2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Oil Change...........

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/09, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
You should also note that Ford has recently decided not to honour the warranty for engine problems related to aftermarket oil filters.

Really? That would seem to be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act.

A good explanation of the act is found here:
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Not doubting your post, but do you have any links that corroborate what you are saying?
Old 10/2/09, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

$80? $200?? For a frickin' oil/filter change?!? Give me break. If it's more than $50 at the dealership, I'd have a screaming fit.
Old 10/2/09, 08:22 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by denlem
I go to the dealer for oil changes and my last trip resulted in two large greasy dirt spots on the inside top passenger door panel.

This was an oil change, why would there be grease on the inside of the passenger side door?

Unfortunately I didn't see it until I was almost home. Any other time they call a few days later to see if the service was okay. In this case they didn't.
They probably gave you a complimentary ECU flash, just to be nice. ;-)
Old 10/2/09, 08:29 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
Really? That would seem to be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act.

A good explanation of the act is found here:
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Not doubting your post, but do you have any links that corroborate what you are saying?
Here is a link to a truck owner with the same motor. There is a Special Service Message 20819, which may have been updated since.

Linky

20819 1997-2009 MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 4.6L/5.4L - ENGINE TICKING AND/OR RATTLE NOISE
MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT). FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/29/2009
I was livid when I learned this. I took the car in to a quick lube shop the day I put my car away for the winter, which also happened to be the day before my father's funeral. I still have the oil filter, they are going to have to prove that the filter caused the damage, as it was the only aftermarket filter that was on the car. By the way, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if there is a comparable warranty act to refer to.

My car has a distinct ticking noise coming from the intake runner above the #4 cylinder (only). It is loudest at 1200RPM. I tried to get it dealt with before the standard warranty ran out, but I stopped bothering for the time being, since this issue should be covered under the power train warranty still in effect.

Last edited by PTRocks; 10/2/09 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10/2/09, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I found this hilarious.

I'm glad you caught that.....lol I am on crutches, I just had foot surgery 4 weeks ago and just started trying to put weight on the foot Monday. So, if I have to crutch it from the back of the parking lot because of no handicap spots, no problem but it's not something I want to do on a regular basis....lol The crutches are killing me!

As for the $80 oil change on the Hummer H3, well there are those steel plates that have to be removed in order to do any kind of work on it. It's like armor plate and they weigh about 25 lbs. each. Oil and filter were only about $25 but the rest was labor.
Old 10/2/09, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Here is a link to a truck owner with the same motor. There is a Special Service Message 20819, which may have been updated since.

Linky

I was livid when I learned this. I took the car in to a quick lube shop the day I put my car away for the winter, which also happened to be the day before my father's funeral. I still have the oil filter, they are going to have to prove that the filter caused the damage, as it was the only aftermarket filter that was on the car. By the way, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if there is a comparable warranty act to refer to.

My car has a distinct ticking noise coming from the intake runner above the #4 cylinder (only). It is loudest at 1200RPM. I tried to get it dealt with before the standard warranty ran out, but I stopped bothering for the time being, since this issue should be covered under the power train warranty still in effect.
The M-M act says that if a company requires a specific brand of part to maintain the warrantee, then they must provide that part for free as a part of the warrantee.

The SSM refers to engine damage caused by the internal degradation of an aftermarket oil filter which caused parts of the filter to end up in the engine. In that case, if I was the owner, I would have pursued action against the oil filter maufacturer. If your dealer is trying to weasel out of ANY engine failures based on his determination that you USED (not failure of) aftermarket oil filters, then he's over-reading the SSM. I would remind him of the "free part" section of the M-M Act and ask him if FMC is now giving away free oil filters for the life of the warrantee.

Last edited by tr6nut; 10/2/09 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10/2/09, 09:42 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
The M-M act says that if a company requires a specific brand of part to maintain the warrantee, then they must provide that part for free as a part of the warrantee.

