2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Am I the Only who could care less about the Shelby GT.

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amyb
thank you sir, my I have another(from the movie animal house) lol

Amy
Holy shi*th. Seven years of college (aka Shelby drooling) down the drain!
Old 8/11/06, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by V10
Do we know the price of the Shelby GT?

Shelby stuff is usually just as over priced as Saleen & Roush.
The ballpark unofficial don't quote AmyB speculation price is around $35k. The Saleen 3 Valve is ~44k.
Old 8/12/06, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dotbomb
The ballpark unofficial don't quote AmyB speculation price is around $35k. The Saleen 3 Valve is ~44k.
While I agree that the Saleen is way overpriced, it also has parts that are not available anywhere but from Saleen, and a redone interior, etc. etc.

I think there is very little justification for pricing this shelby only marginally above the cost of a regular GT + the retail (+ installation) price of the FRPP packs it comes with. I'm assuming that an FRPP charger is not standard on the shelby GT.. Correct me if I am wrong. Where's that end up, around $32-33K?

At this point, the shelby name doesn't seem worth thousands of $$ to me.

Otherwise, I say go with a GT/CS with the power pack and handling pack.

OK, maybe I could justify adding a C6 hood for kicka** factor.
Old 8/12/06, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pitpup
Holy shi*th. Seven years of college (aka Shelby drooling) down the drain!
seven years is a long time...

that must have been fun!
Old 8/12/06, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by amyb

.....Passion can be dangerous...

Amy
Passion also sells cars at $20K+ ADM or can completely undermine sales
Old 8/12/06, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

maybe if most people keep hateing this car, I can get one at MSRP!!!
Old 8/12/06, 01:13 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yur1279
maybe if most people keep hateing this car, I can get one at MSRP!!!
Good point. On second thought I agree with the nay sayers. Boo Shelby GT! No one buy this car
Old 8/12/06, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TRMach1
By your own admission, that will require the passage of time. Who's to say that the Shelby GT won't become just as legendary as the original 40+ years down the road??
Because by then, the GT350 will be a fairytale and a legend just won't live up.

I think Ford and Shelby did a good thing here. They addressed MANY of the complaints that people had about the GT500. They addressed the outcry from customers for the GT-H and they added a standard trans to the mix. I think that there are a lot of people out there that have a "the grass is greener on the other side" sort of mentality (i.e. you can't make them happy no matter what you do). I get this all the time working in testing a development in the Air Force. A concept is created and shown to those who will use it and all they have to say is "This is crap". Why not "this is crap because..." Then your complaints can be addressed and maybe some quality can be sent your way.

OR....make your own car company and you can address all of your concerns in your first model and put all of these other guys out of business because you obviously know what you are doing better than any of these old crusty companies that have been around since the car was invented.

My only suggestion for the Shelby GT. Give me some more options for teh color scheme. I really don't care what, but two choices just doesn't cut it. AND paint the goll dern () stripes on already!!
Old 8/12/06, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

I dont like the car...period. Fearing being attacked by the powers that be I will expound in detail on my opinion.

1) I dont like the limits on exterior colors and the limit of LeMans stripe color.

I know the original Shelby was only available in white with guardsman blue stripes but even that color scheme is not available! ( which is exactly what I would order if given the option )

At least have the original color scheme available.

Some people dream, some people dream on Technicolor, I dream in white and guardsman blue.

A reason they would do this is because it is cheaper.

2) I dont like that it uses the same front fascia as the FORD GT/CS.

Shelby needs to have their "own" look. Not settle for installing parts off that are readily
available on Ford's shelves.

The only reason they would do this is that it is cheaper.

3) I dont like the hood scoop, the Cobra scoop does not look right on the Mustang.

This was definitely a bad idea...

Should have looked more like the 1967 hood or at least just like the 1965-66 Shelby
Mustangs. But it looks like neither.

It is defintely cheaper to use an already existing scoop instead designing & manufacturing
an original scoop or whole hood.

4) I dont like that the same GT badge found on the Mustang are also on the Shelby.

It is defintely cheaper to not remove the badges and either fill in the holes and paint or
design and manufacture a original Shelby badge that would use the existing holes.

5) I think the boost of 25 hp is pretty pathetic.

I know the original Shelby was rated at 306hp vs the Mustang GTs 271hp so this is
dead on when compared the the boost up to 325hp for the Shelby-GT.

I also realize that they are saving some BANG for the GT 350 and...

it is cheaper to keep the hp gains moderate.

I realize now why all these shortcomings and shortcuts were allowed to help
keep this offering from Shelby affordable.

I dont think there would have been as many "negative" comments and views if the GT 350 had been released first.

