2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

Is traction control inoperable on GT-H?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/06, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is traction control inoperable on GT-H?

I heard this from somebody who rented one and said that the traction control could not be turned off. Is this true? You could still spin the tires with the TC on, but it sure limits the burnouts. i guess I don't blame them though, since they don't want to have to change the tires after every person that rents it.
Old 7/6/06, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

I read the same thing, can't remember where. It's not really surprising though, they want to try and extend the mileage of those rear tires
Old 7/9/06, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I rented one in Vegas. I think I posted on Stangs-Unleashed. TCS is not operable!!!
Old 7/9/06, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

they might have just disconnected the switch....
Old 8/6/06, 02:06 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by WERKED 66
they might have just disconnected the switch....

Lol, nope, we bypassed it sorry a request from Hertz

Amy

Shelby autos
Old 8/8/06, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by amyb

Amy

Shelby autos
Gotta love the lurking corporate presidentes huh?!!!!

Can't blame you though...Although I suspect the Bridgestone/Ford Exploder, I mean Explorer, fiasco and continuing litigation likely contributed heavily

On another note, i was in and out of Tampa this week and noticed two in the rental lot, although I took no pics [sorry]

****, i should have though, i had my phone with me, was just in a hurry...

I read in MT that Hertz is requiring a boarding pass or plane stb in order to check one out, since they don't want to just give them to locals to use and abuse...interesting approach i guess.
Old 8/8/06, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Amy

Shelby autos
how many ex or current military guys do we have here?

This looks like classic "misinformation"!!!!
Old 8/9/06, 12:28 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by futuresvt
how many ex or current military guys do we have here?

This looks like classic "misinformation"!!!!
Sorry guys, was just trying to help

Amy
Old 8/9/06, 12:51 AM

Easy answer to get Traction Control OFF!

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I heard this from somebody who rented one and said that the traction control could not be turned off. Is this true? You could still spin the tires with the TC on, but it sure limits the burnouts. i guess I don't blame them though, since they don't want to have to change the tires after every person that rents it.
Well, your friend's assesment was a bit off because the tires won't spin with traction control ON. It'll shut the car down like RIGHT NOW, not only taking power away, but even using brakes if it needs them. Try cutting lose around a 90 degree corner floored, and the car will COUGH! Is this a SHelby? Well, yes--sort of. You might just want to put it BACK the way FORD designed it(temporarily!) and try that corner again. When you can use all functions it's a great running car.

So, to answer your question YES, it's easy to turn traction control OFF. It had to be something both simple to do, and simple to undo, or they wouldn't have done it. Don't pull any fuses, don't unhook any connectors, don't even open the hood or look under the dash. They didn't "bypass" anything. There is a blog site that tells the whole story: http://hertzshelbytchon.blogstream.com/

I've read lots of forums, on multiple "Mustang oriented" web sites, and there are multiple posts asking if it's true, questioning how to get around the "disabled TCS OFF switch", and making guesses about how to "enable TCS OFF". One such post says to pull a anti-lock brake module out!!! Good grief, rent a high perfomance car and disable a wonderful anti-lock brake system? It looks as though Hertz/Shelby didn't realize that: 1) almost everyone that wants to rent a Shelby is a car guy, 2) those car guys want traction control OFF, 3) there are no limits to what great lengths some of these shade-tree mechanic types (especially after a few beers and with input from all their friends) will go to in order to get traction control off!! 4) these same renters are of varying IQ's and mechanical abilities.......so it's obvious the best thing to do, is not worry about the tire wear, leave the car in the configuration in which FORD BUILT IT, and then not worry about some block-head disabling brake components, crashing the car, and killing people. Just rent the car as it was built, ay?

Since they didn't choose to do that, then go to the blog, take a minute (That's all it takes) and enable the "TCS off button" (it's simple and undetectable, and NO they can't check!) Drive the car the way it was built by the factory, and then take another minute before you turn it back in to restore it to the "Hertz no fun" mode. No one knows, they're happy, you're happy, it's a win win situation. If they keep leaving it up to guessing and continue with the image that it's some big mystery some shade-tree genius will get in big trouble screwing the brakes up trying to get it out of TCS ON mode ... better to put the advice out there for all. KEEP IT SAFE, KEEP IT SIMPLE, DRIVE SMART!
Good grief!
Old 8/18/06, 10:29 AM
eci
Banned

Amy

Shelby autos
Bypassed, hah! You just jammed it! Quick and easy fix!
Old 8/18/06, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by AllardJ2
KEEP IT SAFE, KEEP IT SIMPLE, DRIVE SMART!
Good grief!
yea but who's the boob out trying to get wheel spin in the gravel in the pic?
Old 8/19/06, 12:30 AM

Unbelievable, that a person sharing Mustang information-- unknown up to the point of my blog and postings, and sought after by many renters of GT-H's that are both knowledgable and skillful enough to desire it-- receives only insults from "Mustang people", above and below. Nice. Classy too! Way to give good impressions of the marque.
Old 8/25/06, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Spinning the tires in dirt. Phew, that's tuff. What a idiot. It's a rented car, not yours!