2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Scoop or no Scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/07 | 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Pretentious is also a synonym for egotistic, arrogant, and snobbish. I also felt a sort of personal attack by your previous post with regard to the comments, "pubescent posturing" and "gullible and ignorent" (sic).

Originally Posted by rhumb
Awright, I'll try to use easy little words and double-check my grammar, spelling and definitions a bit more so as not to confuse anybody.

Perhaps what I mean by purist is that stylistic elements ought to be either that, or design elements ought to be that. I guess what gets my goat is stylistic elements trying to pass off being what they are not, i.e., a hood scoop that isn't. I would expect that such a thing would be somehow genuine, real or authentic, but a fake anything obviously is none of those.

I'll stick with my stuffed bra analogy.

A nicely done stylistic element on the other hand would be the "C scoop (or whatever you might call it) contouring on the side of the Stang. While it might evoke in some highly-stylized, abstract way a side scoop, it quite obviously isn't much less pass off as one.

Question: so how's a fake hood scoop on a Stang any different, much less any better, than, say, a equally fake hood scoop on a Riced-out Honda Prelude (disregarding the underlying cars)? Seems one is as equally functionless and affected as the other, yet many will rant on about how ridiculous ricers are for all their hollow decorations that make them look silly and then, the next moment, rave about how their functionless scoops make them look so mean and badazz.

As for me posturing, a definition from Merriam Webster:<o></o>
: to assume a posture; especially
: to strike a pose for effect
:
to assume an artificial or pretended attitude<o></o>
Seems sporting fake performance adornments comes closer to that definition than me giving frank and forthright opinions, especially when asked by the original post.

As for being prententious:
1: characterized by pretension: as
a: making usually unjustified or excessive claims

b: expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature
Again, seems like a pretend hood scoop - a purely stylistic element passing itself off as an actual performance enhancing design element - would fall well into those definitions more so than someone honestly stating his own personal opinions.
Not all old school mustang hood scoops were functional. My father's 69 fastback had a fake scoop on it too. Granted back then it was easier to convert them. He cut a hole in the hood and put a custom breather on it with a foam seal to make it functional.

I think we are all missing the point here. IMO, by dissecting the fact that a hood scoop is part of the mustang style we fall under a pretentious type of character. If I wanted something fully functional I would have bought a Porsche, or one of the M edition beemers. I chose the mustang because it brought back memories of the muscle era. Back then, hood scoops were functional...nowadays, ever since fuel injection took over...well, you know what I mean. However, for the mustang to retain that style some nonfunctional assets were needed. I'm one hundred percent certain that if you look around your mustang you will find a plethora of nonfunctional items. I'm sure mustang designers sacrified some performance for the look. So, in my honest opinion...if you are a purist, you bought the wrong car.
Old 3/8/07 | 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Not all old school mustang hood scoops were functional.
Indeed. I've had several muscle cars, but the only Ford I've ever owned was a 1972 Gran Torino Sport. It had a non-functional hood scoop, but it looked pretty cool (and I made it semi-functional).
Old 3/8/07 | 07:10 PM
V6 Member

my scoopless 06

Took a couple pics before I get my roush hood scoop installed tomorrow. I'll be sure take some more pics tomorrow!

Old 3/9/07 | 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Rhumb,
have you removed your "fake" gas cap yet? You know, the one that says GT on it?

Just on a sidenote, when I purchased my hood scoop, I had intentions of making it functional - well ,semi-functional anyhow. I don't want to come off as a "poser" with only 500+ hp.
Nice catch! True, true!
Old 3/9/07 | 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I would prefer the Breast Implant Analogy for this discussion. Are they Real, NO, but who gives a ****
I second the motion, I would never turn down a pair of silicone stuffed boobies.
Old 3/9/07 | 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
I second the motion, I would never turn down a pair of silicone stuffed boobies.
There just accessories... I'll stick with the main course!
Old 3/9/07 | 08:44 AM

have you removed your "fake" gas cap yet? You know, the one that says GT on it?
I think it's a little cheesy and garish too -- liked the version on the Concept version much better than the overdone production version -- especially with the awkward key hole that looks like it was drilled into it at the last moment, not a high point of form and function integration (should have hid it under a pivoting cap or something.) Looks like it fell of Flavor Flav’s neck chain or something to my eyes. Does anyone make a replica of the Concept cap or something less bling-bling looking, such as a brushed metal or machined-look finish?

As for the fake hood scoops, I guess there's just a philosophical difference on these things. I guess I'm so adamantly against fake anything on a performance car after having lived through the '70s and early '80's when nearly every "performance" car was nothing more than a rolling clown show of fake everything, none of which did one iota to actually improve performance one millisecond. After a few years of these pseudo performance cars, I really developed a deep distaste for that shallow approach and any fake pseudo-performance element. I also associate that approach with what a lot of "Ricers" do, putting on all manner of scoop, duct, wing, vent or whatever, none of which do anything put lighten their wallets and strain everyone else's eyes.

Perhaps younger members don't have that recollection and association and thus, are pretty much fine sporting fake styling items as long as they look cool in their eyes.

For me, if there's something on my car that implies it does something, no matter how cool looking, then it better back up that visual promise by actually doing something. Sort of talking the talk, walking the walk in a visual design sense. <o></o>
Old 3/9/07 | 11:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
welcome! If youwant to mod just keep the stock parts and don't drill holes in the parts that are on the car from the factory.
That is my plan. Actually, I like the look of the stock GT/CS so much, I don't plan to do a whole heck of a lot of mods. Only mods that I can easily swap back to original.

On the scoop....

I like the scoop because I think it gives that big hood some much needed interest. Since I want to keep the stock look, I won't be painting on stripes or installng a shaker, so the GTAP scoop seemed like just the ticket.
Old 3/10/07 | 06:59 PM

I prefer it without the scoop. I test drove a GT with a scoop and found it was distracting to my vision. I'll admit its cool looking, but it was just not right for me. Here's some pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Scoop or no Scoop?-dsc00087.jpg   Scoop or no Scoop?-dsc00089.jpg