2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

2006 Hertz Shelby GT-H

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/06, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ April 12, 2006, 3:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There is something seriously sadistic about a company that makes these available for rental ONLY, and yet gives purchasing customers the "California Special." [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Am I the only one who thinks this Shelby GT-H looks awesome? I mean, the wheels could use some work, and it needs a manual transmission, but otherwise... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]I agree, nice little horsepower increase and extras from FRPP, great looking hood, I like the bullitts, I'd even consider the automatic with the 3.55 gears. Finally, something that would motivate me to buy, and they won't sell it to me. Maybe they really don't want to sell me a car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL Im with you RPG....I have been waiting sice last year when I ordered a GT and couldnt get it built. Now Im close again and this comes out and I cant get it and now Im irritatated with the whole thing. After talking with numerous dealerships and salespeople the past few months and last year I have about had enough of the car business. They announced the closing of 2 Ford plants today....stuff like this why and they have only themselves to blame.
Old 4/13/06, 03:56 PM

Mixed feelings about the GT-H.

Good:
That there's one at all. And it's not just a cheap stripe and scoop job like the GT-CS, there's real meat and substance here.
Motor upgrades. While modest, nice to see some extra oomph nonetheless.
Chassis upgrades. Again, modest but nice to see nonetheless.
No fake hood scoop. Must have taken a 10-Step program to resist this Mustang stylistic crack.
Exhaust. X-pipe and Borla(?), probably adds more to sound than actual fury, but that's fine.
3.55s. Just enough deeper for a little extra mule kick.
Side scoops. Not as bad as SN-95 Stang.
Black and Gold paint scheme. Looked good in '66, looks good in '06.

The Bad:

Bulbous hood. Add 100 points for resisting ubiquitous fake hood scoop, minus 10 for having such a bulbous hood -- connotes more beer belly than bulging bicep.
Bullitt wheels. 10-Step program worked in resisting hood scoop, had a relapse to old styling foils here. What Mustang DOESN'T have Bullitt wheels anymore -- way tired, trite and overused. Go Fanblades instead, while production, at least they look like an original optional Shelby wheel.
Rear spoiler. See Bullitt wheel entry above.
No brake upgrade? Need added slow to match the added go.
No stick shift? Did I read this right? I know it's a rental, but hey, it's also a Shelby.
Grill. My teenage neighbor could have hacked together a better looking grill from floor scraps in his Metal Shop 101 class. J.C. Whitney would be embarrassed to stock this in their catalog.
Side scoops. Not as good as 2005 Concept Stang.

Conclusion.

While overall an interesting and good addition to the Mustang stable, hope it isn't the precurser of the GT-350 model we're hoping for.
Old 4/13/06, 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its pretty cool, but the concept of doing this for rentals dumbfounds me. Instead of selling 20,000 to the public, they cost out 500 to shelby to sell to rental companies. I wonder how many actually get rented at all, and of those, how many keep that plate stuck on the dash. I really don't think people are going to race to gobble these up used, its not exactly the same as buying an original H and completely tearing it down and restoring it. Its cool, but its worthlessness to Ford's future breaks out the WTF factor. Simply a DARK GREEN Mustang choice would impress me more. Now we have the silly GT/CS and friggin orange, yay..... All in all a big let down at NY. They should of showed an 07 AWD fusion, the (apparetnly completely finished but on never-ending hold for no reason) restyled 500 or something else that's interesting.
Old 4/13/06, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it comes with a strut tower brace, new hood, etc

Did they just use same parts that they made for the Shelby CS6?
Old 4/13/06, 07:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's deje vu all over again...
Interesting read!
1988 Shelby CSX-T
Old 4/13/06, 08:08 PM
FR500 Member

Is Ford trying to **** away its heritage with harebrained ideas like this? I suppose making it unavailable to the public and jacking the prices up via an auction (what ever winning dealers eventually will charge) is the way to go. What a way to win over the Mustang loving / buying public opinion. How closely does Ford want to repeat history? For those who want but can't get one as in the past- it comes down to those three words again - Build Your Own.
Old 4/14/06, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ecmazza @ April 11, 2006, 11:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyone else notice the S-H-E-L-B-Y letters going across the back? man, so the GT-H gets it, but the GT500 gets the little crappy thing off to the side...what the heck...
[/b][/quote]

Ditto. Why did SVT make that change [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] if (and ive heard of it alot) people hate it. Good thing Ford did the lettering like in the prototype. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Lets hope that doesn't change.
Old 4/14/06, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hi5.0 @ April 13, 2006, 9:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Is Ford trying to **** away its heritage with harebrained ideas like this? I suppose making it unavailable to the public and jacking the prices up via an auction (what ever winning dealers eventually will charge) is the way to go. What a way to win over the Mustang loving / buying public opinion. How closely does Ford want to repeat history? For those who want but can't get one as in the past- it comes down to those three words again - Build Your Own.
[/b][/quote]

Umm, I have the distinct feeling SHELBY is making this car. Hence the Shelby name and Shelby letters and PAINTED stripes (listening Ford? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] ), and the fact he is standing by the car at the NYAS.

