2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

X Plan pricing....what should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Plan pricing....what should I expect?

I'm gettng X plan pricing on my new GT/CS vert....what should I expect as I have never purchased via the "X-Plan" before......
Old 8/10/06, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

hmmmm -well let me rephrase - what have those of you who have purchased an '07 GT/CS Vert been seeing in terms of the dealer willingness to bargain on these vehicles?
Old 8/10/06, 05:18 PM
GT Member

X-Plan confirmation.

I work for a company that is a Ford Partner & as such I'm eligible for X-plan. I purchased my 2005 Mustang on X-plan.

You need: 1. Your X-Plan PIN
2. Name of X-plan participating company/organization (IE:
your employer)
3. Willingness to ask a few questions & take a moment to be
educated.

I cannot help you with 1 & 2 (you'll need to get your own X-plan PIN) but

I can help you with #3:

Here is a usefule tidbit Q&A from the fordpartner.com website:

----------
HOW DO I CONFIRM THE X PLAN PRICE?

As an X plan participant, you are authorized to see the dealer invoice for the vehicle you intend to purchase. See an example of a Ford dealer invoice and where to locate your X plan price.

-----------

This website has dozens of posts w/ what Ford dealer invoices look like so I won't repeat here. Essentially the invoice shows several rows at the bottom:

1. A/Z price -- or what the actual 'factory wholesale cost' is

2. X-plan price --

3. Advertized 'dealer invoice' --

4. MSRP of vehicle.

Do a search on this site and you will find lots of them.

The X-plan price LESS than the 'dealer invoice' price.

Also, as an X-plan participant paying the full X-plan price that is on the invoice, the dealer cannot charge you the 'documantation' fee or the 'administration' fee that is usually tacked on in the F&I office when you go to actually purchase your car.

You should sign TWO pieces of paper for the Ford X-plan that the F&I manager should provide. That allows the dealer to collect $$$ from the factory on an X-plan deal. If you are paying the full X-plan price that is on the invoice for your car (yes, you can ask to see this invoice just like the ford website says) and if the F&I folks attempt to tack on admin fee / doc fee, you can protest.

Using my X-plan access on fordpartner.com I just ran a query for a well-equipped GT (usually the California Specials are going to be cars w/ most of the factory toys) and I found one w/ a MSRP sticker price of $29,725.00. This MSRP is probably in-line with the CS Coupes...

My example vehicle (happens to be on a dealer lot in Georgia):

---------------
Coupe GT
VIN: 1ZVFT82H675208610

Total MSRP: $29,725.00
Total Invoice: $27,759.00
X-Plan*: $27,723.00
--------------------

As such you should get your CS Coupe for just under invoice on the X-plan and not have to pay dealer doc fee or admin fee.

Yes, you will still have to pay for tax, title fees and insurance and gas.

All kidding aside, as long as you keep these facts in mind your dealer should be straight with you. I had very few headaches buying my car and I don't think you will be hassled. Remember: Dealers have inventory of these cars now.

good luck!

Hope this helps,

Eric.
Old 8/10/06, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Eric - thank you for the detailed explaination around the X-plan.

Can't wait to pick up the new GT/CS vert.....have to wait for it to be built though
Old 8/10/06, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Make sure you ask around at the dealerships to see if they are willing to accept X-plan on a GT/CS. Acceptance of X-plan is optional to the dealerships. Some accept it and some don't. That is, unless your friend it locating you a car, if so then you've got no problems it sounds like
Old 8/10/06, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Make sure you ask around at the dealerships to see if they are willing to accept X-plan on a GT/CS. Acceptance of X-plan is optional to the dealerships. Some accept it and some don't. That is, unless your friend it locating you a car, if so then you've got no problems it sounds like
Yeah he's cool with it....a real stand up guy - we go all the way back to high school and he's a "good egg"
Old 8/11/06, 12:34 PM

Hi, first post!
I'm also looking to buy one through the x-plan, once you log your details on the fordpartner.com website, you can then when you go to fordvehicles.com and see the x-plan price on what ever you build (the fordpartner site leaves a cookie to let the fordvehicles site know).
Hope that helps

Hoping to order in the next few weeks a black with dove coupe.
Old 8/11/06, 01:41 PM
GT Member

Talking Good luck on D-plan!

