2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

2008 Shelby GT CHEAP backyard sub-standard hack job…

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/08, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Shelby GT CHEAP backyard sub-standard hack job…

I am absolutely shocked at the cheap craftsmanship the Shelby folks have done with this Shelby GT.

Here are some Photos I took today at a local Ford Dealer. These are of a 2008 Shelby GT sitting on their showroom floor.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...bare_metal.jpg

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=top_view.jpg

(For some reason the images would not embed) Pictures can be found here http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/BlackGT500/

These sloppy unfinished gouged out holes in the hood with two layers of bare metal edges, combined with the cheap crooked (stripped?) sheet metal screws holding the cheap top plate on, look worse than if they were done in the driveway by a couple of 12 year olds with a hand drill…

They want $48,000 for this butchered hack job. Oh My God??? What kind of cheap Excrement are they trying to pawn off?

If I sent my brand new GT500 to them for a SuperSnake package and they sent this sub standard CR@P back I would be very PI$$ed

Are all the new Shelby modified Mustang GT’s done as poorly as this one? What is the deal with this?
Old 2/7/08, 09:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, my local dealer has a Shelby GT as well. It reminds me of a saying about a few girls I know. Good from far, but Far from good. I wouldn't be happy if it was my car.
Old 2/7/08, 10:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I saw a Shelby at a dealership where they had the hood open and someone put the pins back into the holes and then forgot and closed the hood.
Old 2/7/08, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm..I have no complaints about my Shelby GT. The craftsmanship was first rate.

Brad and Scothew have seen my car as well and they didn't mention anything to me. I know Scothew took about 500 pictures of the thing too so he would know the car probably better than me at this rate.

Old 2/7/08, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

They build the Shelby GT's in 2 person teams. If you have two skilled craftsmen, you will have a top rate Shelby GT. If you are unlucky enough to have their two worst builders, you will end up with what you see in the pics. I have been at the factory and spoke with a few of the builders. I doubt the guys I spoke with built the Shelby GT in the pics above. They were committed and excited about their jobs.
Old 2/7/08, 11:05 PM
Cobra Member

I thought they were using a different hood pin set up with 'Shelby' on the plate?
Old 2/8/08, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brian,

How did they cover or seal the bare metal edges of the over sized holes they drilled in the hood under the hood pin plates?

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h..._to_happen.jpg

Because they did nothing to the edges of these holes.

Originally Posted by MilStang
Hmm..I have no complaints about my Shelby GT. The craftsmanship was first rate.

Brad and Scothew have seen my car as well and they didn't mention anything to me. I know Scothew took about 500 pictures of the thing too so he would know the car probably better than me at this rate.

Old 2/8/08, 03:55 AM
V6 Member

I can't begin to imagine the score of folks (if not into the hundreds) that have looked my car over and walked away amazed. I'm sure you'll get a few bad eggs in every carton, but that doesn't mean the whole lot has gone bad.

Besides, who pays MSRP for these things anyway?
Old 2/8/08, 04:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

So Matt,

How did they cover or seal the bare metal edges of the over sized holes they drilled in the hood under the hood pin plates?

Two of you have replied now about how good your Shelby GT looks yet neither of you have explained how the bare metal (read: serious rust issues) edges of the augured out holes in the hood were sealed. Were they? Have you even looked closely at the holes in your hood?

Besides, they are asking way over MSRP for this one.

Originally Posted by Romeo46LV8
I can't begin to imagine the score of folks (if not into the hundreds) that have looked my car over and walked away amazed. I'm sure you'll get a few bad eggs in every carton, but that doesn't mean the whole lot has gone bad.

Please post some pictures, I really want to know how yours were sealed.

Besides, who pays MSRP for these things anyway?
Old 2/8/08, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The hood is aluminum, so there won't be any rust issues.
2. The pins you show are of an 07, not an o8. 08s don't come in black unless it's the BJ version, and they'll have the nicer pins.
3. Don't buy one.
Old 2/8/08, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

The metal ring is sealed to the hood with a rubberized gasket. The hood is aluminum so it will not rust. The center hole for the pin lets water in anyway, on all hood pin set-ups ever made. In fact the whole engine compartment is made to get wet, and will. Asking how the hole is sealed is like me asking you how they seal the big vent holes in the top of your GT500 hood?

