2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Why the hood scoop should be functional!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/06, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been an ardent anti scoop person for the new S197. Scoops have been done to death. heck I see SUV's with them. The SN 95's were scooped out. The shaker is not the "shaker" of old. I kind of agree with the above, Scoops are not that practical with current technology. Fake scoops are all over the older SN 95.

However, my wife's car has the side fake scoops anyway, so she has chosen (her idea) to put a fake hood scoop and fake 1/4 window scoops.

I am planning on keeping my "shelby tribute" scoopless to distant is further from the new creations. I do wish I had known shelby would be making the GT and I would have waited a year and my money and bought his.
Old 9/8/06, 05:53 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Once a car gets to a certain level of performance it is irreverent whether the scoops are functional or not. The Mustangs of the 60's might not be the best but they were the best and most popular designs and scoops are cues of those designs.
Old 9/8/06, 09:04 PM

I too would prefer functional scoops. From a design stand the car does need some more bulge, perhaps a raised hood with some nice contours. We will see what hips can do for the rear quater panels in a few years.
Old 11/7/06, 04:14 PM

OK...I'll join the party on this, late as I am. Just to be clear, there is no such thing as ram air on these cars. A functional hood scoop is just a source of cold air. None of us, or maybe very few of us, drive fast enough to get a true ram air effect. And a ram air effect is impossible with the shaker hood on the S197s because of all that bent air duct. It looks cool/nostalgic, but that's about it. The California Dreaming and GTR hoods are good hoods if you're looking to add a source of cold air to your airbox. I've seen some others too that have venting as well to let some of the heat out and address the air pressure that may build up under the hood when going fast.

As for the hood scoop serving as a cosmetic mod...nothing wrong with that. Lots of us do braided hoses, special wheels, etc. To each his own. Leave it at that. Nothing wrong with the car stock, and nothing wrong with it dressed up. Just enjoy the **** car.
Old 11/7/06, 08:04 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tricksixtyfive
wow i didn't realize this post would stir up angst, my point was a funtional ram air hood, i know that the car probably would be a better desing to have the airflow come in thru the lower valance but hey, i posted a few times if thats the deal then i understand better...
Actually there is no such thing as ram-air for a car, you either have cold air or hot air or something in between. That is, unless your car can go supersonic, but any fool knows, you need a flux capacitor for that!
Old 11/9/06, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
Actually there is no such thing as ram-air for a car, you either have cold air or hot air or something in between. That is, unless your car can go supersonic, but any fool knows, you need a flux capacitor for that!