a miracle every single one of those cars didn't end up totalled in the junkyard. One hell of an experience to drive, none the less, just thinking about all the "bad things" about those cars puts a smile on my face and I'd bet your smiling as well!
Old 9/17/07, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

i know the feeling....

+1!
Old 9/17/07, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I think 1 Bullitt's comments were meant to imply that as charming as the old driving experience may seem, dealing with things like hot interiors and losing brakes after going through puddles are not really THAT charming.

That said, the styling of the 60s Mustangs will clearly resonate with people for a long time so they will continue to draw lots of attention.

I'd love a '65 fastback myself.
Not charming???? The only way I'd call it not charming is if todays modern cars had NOT advanced to the point they are at today.
Old 9/17/07, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
... Amen brother! Nothing like the vibrations...
Here are some observations made by Jeremy Clarkson while taking a 1968 GT around a track, comments which I totally agree with:

"... obviously by modern standards, this is pretty terrible...

... don't really feel what's going on...

... this was built for the straight lines...

... you can cruise in this car, and you can go fast in a straight line, and that's it!

... don't get me wrong though, this is BRILLIANT!"

Quick Reply: Inside Info!