I guess they could have daubed a bit of touch up paint on the metal edges, but that seems kind of nitpicky. My car is white so I can't see the hole edges anyway, it all looks the same. I guess if I was an **** guy or if I was going to some car show twenty years from now with it, I could do it myself in less than 20 minutes and no one would ever notice it anyway. I'm not gonna badmouth all Shelby GT's or sell the car or judge the entire car due to an almost unseen edge of unfinished metal is showing under the hood.

Now, that hood pin is another story, that is totally unacceptable. At some point, the car in your images was damaged by some moron, the plate seems warped and does not sit flat anymore, and at least one screw looks to be canted or ripped out of it's hole. That's something I would find totally unacceptable and who would buy a car with that showing? If that represents the workmanship then how would they actually sell these cars?

Who did this and where is anyone's guess. Maybe it was at the dealership, maybe at Shelby, but I'm sure any legit dealer would get it fixed. If this was done at Shelby then I am surprised, I have looked at a lot of Shelby GT's including the one I bought, and the hood pins always looked fine and sat flush with correctly installed screws.

So the answer to your question is that this is not normal. I'm not sure if you actually wanted an answer to your question.
Old 2/8/08, 08:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
So Matt,

Two of you have replied now about how good your Shelby GT looks yet neither of you have explained how the bare metal (read: serious rust issues) edges of the augured out holes in the hood were sealed. Were they? Have you even looked closely at the holes in your hood?

Besides, they are asking way over MSRP for this one.

I'm sorry Keith, I mean absolutely no offense, but I think you're being nit-picky to...well...be nit-picky. To be honest, this is the first time I've ever even checked what the bottom side of those holes look like in my hood. I've been a bit too busy with the rest of the car, reveling in how awesome it really is, and the quality of the parts that matter just a bit more to me. And frankly so is everyone else that I've met. Let's see:
  • SCer installation - excellent.
  • Tire/rim/brake package - great!
  • Shifter - very good.
  • Stripes - looking hot.
  • Other various Shelby mods - all in great working order.
All installed at SAI (great work btw guys and gals if you're reading this). I mean folks seriously this is a Ford. I don't, and you shouldn't, expect the quality you'd find on a Ferrari or Lambo - on any Ford. Hopefully that doesn't come across the wrong way (I've owned 3 stangs so far and would recommend them and other Ford products to others...there made it better ).

Oh, and to answer your question about the bare metal...I have the CS6/GT-H hood which if I'm not mistaken is made out of fiberglass which can't/doesn't rust (at least not to my knowledge). When I get around to fully unwrapping my stock hood SAI shipped back to me I'll take a look at it and let you know what it looks like.

Congrats on your new GT500 btw. They were #1 on my short list of "what kind of new car" do I want to purchase. That, until the dealer mark-up hit a fevered pitch and I couldn't wait any longer for them to come down. Glad to have another Shelby in the fold.

Originally Posted by backafter20
1. The hood is aluminum, so there won't be any rust issues.
2. The pins you show are of an 07, not an o8. 08s don't come in black unless it's the BJ version, and they'll have the nicer pins.
3. Don't buy one.
+1 on all accounts.

Originally Posted by Tantal
The metal ring is sealed to the hood with a rubberized gasket. The hood is aluminum so it will not rust. The center hole for the pin lets water in anyway, on all hood pin set-ups ever made. In fact the whole engine compartment is made to get wet, and will. Asking how the hole is sealed is like me asking you how they seal the big vent holes in the top of your GT500 hood?

I guess they could have daubed a bit of touch up paint on the metal edges, but that seems kind of nitpicky. My car is white so I can't see the hole edges anyway, it all looks the same. I guess if I was an **** guy or if I was going to some car show twenty years from now with it, I could do it myself in less than 20 minutes and no one would ever notice it anyway. I'm not gonna badmouth all Shelby GT's or sell the car or judge the entire car due to an almost unseen edge of unfinished metal is showing under the hood.
+1 and great reasoning. Couldn't agree more.

