2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Sunday Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/08, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday Drive

Well 48 hrs ago here in Chicago I was looking out the window at about 8 inches of snow on the ground with single digit temps. The prospects of driving the GT/CS anytime soon seemed remote. I wake up Saturday morning to the sound of thunder and rain, not snow. The temps all day Sat are in the 60s with rain washing all that road salt away. Sunday morning proves to be sunny and in the mid 30s, perfect for a drive. With all the posts about cars not starting and the use of battery tenders lately I was keeping my fingers crossed she would fire. I haven't started her in about 3+ weeks and I don't disconnect the battery or use a tender, but luckily she fired right up. I think every car nut in Chicago's South suburbs had the same idea for a drive as me. I put about 100 miles on her today and didn't see alot of Mustangs out there but several Vettes and few Challengers and GTO's and even a Viper. I had a nice conversation with an 04 Mach 1 driver who was doing the same unexpected Sunday drive thing I was. 2 1/2 hours and 100 miles later it was time to get home and clean her up a little and get ready for the dopey Bears to blow it. I'm sure all those in the warm South and West are laughing at this post but today was a real bonus for us here on the upper Midwest.
Old 12/28/08, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet. I live in the Milwaukee area so we had 3" of new snow by this morning. Our temps peaked Saturday at midnight and it was too cold to do anything today. Glad you got your shot to do some cruising. Funny how those 100 miles seem more enjoyable during these months.
Old 12/28/08, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Had the same idea today.

I had to work today and finished up about 12:30. The roads looked good so me and my son jumped in and drove about 60 mi. He had a blast and I guess not many people have seen a CS. Many asked me what kind of Mustang it is etc. Pretty cool to be able to take a cruise in late Dec in N. IL. Can't wait 'till spring.
Old 12/28/08, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Weather here was crappy, so I didn't get to go motorcycle riding in the morning like I'd hope. I did take Awesome to the 'rents house, but she's my DD anyway. Poor thing...

But good on ya Steve, an unexpected bonus for ya, eh?

/Yep, the Texans played spoilers. Sorry 'bout that.
//well... maybe only a little sorry...
Old 12/29/08, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Western PA had 2 good days!

Saturday morning was rainy but warm (high 64 degrees). By lunchtime the sky cleared up enough to get the toy out and enjoy it. Sunday was almost a carbon copy except it was a high of 69 degrees. Man , did it feel good to get the mustang out for those 2 days! Today is cold but sunny about 38 degrees. Might have to get it out again!
Old 12/29/08, 06:08 PM

Wish I could take mine out with this type of weather, but insurance is off until March
Old 12/30/08, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Man listening to you guys makes me so glad I moved from the Maryland hill country and the crappy weather to sunny Florida.I got so tired of snow and ice and salt and cinders and freezing rain and sleet and drifting snow oh yeah did I say I LOVE Florida?
Old 12/31/08, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool "+1 Florida Winters"

"X": Plus one Bro! Spent time at our son and daughter inlaw's place down in Florida this last November. They live on the west coast at Cape Coral, about a mile from the gulf. We cruised the area's beach roads, the island roads and the highways in his black turbo Mustang coupe! Have to agree it was a bit of heaven while we were there. But my Son says there is no free lunch in life. He said the weather is down right humid and horrid during July and August there. He manages the grounds for a new golf course in Fort Myers. And also said that late summer is when South Forida truely becomes an outdoor weather Hell with palm trees. CalStang
Old 12/31/08, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's see, two weeks ago -18 with a -34 wind chill and snow. Today, I pulled the Mustang out and drove 100 miles round trip for lunch, washed her, and installed my Jaeger Brothers splash guards. Back in the garage, with the battery tender.

It was 38, snow was gone, dry roads, sunshine and blue sky, no wind. Perfect driving weather. snow predicted for tomorrow
Old 1/2/09, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by xtoolmaker
Man listening to you guys makes me so glad I moved from the Maryland hill country and the crappy weather to sunny Florida.I got so tired of snow and ice and salt and cinders and freezing rain and sleet and drifting snow oh yeah did I say I LOVE Florida?
Come east folks...Monday and Tuesday were great enough to drop the top in Northern VA! Those drives should hold me for a while...I hope!
Old 1/3/09, 07:12 AM

Here we go again, its Saturday morning and they are calling for above freezing temps in Chicago. No snow on the ground and the streets are dry! I'll meet up with a few car buddies in the far South burbs (maybe a little warmer down there 34-35 degrees lol) for a BS session and lunch. January 3rd I can't believe our luck! Well I better hit the road so I can get back before 2pm or so because there predicting freezing rain late afternoon.
Old 1/12/09, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

We have so much snow I will be Lucky to drive my Stang by March!!
Old 1/13/09, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Global Warming...gotta love it!

Sorry to hear about all the snow. Here in the Black Hills of South Dakota, it was 50 today, sun shine and blue sky. Dry roads, and another drive to charge the battery. Saturday we drove through Custer State Park. It was another great day, and no traffic. But she is back in the garage as we have a 30% chance of snow showers tomorrow.

It has been windy, but very little snow. we are supposed to be in the 50's this weekend again.

I think I love Global Warming!!
Old 1/13/09, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I need to get out of Michigan thats for sure!!!