2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

Drove the H yesteday in Phoenix, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/06, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove the H yesteday in Phoenix, AZ

All, took a business trip to Phoenix yesterday and long story short Avis lost my reservation and had no cars left so I went to Hertz and the only thing they had left was the GT Shelby H. I know - what a shame

Anyway, I was with my CEO and couldn't really stretch the legs too much but we did have some fun with it. Hertz was a pain (checking everything both before and after I returned the car). They looked under the hood at all the rocker panels, the front spoiler area, etc. By the way, the reason they won't let you take it through an automated car wash is the front spolier height - it's already 1.5"s lower than the stock GT then add the drop of the FRPP suspension and you would probalby tear it off on the guide rails...I even scraped it pulling up to a very low curb . As far as the driving experience - every place I stopped people came out and admired the car - even taking pictures - very popular with the public! You can tell the suspension is awesome (we did hit a few offramps) but you do pay the price as it is quite stiff and not really suitable for a daily driver. Jars noticeably over road bumps, etc. The engine pulls well and exhaust note sounds real nice - but the auto tranny was not a big thrill for me. Compared to my '05GT with JLT II CAI/ExCal/DPG tune, ud pullies, and Magnaflow exhaust, it didn't feel as quick, it handled better/was rougher riding, 1000% more eye candy! A couple of nits were the hood seemed to "bulge" a bit along the fender seams about 1/2 way up towards the windshield, the hood indentation honycomb cover had silver rivets (should have been black so they didn't stand out so much), and the windshield washer outlets are awful.....they stand out in a big way on that raised hood....should have been color coordinated and recessed in the hood or installed along the rear hood lower edge. Nits I know - but why go 95% of the way and leave little details like that unfinished? Hertz made me sign the ususal boatload of paperwork and also some additional paperwork that (if I understood correctly) they were going to provide to the eventual owner of who had rented the car....anyone else run into that? Would I buy this car....I generally stay away from used rental cars - but if the dealers priced it right - I probably would over a regular GT coupe....

PS the Carol Shelby signed sticker on the dash is way cooooool Oh, and the "S H E L B Y" lettering along the rear trunk lid is AWESOME!!
Old 9/13/06, 04:02 PM
V6 Member

That's funny about all of the paperwork because I was expecting it and all I got was the keys and a "You're gonna have fun with this car!" from the guy behind the desk. Were your washer nozzles both pointing to the passenger side as well? From what I have heard it was an issue with the early cars (the one I got is 362).

Cam
Old 9/13/06, 10:54 PM

Yes I got the same grilling when I rented in Phoenix. I see they have lowered the price however. All in all it was great fun and everywhere you go people are asking questions and taking pics.