Now, that hood pin is another story, that is totally unacceptable. At some point, the car in your images was damaged by some moron, the plate seems warped and does not sit flat anymore, and at least one screw looks to be canted or ripped out of it's hole. That's something I would find totally unacceptable and who would buy a car with that showing? If that represents the workmanship then how would they actually sell these cars?

Who did this and where is anyone's guess. Maybe it was at the dealership, maybe at Shelby, but I'm sure any legit dealer would get it fixed. If this was done at Shelby then I am surprised, I have looked at a lot of Shelby GT's including the one I bought, and the hood pins always looked fine and sat flush with correctly installed screws.

So the answer to your question is that this is not normal. I'm not sure if you actually wanted an answer to your question.
And my last comment on the matter - I couldn't agree with you more. The workmanship - whether from SAI direct or self made at the dealer - should be a no questions asked warranty repair by someone with half a brain. You'd think the dealer would want to fix that ASAP before ever even trying to sell it to someone.

If I saw that on ANY car at a dealer I was at, I'd turn...and run.
Old 2/8/08, 11:25 PM
V6 Member

40 years from now someone restoring one of these cars will be worried about preserving or duplicating the rough unpainted finish of these holes because the MCA will deduct points if the holes are deburred and painted.

During the 77th annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event one of the Speed TV commentators will point out that your car isn't correct because the edges of the holes have been painted and that could be holding back the bidding on the car.
Old 2/8/08, 11:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Romeo46LV8
.............. I mean folks seriously this is a Ford. I don't, and you shouldn't, expect the quality you'd find on a Ferrari or Lambo - on any Ford. Hopefully that doesn't come across the wrong way (I've owned 3 stangs so far and would recommend them and other Ford products to others...there made it better ).

I take that as you meaning the Ford qualitry isn't bad, it's that it's a $35 K plus Ford not a $350 K PLUS Ferrari or Lambo.
Old 2/8/08, 11:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 428CJ(R)
40 years from now someone restoring one of these cars will be worried about preserving or duplicating the rough unpainted finish of these holes because the MCA will deduct points if the holes are deburred and painted.

During the 77th annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event one of the Speed TV commentators will point out that your car isn't correct because the edges of the holes have been painted and that could be holding back the bidding on the car.
That's the way it should be in the future, but I predict some MCA Gold Judge will do the opposite, insisting the hood must have been replaced by someone because Shelby would never do that.

I've seen a lot of over restored early Mustangs that were considered 'accurate' by the so-called pro's
Old 2/9/08, 12:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
I take that as you meaning the Ford qualitry isn't bad, it's that it's a $35 K plus Ford not a $350 K PLUS Ferrari or Lambo.
Exactly! I do not think Ford's quality is bad - just the opposite actually. There quality has certainly come up quite a bit in recent times and is steadily rising (just look no further than the '05+ stang or the Fusion for their quality control abilities).

What I am saying is that it seems that some folks think that their $35k Ford should have the same quality that a $350k Ferrari or Lambo would have which most of us can probably agree on is far, FAR from the truth. Once you accept that, its all smooth sailing.
Old 2/9/08, 08:08 PM
GT Member

Lightbulb Wow you really have issues...

Originally Posted by Black GT500
I am absolutely shocked at the cheap craftsmanship the Shelby folks have done with this Shelby GT.

Here are some Photos I took today at a local Ford Dealer. These are of a 2008 Shelby GT sitting on their showroom floor.

These sloppy unfinished gouged out holes in the hood with two layers of bare metal edges, combined with the cheap crooked (stripped?) sheet metal screws holding the cheap top plate on, look worse than if they were done in the driveway by a couple of 12 year olds with a hand drill…

They want $48,000 for this butchered hack job. Oh My God??? What kind of cheap Excrement are they trying to pawn off?

If I sent my brand new GT500 to them for a SuperSnake package and they sent this sub standard CR@P back I would be very PI$$ed

Are all the new Shelby modified Mustang GT’s done as poorly as this one? What is the deal with this?
I have read some of your posts and I feel I have to intervene. You have some serious mental issues. You seem to be totally fixated by a car you don't even own!

