2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Problems with windows and the convert. top??

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with windows and the convert. top??

Has anyone experienced problems with the passenger side window catching the convertible top? The window drops down but not enough to clear the roof. We got our GT/CS in August and had to get the top replace in December because the window ripped the top. Our dealer is not responding at all to our problem. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 2/18/07, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not here..... that's a new one.
Old 2/18/07, 07:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Me neither, might try taking it to another dealer.

Oh and by the way.... welcome to the forum! Nice to find another person with a CS!
Old 2/18/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

When I bought my car, the side window rubber trim was torn up at the top of the rubber. (I bought the car used with about 7,000 miles.)

I don't know what caused this, as it was there when I bought it. But, it was replaced under warranty for free and with no problems. Just a note: the trim cannot be removed...the entire window has to be replaced, as the rubber is permanently attached to the window.

I'm not sure if this addresses your issue at all, but I figured I'd post just in case.
Old 2/21/07, 10:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No mine all drop before the roof will move . I was told that was the way it should be , if Not I'd ask befor something go's Very bad. BTW what I don't like about a vert is when it's raining thw way the water rolls off the top right on your arm rest panel if a window were open always have a cloth cloth to wipe dry and one beside the seat under control switchs.
Old 2/22/07, 08:18 AM

My windows drop when the top come down. I'm talking about when you pull the handle of the door to open the door. I have to pause about 2 seconds or the edge of the window will rub the top as the door opens. You can't just pull the door open normally. BTW, Works fine on the driver side. We were told by our dealer to "live with it" and did that and it resulted in a ripped top which the dealer replaced and decided that there was something wrong. I have gotten the dealer to say that it is a design flaw as brand new vert. stangs on the lot did the same thing.
Old 2/22/07, 08:23 AM
Cobra R Member

The windows are supposed to drop about 1/4-1/2" when you open the door, to "seal" the cabin. There are some instructions in the owner's manual on how to reset this if it's not working properly. that may be your problem on the passenger side.
Old 2/23/07, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bsmoos
My windows drop when the top come down. I'm talking about when you pull the handle of the door to open the door. I have to pause about 2 seconds or the edge of the window will rub the top as the door opens. You can't just pull the door open normally. BTW, Works fine on the driver side. We were told by our dealer to "live with it" and did that and it resulted in a ripped top which the dealer replaced and decided that there was something wrong. I have gotten the dealer to say that it is a design flaw as brand new vert. stangs on the lot did the same thing.
Does your door window drop when the door is opened.
If not, do the reprogramming as detailed in the owner's manual.

If that works, then perhaps it could be a bent arm linkage in the roof mechanism.

I can't say it is the same problem, but one of my customers had an issue with the top of the lowered window not clearing and scuffing the ribbing on the edge of the roof. On close inspection, one of the arm linkages was bent making the roof sit slightly lower than it should have.
The linkage was replaced without replacing the whole roof. The problem did re-occur but that was because the linkage slipped under the tension of the roof going up. It was re-adjusted and firmly secured and the problem was solved.

This sounds similar, but may be a completely different issue.

By the way, as you know when you push the button to lower the roof, the windows go down first then the roof.
That system is governed by the position of the rear windows. If the rear windows are down and the front windows up, the roof will start going down immediately along with the front windows.
With the back windows down there is no delay in the deployment of the roof.
Old 2/23/07, 07:30 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Our '07 GT/CS Vert is due for warranty repair tomorrow concerning the rear P/S window.

The trim between that window and the P/S door glass has been torn at the top edge.

Ford ordered a r/s rear glass and regulator assembly.

I will be baby sitting tomorrow at the dealer, car has less than 2000 miles, no scratches and/or interior damage.

It better not when I get it back .

TDS
Old 2/23/07, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TDS
Our '07 GT/CS Vert is due for warranty repair tomorrow concerning the rear P/S window.