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Eric - thank you for the detailed explaination around the X-plan. One of my best friends is the GM at a Ford dealer and he just called and said he was going to try and "squeeze" me a deal under the "D" / family plan....that's even a bit lower than the "X" plan from what I've been told?

Can't wait to pick up the new GT/CS vert.....have to wait for it to be built though

Yea, that "D" plan would probably save you another $1500 bux because you are buying a fully loaded GT 8 banger convertible. "D" plan on my loaded V6 hardtop (if I was eligible) would've saved me about 900 bucks. Less expensive cars have lesser markups.

Your GM friend im sure knows more about this than I do, but having to wait for it to be built is fairly common for 'plan' pricing on more popular models.

You have this mix of your build priority being figured out by what 'plan' you are on, then figure in the dealers 'factory allocation'. The 'plan' a customer is on determines their build priority. Back in the 2005 model year GT craze (when dealers were getting heavy markups for cars on the lot) a regular retail customer could've maybe gotten their car in Atlanta, GA at in about 8 to 12 weeks. The dealer I went to in Atlanta does a good business and the Mustang has always been a top seller for this dealer (great warm weather car, plus ATL demographics favor cars like the stang) so they had a better 'factory allocation' come the new '05 model year based on sales history. If I wanted a GT in 2005, my dealer would've taken the X plan, HOWEVER my build time would've been 22 weeks instead of 8 to 12 for a retail customer.

Your D plan pricing (if your friend gets you in on that deal) is at about the same build priority as A/Z pricing -- which is a LOWER build priority than X. I doubt you'd see a 20+ week delay in 2007 MY on new Mustangs, even for A/Z/D pricing, but you'll still have to wait.

Now going into the 2007 MY the S197 GT craze of 2005 has subsided, however the car still remains popular. For you to get 'D' plan pricing your dealer will have to order your car as a 'D' plan car, which will shuffle your order down in the priority rankings. If you are super anxious for your car and don't mind spending the xtra $$$, X plan will get you a quicker build date since you are paying more for the car.

Heck your dealer friend could do you a BIG favor and put down like $500 towards the down payment of your X-plan car as 'partner cash' because they'll see that $500 when they get the holdback from the factory. I would not ask for any partner cash on A/Z/D cars as its just not there, A/Z/D discounting is too steep for that. Then you'd sort of 'split' the difference between D and X.... Its all a numbers game!

You will then pay the full X plan price on your car (and sales tax on the X plan price) but the dealer adds like $500 towards your downpayment. That way you sort of 'split' the difference between X and D pricing, you pay a little more, your dealer ship makes a little money, and you get a quicker build date from the factory because of higher priority 'X' plan pricing. Hey its AUGUST already and LABOR day is just around the corner and YOU want a convertible car I'd say go for X plan if $$$ allows so U can have some top-down time this year.

Have fun with your new order!

Eric.
Old 8/11/06, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just hope that your dealer friend doesn't get in trouble for getting you a car under D Plan. D Plan is for dealership employeesthta are in the Ford system, and immediate family members. Ford has really been cracking down on the overuse of D-Plan pin numbers that have been submitted. It was really bad during the employee sale last year.

Ford is so gung-ho, that they want proof of relation. For example, an employee got a PIN number for his wife. Ford wanted a copy of the marriage license. Another was when the manager sold his brother a car. Ford wanted a copy of both social security cards!! If a dealer gets caught, they can be penalized by paying back the money they received from Ford on the D-Plan deal, and they can lose their privilege to sell all plan deals. If you can get it, thats great, but I just hope your friend thinks its worth the risk. BTW, D-Plan is exactly $100 more than an A/Z Plan deal. Just to let you know.
Old 8/12/06, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys for the information
Old 8/13/06, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Thanks guys for the information
http://www.appleford.com/xplan.aspx
Old 8/13/06, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by esorense
Yea, that "D" plan would probably save you another $1500 bux because you are buying a fully loaded GT 8 banger convertible. "D" plan on my loaded V6 hardtop (if I was eligible) would've saved me about 900 bucks. Less expensive cars have lesser markups.
That's correct, D plan is invoice minus 4% plus 100 bucks. For a GT/CS vert the price should be on the order of 1300 under invoice which is around 1200 less than X plan. But like 05fordgt said, D plan is only supposed to be used by dealership employees or their immediate families. The only plan available to the public (through sponsorship) is X plan.