2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Recommended Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/09, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recommended Tire pressure

I recently swapped out my 17" Bullitts for a set of like new 18" OEM Chrome Bullitts. I measured the pressure in those tires to be 37 PSI which seems a little high to me. I know on my door jam sticker there is a recommended tire pressure for my stock wheels, but what about for these new wheels? Any one have a S197 GT which came stock with the 235/50 18s who could tell me what the door jam sticker says? Thanks.
Old 9/18/09, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
32 psi
Old 9/18/09, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HPwhitevert
32 psi
Much Obliged.
Old 9/18/09, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh, by the way. I bought those wheels from a gal who took them off her 2009 GT. I was expecting the TPMS to throw an alarm. I drove them around about 10 miles so far including a couple on the freeway where I punched it up to 85 then coasted back down. So far no TPMS indicator. I am happy about not having to teach the car about the new wheels. But that kind of goes against what I have been reading on the forums. So how did I get so lucky?
Old 9/21/09, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"Chrome Bullitt" wheels, eh? How close do you have to get so you can tell the difference between them and the polished aluminum that are part of the GT/CS package?

I use 35 front and 32 rear in my standard-suspended GT/CS convertible, because I like a little bit more crispness in response, and because I want to cancel out a bit of the understeer built in to the standard GT/CS suspension.

I use 32 and 32 on my GT/CS coupe with the 26mm H&R rear swaybar, which makes a lot of difference to the turn-in behavior of the otherwise standard-suspended GT/CS.
Old 9/21/09, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
FRPP CHROME BULLITTS How much did you give ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by I-70 west; 9/21/09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 9/22/09, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
FRPP CHROME BULLITTS How much did you give ?
$850 Wheels and virtually new wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Recommended Tire pressure-chrm.jpg   Recommended Tire pressure-wheelchrm.jpg  

Last edited by Cusp; 9/22/09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 9/23/09, 08:06 AM
GT Member

you sure about the "chrome" ? - they look like polished alum to me. IMO the chrome is a little too much bling. compared to my GT/CS wheels, the finish looks very much the same. $850 new wheels & tires - GREAT DEAL.
Attached Thumbnails Recommended Tire pressure-dscf0425.jpg  
Old 9/23/09, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HPwhitevert
you sure about the "chrome" ? - they look like polished alum to me. IMO the chrome is a little too much bling. compared to my GT/CS wheels, the finish looks very much the same. $850 new wheels & tires - GREAT DEAL.
those look like polished aluminum too me too !
Old 9/23/09, 03:11 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on the polished wagon by the looks of it from the pictures.
Old 9/23/09, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Could be. Checking all over.

I have looked all over ford's and ford racing's web site. The only polished 18" AU wheels I can find are 18 X 8. The CS Mustang came with 18 X 8s as far as I can tell. These are 18 X 8.5s and all I can find in that size are various versions of Chrome AU. What is odd though is the number on the casting. I can't find that exact number on fordperformanceaccessories or ford racing. Close but not exactly. On those sites I can see wheels which are labeled as being Chromed Au. Which have that polished au look to them. I wish I could confirm the part number though. I have even googled that part number and came up with nothing relevant. Perhaps some one has access to the secret database and can look them up. 8R3J-1007 (AC and DA depending on which spoke)
Old 9/23/09, 10:13 PM
Cobra R Member

They're probably polished. As for tire pressure, start with what's printed on the door-jam sticker and change from there.
Old 9/24/09, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!

TPMS: Not sure why you've gotten lucky so far.. every time I've ever changed wheels, within a day or so, I always got the TPMS fault light & beep. I did it so much that I bought the TPMS tool ($26) and put the reprogramming procedure in my glove box. It's only takes a minute or so and is just a few simple steps.
Old 9/24/09, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Nice!

TPMS: Not sure why you've gotten lucky so far.. every time I've ever changed wheels, within a day or so, I always got the TPMS fault light & beep. I did it so much that I bought the TPMS tool ($26) and put the reprogramming procedure in my glove box. It's only takes a minute or so and is just a few simple steps.
Is that tool a ford dealer thing? If they come on that is what I will do then. My dealer seems to be populated by employees which know less than I do when it comes to my particular application. I expect the parts dept guy to give me a blank stare and say he never heard of such a thing.
Old 9/24/09, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
I expect the parts dept guy to give me a blank stare and say he never heard of such a thing.
I know the feeling. I always need to tell the service dept. what to do with a TSB. It's gotten so bad that I take a copy of it with me.
Old 9/24/09, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
TSB's I asked well before my warrenty runs out why not just DO EVERY TSB liste on my car ah no we couldn't do that if you had seen them all youd want to give the car back !
Old 9/24/09, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, it's a Ford tool. Looks like a slightly larger version of your key fob.

I believe Steeda, American Muscle, and afew other vendors have them on their websites forsale. I believe I got mine through KC, but it's been awhile.. my memory is crap. lol
Old 9/24/09, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
I have looked all over ford's and ford racing's web site. The only polished 18" AU wheels I can find are 18 X 8. The CS Mustang came with 18 X 8s as far as I can tell. These are 18 X 8.5s and all I can find in that size are various versions of Chrome AU. What is odd though is the number on the casting. I can't find that exact number on fordperformanceaccessories or ford racing. Close but not exactly. On those sites I can see wheels which are labeled as being Chromed Au. Which have that polished au look to them. I wish I could confirm the part number though. I have even googled that part number and came up with nothing relevant. Perhaps some one has access to the secret database and can look them up. 8R3J-1007 (AC and DA depending on which spoke)
When you write "Chromed Au" are you implying the wheels are chromed gold? What language is that in?

The Ford sites I found a year ago showed these are the components of the GT/CS package:
GT California Special (54C)
Leather Sport Buckets w/unique Cal Special contrasting Dove or Parchment "GT Leather" inserts,
carpeted front floor mats with unique brushed chrome "MUSTANG" badge
unique front fascia, larger air intake, chin spoiler 1.5" lower than GT,
Unique rear fascia with race car like "diffuser",
side scoops,
unique tape stripe and
bright rolled exhaust tips
18 x 8.5" polished aluminum wheels with
235-50 BFG g-Force T/A KDWS tires

I believe he polished aluminum wheels on my GT/CSs are 18x8.5. I'll try to get a photo of the casting numbers and information tomorrow.

Didn't your GT/CS come with 18x8.5 polished aluminum wheels? I'll have a set for sale, directly I put on the GT500 takeoffs (zero miles, 18x9.5, Goodyear F1 Supercar 255-18, 285-18) I just polished and waxed preparatory to installation.
Old 9/25/09, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here are the size casting marks on two of the GT/CS polished aluminum wheels. One of the other marks includes the letters "CHROM", but all the wheels have "POL" in some place on one of the spokes.

Those GT500 takeoff wheels and tires are really nice. they move the wheel face at least half an inch toward the outside of the fender. Looking nice and fat from the back, too.
Attached Thumbnails Recommended Tire pressure-gtcspolishedaluminumwheel_40519.jpg   Recommended Tire pressure-gtcspolishedaluminumwheels_40542.jpg  
Old 9/25/09, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I reccomend 35psi and get one of these

and check them once a month and adjust from there.

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire pressure