The trim between that window and the P/S door glass has been torn at the top edge...
This is EXACTLY what happened to mine, only it was on the driver side. It was torn when I got it (6 months old used with about 6000 miles). I got it replaced over a year ago, and haven't had an issue since (knock wood).

Also, just a note: the dealer probably WON'T be the one doing the repair. My dealer contracted out a glass repair shop to install it. Why, you might ask. I'm not quite sure, but I honestly trust a glass repair company more than the dealer for that type of work, as they would have a lot more experience than the dealer
Old 2/23/07, 07:37 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

I was told by Ford that the rear window regulator is out of position?

Allows the front window to "bite" into the rear window trim as it slides up & down.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

TDS
Old 2/23/07, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TDS
I was told by Ford that the rear window regulator is out of position?
Not sure about that one .

But, I don't know the exact reason that mine was torn. It is possible that it got torn by someone or something accidentally.

But, either way, they replaced mine under warranty for nothing, so I was happy.
Old 2/24/07, 12:05 AM

Well, two days of having a rental car, the dealer "took apart the door panel and adjusted the window frame to tip the top of the window in towards the top". It seems to work okay now. What a headache. They also fixed the second vert top since they put it on wrong (waves on the side of the top) and fixed the seatbelt from the first time they took everything apart (installing the new top) --they wouldn't retract properly when undoing the seatbelt. Do all dealers suck this bad???

BTW, had a V6 coupe mustang as a rental...what a DOG!! Glad to have all 400 horses back under the hood and rockin' to the Shaker 1000!
Old 2/27/07, 08:45 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Dealer installed a new p/s rear glass & regulator then spent another hour adjusting the regulator position while checking the position of the p/s door glass as it slides up and down against the rear glass.

Every thing works great, no further damage "YET", and now have to have the P/S door stripe replaced, its flaking off at the upper rear corner edge.

Going tomorrow for this.

TDS
Old 2/28/07, 07:24 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Back to dealer "again" tomorrow.
Both rear window regulators are out of adjustment, keeping the rear windows lower than the top edge of the door glasses.

The stripe replacement went great no problems.

TDS
Old 3/15/07, 08:01 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Ok this ****'s getting old, the r/s glass trim tore again.

Took car to dealer, called Ford at the service writers request, did a request for review with the Rep.

Took car back on 3rd following day, Rep from Ford was there, 2 hours later, I was told, " the solution is simple".

Both the d/s and the p/s rear glasses are out of adjustment, the rear glass top leading edge is supposed to extend above the door glass, when both glasses are in the up position.

The r/s rear glass & reg replacement, last month was adjusted to line up with the d/s setup, the d/s side was not correct from the assembly line.

What the HE!! is going on with Ford, JOB 1 is starting to look like GM/ Chevy to me. And we all know what Chevy's look like.

Objects in the rear view mirror are LOSING.

TDS
Old 3/20/07, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Well, two days of having a rental car, the dealer "took apart the door panel and adjusted the window frame to tip the top of the window in towards the top". It seems to work okay now. What a headache. They also fixed the second vert top since they put it on wrong (waves on the side of the top) and fixed the seatbelt from the first time they took everything apart (installing the new top) --they wouldn't retract properly when undoing the seatbelt. Do all dealers suck this bad???

BTW, had a V6 coupe mustang as a rental...what a DOG!! Glad to have all 400 horses back under the hood and rockin' to the Shaker 1000!

400horses under the hood? Are you running a SC? FWIW - I haven't had any issues with my vert top/windows tearing......one of the lucky ones I guess
Old 3/28/07, 12:36 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Top & Window problems were solved last week before leaving for vacation.

Both ofthe rear windows & regulators were out of adjustment.

All situations fine a t this time.

TDS
Old 3/28/07, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 10 year old recalibrated my windows and they are good now he pulled out the book from the glove box read it told me and then did it and they drop fine upon opening a door and then go up when door is closed.