You're going to dealerships, taking with you a high resolution camera, with Macro focusing even, taking pictures of little imperfections so you can run home and post them here? Have you always done this and today it's just this car? Was the object of your obsession the VW Bug last year? Have you considered moving on to larger vehicles perhaps.

I really am serious! You seem to have this need to tell people how terrible this car is yet those who own it seem pretty happy and you, from all accounts are happy with your car, yet you still have this thing in your head that compels you to run around taking pictures?!?!

You need some help my friend and I really hope you get it soon. I would hate to read one day you were hurt taking pictures of defective farming equitpment or something.

Peace...
Old 2/9/08, 08:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by GTH395
I have read some of your posts and I feel I have to intervene. You have some serious mental issues. You seem to be totally fixated by a car you don't even own!

You're going to dealerships, taking with you a high resolution camera, with Macro focusing even, taking pictures of little imperfections so you can run home and post them here? Have you always done this and today it's just this car? Was the object of your obsession the VW Bug last year? Have you considered moving on to larger vehicles perhaps.

I really am serious! You seem to have this need to tell people how terrible this car is yet those who own it seem pretty happy and you, from all accounts are happy with your car, yet you still have this thing in your head that compels you to run around taking pictures?!?!

You need some help my friend and I really hope you get it soon. I would hate to read one day you were hurt taking pictures of defective farming equitpment or something.

Peace...
Glad we have you here to save us! Just what we need at TMS, an internet psychologist. Wow, go figure, a Mustang enthusiast taking pictures of a Mustang. A more rare, collectible Mustang at that. Shocking that he would even take the time to look at it. Guess what, I've got pictures of lots of Mustangs I don't own. As a matter of fact, I posted some of the first Saleen S197 pictures at a dealership when they first came out. I don't own a Saleen, what was I even doing looking at it sitting on the podium at the dealership?

Get a life, you taking the time to write your post is a lot more "" than him taking the time to post pictures. Heck, someone owning a "high resolution" digital camera... you're right, that's nuts. What is this, 2008?

Old 2/9/08, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Get a life, you taking the time to write your post is a lot more "" than him taking the time to post pictures. Heck, someone owning a "high resolution" digital camera... you're right, that's nuts. What is this, 2008?

Yeah, I carry my camera with me at all times in the car just for these Kodak moments I take it you do as well!?!?! I too have plenty of pictures of cars I don't own, but I don't go running back to dealerships to take pictures of cars with "issues" so I can later run back home and post as if to imply to the owners of those cars they own "cheap Excrement" seeming to take some perverted pleasure in doing so.

That's sick my friend, that's called low self-esteem. This is a guy I guess would need a GT500 to feel good about themselves and i suspect runs around on the highway all day looking for people to race. Only problem is hang on...here comes the SGT and all of a sudden our friend feels the need to belittle a car he sees as a threat and to keep is self-inflated ego and deflated ADM wallet feeling just hunky dory he spends an inordinate amount of time slamming the car in different threads here and this was the last straw.

To steal your line: I'm Glad we have him here to save us! Just what we need at TMS, a jerk that bad mouths other people's cars. I see you think that's just fine heh? What ever...

Oh, BTW, be careful there my friend. based upon your sig it seems you too may have a backyard hack job car in his unbalanced mind. if you see some guy taking close-ups of your custom made enclosure, well...don't say I didn't warn you!

Anyway, the only thing more "screwy" than me responding to him is you taking the time to respond to me or reading this thread when you don't even own an SGT.

Guess we'll see if you really are OCD! Wanna go again? Let's play...
Old 2/9/08, 10:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by GTH395
Yeah, I carry my camera with me at all times in the car just for these Kodak moments I guess you do as well! I too have plenty of pictures of cars I don't own but I don't go running back to dealerships to take pictures of cars with "issues" so I can go run back and imply to owners of those cars they're being taken for some perverted pleasure. That's sick my friend.

Anyway, the only thing more "screwy" than me responding to him is you taking the time to respond to me, defending him, as if you or your opinion would really matter to me. Guess we'll see if you really are OCD!

Wanna go again?
Where are we going? To an online fight? Yeah, you got me dork. Jeesh, grow up.

Quick Reply: 2008 Shelby GT CHEAP backyard sub-standard hack job…