The SSM refers to engine damage caused by the internal degradation of an aftermarket oil filter which cause parts of the filter to end up in the engine. In that case, if I was the owner, I would have pursued action against the oil filter maufacturer. If your dealer is trying to weasel out of ANY engine failures based on his determination that you USED (not failure of) aftermarket oil filters, then he's over-reading the SSM. I would remind him of the "free part" section of the SSM and ask him if FMC is now giving away free oil filters for the life of the warrantee.
I haven't pursued, or paid, anything yet. However, since I was told by more than one dealer that the noise was normal, they may have effectively refuted any claim to the oil filter having caused damage. I will be sure to use OEM filters from now on.
Old 10/2/09, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
going to a dealership is not a guarantee u will get quality service, my sister works in parts & said they had blowed up 2 engines this week due to stupid mistakes, i take mine there but i firmly remind them to keep clean, & one time i came unglued, a mechanic went around the corner hotroding my car , my sister went out & got on his a## , he would not come in the parts room to his parts, i know all dealers are not the same , but i would hate for someone to assume u would get quality work at a dealership, they give all the technical work to the certified mechanics, & the oil changes to the inexperienced kids.
Old 10/3/09, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I also change my own oil and use Mobile 1 and Wix (Napa) filter. I have started sending my oil in for analysis to BlackStone Laboratories. They can determine if you your filter is working properly and how much life is left in your oil. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.php
Old 10/5/09, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

The dealership I take mine to sponsors one of the local Mustang clubs, and one of the members of that club is a mechanic at another local dealership. Win-win right there.
Old 10/21/09, 11:28 AM

THat might be worth the drive. Where is this dealership located.
Old 10/21/09, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
They probably gave you a complimentary ECU flash, just to be nice. ;-)
and F up your flash turner divice too huh ? sounds real nice uh huh.
Old 10/22/09, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
I also change my own oil and use Mobile 1 and Wix (Napa) filter. I have started sending my oil in for analysis to BlackStone Laboratories. They can determine if you your filter is working properly and how much life is left in your oil. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.php
what kind of test results have you recieved so far?
Old 10/22/09, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mid life mustang
THat might be worth the drive. Where is this dealership located.
Bob Hurley Ford is just off of I-44 on W 51 St in Tulsa. They sponsor the Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa.

Bill Knight Ford is at 96th and Memorial in Tulsa. This is where my car is today -- my front bumper is being replaced due to an unfortunate meeting with a trailer hitch.
Old 10/23/09, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

..I know some guys that work at the local Pepboys and Sears Auto... I've heard some of the horror stories of **** like that happening, forgetting to put oil in the car, and worse... some of the things they do to people's cars after they leave.. Yeah, I wouldn't leave a pedal bike with those idiots.
Old 10/23/09, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

I take my mustang to Lubex. Lubex is is a specially designed shop for "oil changes" only. I never have any resulting mess when dealing with this facility. While the price is a little higher than a "Sears" service it might be worth it to save the mess and hassle.
Old 10/28/09, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by poldrv
I take my mustang to Lubex. Lubex is is a specially designed shop for "oil changes" only. I never have any resulting mess when dealing with this facility. While the price is a little higher than a "Sears" service it might be worth it to save the mess and hassle.
until they get a school kid that don't know cross thread your drain plug ! happened to my big sister, they tried to brush it off untill I layed the HEAVY on them
Old 11/24/09, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MusicMan66
+1 to that. Always have any service done at the dealership, especially while your car is still under warranty. Having a certified Ford technician work on your car is a good thing.
Is that the same certified technician that left my oil plug loose, or the same one that crossthreaded one of my wheel lugs, or the one that incorrectly installed the driveshaft...I could go on
Old 11/24/09, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Is that the same certified technician that left my oil plug loose, or the same one that crossthreaded one of my wheel lugs, or the one that incorrectly installed the driveshaft...I could go on
Did all of that happen at the same dealership? Just trying to get a clearer picture.
Old 11/25/09, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MusicMan66
Did all of that happen at the same dealership? Just trying to get a clearer picture.
Yes, all at good'ole Tropical Ford. I had the oil changed, rotate tires, and fix a humming noise from the rear end. When I took it home I noticed an oil leak in the driveway and it was a loose drain plug. The next oil change I did myself and noticed they had crossthreaded a lug when I went to rotate the tires. Now, the humming was repaired but they had someone managed to installed the driveshaft wrong and I was getting all sorts of vibrations at 70mph...they said it was my tires...WTF...I then took it to another dealer and they fixed it by reinstalling the driveshaft correctly. If you wanted done right, do it yourself...firm believer in that theory.

Quick Reply: Oil Change...........