Besides, isn't this exactly what they did the first time -- make GT350H's for rental ONLY and nor for purchase? The only difference now is we can't buy a regular version of the car in a different color. Also, let's not forget that in order to sell it, they would have to go through all the government crap. By not selling it, they don't have to worry too much of that stuff.

I do completely agree with your frustration in Ford not stepping up to the plate with the GT/CS, though. But let's not blame Ford for something Shelby is doing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone else notice the S-H-E-L-B-Y letters going across the back? man, so the GT-H gets it, but the GT500 gets the little crappy thing off to the side...what the heck...[/b][/quote]

The GT-H has painted stripes, and that allows for the letter placement. The GT500 has vinyl stirpes, and you can't put stickers on stickers very well. Now, why Ford doesn't paint the stripes for $40k+ is beyond me, but that is a different story.
Old 4/14/06, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Good = nice to see an SE with some hp performance mods and not just tape and badges. Looks great, more ssubtle and clean than a bunch of fake add ons and all. Great chance to reant something fun to drive besides just particall.

Bad = am I the onely one that see this as yet another greedy money making scheme? All CS did here was add some factory racing parts and strripes, he didnt have to manufactur any new parts, put it all togehter , make a lucrative deal with Hertz and watch the money roll in. I see Hertz ready to make a bundle, then sell them to ealers who will auction them off for a bundle, while the rest of us average joes stand by and wish we could afford one, much like the GT500. Who needs another expensive sportscar for over 40k? the worlds got enough of them, where's our affordable Mustang??

And do you seehow greedy and carefully planned this is??? "ShelbyGTH" not a shelby GT-350-H!! so we make a little SE model here with some off the shelf stuff now, and still leave ourself with a Shelby GT350 name for later.

On the bright side since it is basicly all off the shelf parts, we can make our own variations there of for a whole lot less, add superchrger, and compete with our own cars.

But I'm still
Old 4/14/06, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

NICE SHOW PICS
Old 4/17/06, 09:33 PM

Has anybody come across any pictures of the instrument cluster? Ya'll reckon it's just a regular GT MyColor deal or do you think Carroll put the Shelby spin on it?

Also, anybody seen any specs on this baby? Ground clearance, etc... I'm thinking about getting the FRPP CAI and handling package that Shelby put on the GTH to put on my '05 GT.
Old 4/18/06, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you go to the NY Show check out the Upgraded interior on the GT-H. It has the Faux leather dash cover, armrests, and center console!
Old 4/18/06, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Some really good high res pictures of Hertz, GT/CS and Saleen Parnlli. Plus many others...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/index.html
Old 4/18/06, 08:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rampant @ April 14, 2006, 2:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The GT-H has painted stripes, and that allows for the letter placement. The GT500 has vinyl stirpes, and you can't put stickers on stickers very well. Now, why Ford doesn't paint the stripes for $40k+ is beyond me, but that is a different story.
[/b][/quote]

If it is the prototype that is in New York, they might be just vinyl stripes. Take a look at this photo in the Shelby Autos photo gallery.

Makes one wonder if they will either stay on or if there is some magic adhesive now available.
Old 4/19/06, 10:16 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez so many complaints......

I like it.
I think its great to generate even more buzz about the Mustang.
I think its great to be offering sometihng like this as a rental!

As for new parts, well the hood is used on the C6 but it is 'new', the front fascia is new.
As for 'a few reused parts'... its got the FR 3 handling pack which is $1000 of equipment right there. (more than just a strut tower brace..)

And for the grill I have seen a LOT worse out there - not my cup of tea for my own car but I think it's pretty nice.
Old 4/20/06, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have no complaint with the car just that we the public cant buy one.
Old 4/22/06, 01:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ April 12, 2006, 12:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There is something seriously sadistic about a company that makes these available for rental ONLY, and yet gives purchasing customers the "California Special." [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

"...and a numbered ID plate featuring the engraved signature of Carroll Shelby is placed between the center A/C vents." Um, excuse me, but what about the customers who are paying $65K+ for a GT500...? They don't get the ID plate? What gives here? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Am I the only one who thinks this Shelby GT-H looks awesome? I mean, the wheels could use some work, and it needs a manual transmission, but otherwise... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Great Points made here other BC person. do u know C.West at CH ?
Old 4/22/06, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

hey brad...you got any sources on getting the video they showed on the screen at the NYIAS? the one where shelby is returning it?
Old 4/27/06, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

According to our teleconference this Am with the Shelby team, the Hertz Edition is NOT a Shelby but a clone with an upgraded GT engine.

Quick Reply: 2006 Hertz Shelby GT-H