2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Inside Info!

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/07, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read that the exhaust note of the car was dubbed in.
Old 8/31/07, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

As I recall, there were some sound clips of a GT40 used in parts, but by and large, it was indeed the GT390 we were hearing.
Old 8/31/07, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by molo
The sound was indeed dubbed in, but using one of the two actual Bullitt cars to do this. The one that remains to this day is the one that was used for the exhaust sound.
The 2008 Bullitt is supposed to come with an X-pipe to give a fuller sound. Add in a FRPP GTA muffler and you've got an almost identical sound to the movie car. If anyone has heard the 2007 Shelby GT, I'm sure you'll agree the sound is almost identical, and this is what they used.
Old 8/31/07, 06:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wheels?
Old 8/31/07, 06:23 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Those who are worried about the exhaust note, Team Mustang made sure the '01 BULLITT was tuned to make most happy and likely to carry the snorting, fire breathing star of BULLITT tradition come alive in the '08 as well. If not, Ninosport can solve the problem: http://www.ninosport.com/Borla-Sting...2&category=836
Old 8/31/07, 10:11 PM
GT Member

What i have read on the japanese site Ford has partnered with Saleen. They will offer a 465HP S/C version for 1,200,000 Yen ($10,330). I don't know if this is true, but more than likely its not.
Old 9/1/07, 04:30 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by molo
Outside of the actual dialogue, almost ALL important, dramatic sounds are dubbed in later in movies and TV shows. The people that do that work are known as Foley artists.

Some of the exhaust sounds in Bullitt are ambient noise, but much of it was dubbed in later. If you listen carefully, there are ways to tell which is ambient and which is dubbed.
Old 9/1/07, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Outside of the actual dialogue, almost ALL important, dramatic sounds are dubbed in later in movies and TV shows. The people that do that work are known as Foley artists.

Some of the exhaust sounds in Bullitt are ambient noise, but much of it was dubbed in later. If you listen carefully, there are ways to tell which is ambient and which is dubbed.
And even the dialogue is usually dubbed in too as to clearly hear the voices, you pick up too much ambient noises as well.
While watching the Bullitt movie, notice how both cars seem to do "a lot" of shifting, especially where there is no need to shift. They almost take on an 8-speed tranny of sorts. A high and low for each gear! But hey, that's what the crowd wants I guess.
Old 9/1/07, 04:34 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by goesfast
And even the dialogue is usually dubbed in too as to clearly hear the voices, you pick up too much ambient noises as well.
Actually, dialogue is the one thing that usually isn't dubbed in later; not if they can possibly avoid it. It's too difficult to match and the production usually has to pay the actor above and beyond their salary or scale to do additional voiceover work later.
Old 9/1/07, 11:24 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually the dialog in most movies nowadays is ADR'd
Take for example the LotR series about 80% of the dialog was ADR even on the sound stages
When I was in the movie biz we did it all the time. You rarely get a "clean" track for dialog. Even the cameras (film cameras) make noise that can be picked up. Digital cameras it's not such a big deal but you can't control everything and if the dialog is on anything other than a sound stage odds are it's gonna be ADR.
Old 9/2/07, 01:29 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by burningman
Actually the dialog in most movies nowadays is ADR'd
Take for example the LotR series about 80% of the dialog was ADR even on the sound stages
When I was in the movie biz we did it all the time. You rarely get a "clean" track for dialog. Even the cameras (film cameras) make noise that can be picked up. Digital cameras it's not such a big deal but you can't control everything and if the dialog is on anything other than a sound stage odds are it's gonna be ADR.
Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on a couple of points here. I work in the business and I can tell you from experience that here in Vancouver it's rare for television directors, in particular, to play the ADR card when they only have about nine days to complete an hour episodic. More than a couple of takes are rare, and dailies have to be sent to LA for immediate approval, usually within 24 hours. Only if a piece of dialogue is unusable do they resort to ADR.

It is true that movies combined with outdoor shooting are much more likely to require the use of ADR later. Medium to large budget films usually devote much more time to post as well. And when you're dealing with VFX heavy films like the aforementioned LotR trilogy, where there are an abundance of CGI characters, then doing the voices in post is more and more common, if not essential. Smaller budget films or cinema verite independent/gonzo-style projects almost never use ADR.

As to the cameras, the traditional Panavision cine models are reasonably well insulated against internal noise, and have been for many years, in point of fact. The digital HD cameras are in some cases worse, depending upon whether or not they're using internal HD tapes or outputting to something like a Firestore external drive (not always practical depending on shooting conditions). The RED ONE camera can be bad for this, according to what a local cinematographer/director told me recently.
Old 9/2/07, 01:33 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on a couple of points here. I work in the business and I can tell you from experience that here in Vancouver it's rare for television directors, in particular, to play the ADR card when they only have about nine days to complete an hour episodic. More than a couple of takes are rare, and dailies have to be sent to LA for immediate approval, usually within 24 hours. Only if a piece of dialogue is unusable do they resort to ADR.
I thought we were talking about decent sized/budget movies like Bullitt, not tv.
In the case of tv or low budget films i agree.

Anyway this is getting a bit off topic at this point..back to the car
Old 9/2/07, 03:06 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by burningman
I thought we were talking about decent sized/budget movies like Bullitt, not tv.
Well, by today's standards - even adjusting for inflation - Bullitt would not be considered an expensive film. Even by 1968 standards it only had a modest budget; $5.5M. The most expensive parts would have been shutting down many of San Francisco's streets (you'd never get permits to shoot that sequence as live action today), and filming out at the airport. The rest of the scenes weren't any more complicated than a '70s cop show.

But anyway...back to topic...
Old 9/3/07, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

thats it?? this bullitt wil be lame!!! i was waiting for this

special edition for 3 years and what a disappointment.. i would have superchargered my current mustang if i had known this about this bullitt!!!
Old 9/4/07, 02:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mwilson7
Seems like your "insider" left a few things off the list.......
nope, it's the designers who did
Old 9/4/07, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Louie
I think he was implying there's more information that is not being shared.
Old 9/4/07, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I think he was implying there's more information that is not being shared.
I know he was, I was being sarcastic.
Old 9/4/07, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 3.73 gear's a nice upgrade, however...that sort of thing should be on the options list: 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 (3.9 for auto's)
Old 9/4/07, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Considering you have yet to see the car I think your comments are slightly premature.......
Old 9/4/07, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mwilson7
Considering you have yet to see the car I think your comments are slightly premature.......
I love the optimism, but this car is much less than I expected it to be, technically speaking. Just out of curiosity, what other features do you guys still think Ford is keeping secret? Performance-wise, that is.

Quick Reply: Inside Info!