If Shelby would have introduced the GT 350 FIRST, the Shelby-GT would not have been even a blip on the radar of real Shelby fanatics and would have looked like a great idea to capitalize on the GT 350s popularity by providing an "affordable" Shelby to the masses. That is the public that has heard of the Shelby name but doesnt know the difference between a GT 500 and a GT 350 and has never seen a Shelby Cobra hood scoop. These are the ones who would buy a Shelby-GT just because it has the Shelby name on the car.

The real Shelby lovers would be ordering GT 350s...

I am really stuck on the fence.

I am ready to order a Mustang now and the idea of being able to order a REAL Shelby gives me chill bumps but unfortunately the Shelby-GT does nothing for me at all.

I am hopeful that the GT 350 will be more to my liking but after seeing the Shelby-GT I dont
know what to expect from Shelby Autos.

I dont know if I can hold out long enough for the GT 350 to be released to the public.

I want a Shelby GT 350! Not a GT 500 made by Ford with the Shelby badges on it but a real
Shelby built by Shelby.

Could SOMEONE give us a ballpark timeframe when Shelby is wanting to release the GT 350 ?

Sincerely, Tim Duncan

My fingers are crossed hoping someday of become a Shelby GT 350 owner...
Old 8/12/06, 02:27 PM
GT Member

THAT is waht I like to see.....a military dude that attacks the issue and provides a way to make him happy.....even if it does partially require time travel.
Old 8/12/06, 02:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by USMC_LB
PS: I think that this Shelby should have been released AFTER the new Shelby GT 350 was released. If Shelby would have introduced the Shelby
GT 350 FIRST the Shelby GT would not have been a blip on the radar.
Don't forget Shelby is still a business. As Amy has said, they are taking little steps to build up the name and relationship with Ford. Looks like a Shelby GT this year, and i'd say by next year a GT 350 w/ blue stripes and 2008 will see the GT500KR. Would make no sense to release your top dog first and then lower models. Maybe have both at the same time, that woudl ahve been cool, a Shelby GT and the GT 350 both released at once so people could get what they want.
Old 8/13/06, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

Would make no sense to release your top dog first and then lower models.
I dont agree with that.

Shelby would hit a home-run with a very retro looking GT 350 that had original styling ( with styling ques from the 65-65s & 67-68s as well as awesome handling and around 425-450 hp). Shelbyites would be going nuts ordering them and every magazine would be covering it. Not just car magazines either!

Everyone would be saying SHELBY IS BACK and with a vengence!

Then while the hype is still high Shelby releases something that they didnt do the first time...

Made possible with great cooperation from Ford, now available to the masses, an affordable OWN-A-RACER (playing on the Hertz Rent-a-Racer program) backed by a healthy list of after-market options for the customer who wants to put more power in his Shelby-GT.

If this had been the path that had been taken I think alot of the negative
reception of the Shelby-GT would have been avoided. Because the REAL Shelby fans would have been pre-occupied figuring out which options they were going to order on their GT 350s.

The Shelby-GT is not a bad car its just not what SHELBYITES have been dreaming about when they hear that Carrol Shelby is back to snake charming the Mustang.

AmyB can you give us any info when the GT 350 might be released? My email address is tduncan_usmc@hotmail.com

Sincerely, Tim Duncan
Old 8/13/06, 09:16 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Well said, Tim.
Old 8/13/06, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I thought Shelby was back with the GT500???
Old 8/13/06, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

i agree, not really into it. like my 07 gt in itself
Old 8/13/06, 10:44 PM
Cam Tease

I thought Shelby was back with the GT500???
Nah, even Shelby admits thats the work of SVT.
Old 8/13/06, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well put George better Value , except it can't be had ! Hey I got a pic of your home !
Attached Thumbnails Am I the Only who could care less about the Shelby GT.-jesters-place.jpg  
Old 8/14/06, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you are the only one. I love it.
Old 8/28/06, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Well, I do think that Amy is an intelligent woman who knows that criticism on the internet whether bad or good should be taken with a grain of salt. You can still get good info from bad criticism and get great info from constructive criticism. As long as people don't bash Amy herself or Shelby as a person. That is uncalled for. If people bash the Shelby company, then Amy should take it for what it's worth. Thanks again Amy for great info on the Shelby GT and on any Shelby products that are out or will be out in the future.
Old 8/28/06, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Add me to the underwhelmed list. I just can't see it being worth $10k more than what I paid for my GT. We'd just be paying several grand for the Shelby name on it. Maybe 30 years from now I'll look back and say "Doht!" Maybe not......probably not.

Quick Reply: Am I the Only who could care less about the Shelby GT.