2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Oil Change...........

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/09, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Oil Change...........

Ok guys, I took my car to Sears for a oil and filter change. I had just had my car washed and detailed yesterday. When I went to pick my car up there was grease all over the inside of my drivers side door, where the hood release is, the door sill, and get this, my rear driver side window on the outside! I thought my husband was going to have a stroke when he saw the mess they made of my car! I made them clean it up but they only did a half a**ed job of it and we had to clean it again after we got home cause they didn't get it all off. NEVER again! We are buying ramps today and will do it ourselves from now on! We don't have a garage and my husband is a disabled vet but I'd rather do it myself then let someone trash my car, it's not like I took some pile of s*** in there for them to work on!
Old 10/1/09, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Word to the wise:

Oil change BEFORE carwash.

It never fails that the service department leaves a few smudges here and there. I just gave up and start taking it in for service before I get it clean.
Old 10/1/09, 09:49 AM
GT Member

I always take mine to the dealer where I bought the car. I don't drive mine that much so I only have my oil changed about twice per year. They never make a mess of my car, well at least not up to this point. They are slightly higher but you are getting Ford Motorcraft oil filter & oil and they seems to treat your car somewhat better.
Old 10/1/09, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Nickel
I always take mine to the dealer where I bought the car. I don't drive mine that much so I only have my oil changed about twice per year. They never make a mess of my car, well at least not up to this point. They are slightly higher but you are getting Ford Motorcraft oil filter & oil and they seems to treat your car somewhat better.
+1 to that. Always have any service done at the dealership, especially while your car is still under warranty. Having a certified Ford technician work on your car is a good thing.
Old 10/1/09, 09:54 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
They are many stories like yours about the Sears service department. Tell your husband i said Hi! I'm a disabled Vet too.
Old 10/1/09, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i have been fortunate to take it to the dealership where i work. they are very respectful as to the cars they work on and they know how clean i keep it. it comes back the same as when it went in. also, if anything happens to the car's oil, then they are the sole owners as to working on it.. another fallback on your car just in case it isnt under warranty. if you can prove its a dealer fault, they would have to fix it out of their pockets. kinda like an underwritten guarantee. i do believe this dealership is probably one of the more customer friendly dealers that i have experience with. i deal with several ford dealers in the area and they are the only ones to go to the level that they do. very respectable and honest and fair. i would never take it to our local jiffy lube or rapid lube. just too risky some nut wants to take it for a burnout session 15ft from the garage bay door....
Old 10/1/09, 11:18 AM
FR500 Member

You should also note that Ford has recently decided not to honour the warranty for engine problems related to aftermarket oil filters.
Old 10/1/09, 12:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by elspeth
Ok guys, I took my car to Sears for a oil and filter change. I had just had my car washed and detailed yesterday. When I went to pick my car up there was grease all over the inside of my drivers side door, where the hood release is, the door sill, and get this, my rear driver side window on the outside! I thought my husband was going to have a stroke when he saw the mess they made of my car! I made them clean it up but they only did a half a**ed job of it and we had to clean it again after we got home cause they didn't get it all off. NEVER again! We are buying ramps today and will do it ourselves from now on! We don't have a garage and my husband is a disabled vet but I'd rather do it myself then let someone trash my car, it's not like I took some pile of s*** in there for them to work on!
My sister took her car in to a Mr.Lube fast oild change or Wal-Mart they cross threaded the drain plug and told her it'll be like $800.00 dollars they have to pull the engine, Well I got on the phone and let them have it because it was my old 1977 Cougar & I always changed the oil myself, get what you pay for & if you do not know the person personally why put that trust in them ? BTW check that plug & oil level.
Old 10/1/09, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

I do all my oil change and maintenance myself. Its a hassle transporting the used oil and finding a place that will take it, but I know its done right and for about half the cost.
Old 10/1/09, 01:42 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had all my oil changed done at my dealer before I just started doing them myself. Its much cheaper to just do it yourself and if something happens, you only have yourself to blame. Take your used oil to an AutoZone, O'Reilys or any place like that. By law if you sell oil you MUST provide oil recycling. We've got a huge oil recycling drum-thing that likes to float away when it rains. We call it the Exxon Valdeez.
Old 10/1/09, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I think you should talk to or email the store manager or better yet a district manager and let them know how you feel. Maybe you could save someone the pain you just went through. That is if they fix the problem. Changing oil on such a new car he shouldn't have even gotten his hands dirty.
Old 10/1/09, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always take my car to a local quick lube shop. The manager loves my car and is a gearhead. He even bought synthetic poly grease for me so I don't have to take my own.

I don't need the "experience" of changing my own oil after doing it for years. You just have to get someone who takes pride in their job and you trust.
Old 10/1/09, 05:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
It never fails that the service department leaves a few smudges here and there. I just gave up and start taking it in for service before I get it clean.
This right here is some dern good advice! whenever I know I'm going to get my car serviced the last thing I do for the day is have it cleaned up. Especially if the place is booming with work - Some techs just dont give a **** while others are moving at a break neck pace to keep up with service deadlines - not that they should be let off the hook since the vehicle should be returned in the same or better condition but it just makes things go smoother for both parties (besides rather than waste time on a second wash, if the tech leaves the car dirty before you have it cleaned up and they appreciate your business, they can pick up the tab for you first time around).
Old 10/1/09, 06:18 PM

Well, I've been going to this Sears Auto for the last 7 years and this is the first time we've had any problems. When I had my H3, my husband always changed the oil on it since the dealer wanted $80.00 just for an oil and filter change. My H3 had 2 steel plates that had to come off before you could get to anything to work on it.
My husband and I will just do it ourselves from now on and at least we will know it's done right and my car won't get all messed up. He checked the plug and the oil level and everything looked good they just left grease all over inside. I have to say though, people in Oklahoma don't take real good care of their cars and their cars usually all have some kind of body damage.......lol I park as far away from people as I can if we can't get a handicap space up front. I've already had to fix my car from some idiot hitting it with their door, then the hail, I don't need anything else to happen to it. Put the top down yesterday after it got all cleaned up and went for a ride. Got alot of looks at my car and even had a couple other Mustangs riding along next to me on I40. We took up all 3 lanes riding side by side, my black, a red Mach 1 and a silver Saleen.......lol I think everyone was out driving yesterday, it was a beautiful day to ride with the top down, I even got her up to 85 mph......

Last edited by elspeth; 10/1/09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10/1/09, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well if I lived close I'd lend a hand Denise because that's just my Prairie chicken nature in me.
Old 10/1/09, 09:28 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elspeth
lol I park as far away from people as I can if we can't get a handicap space up front.

I found this hilarious.
Old 10/1/09, 09:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I found this hilarious.
Man, I totally missed that. Terrible, but funny.
Old 10/1/09, 09:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

dang I need to get me one of those tags formy car and maybe a white cane too ! lol
Old 10/1/09, 11:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I go to the dealer for oil changes and my last trip resulted in two large greasy dirt spots on the inside top passenger door panel.

This was an oil change, why would there be grease on the inside of the passenger side door?

Unfortunately I didn't see it until I was almost home. Any other time they call a few days later to see if the service was okay. In this case they didn't.
Old 10/2/09, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've taken both my cars to a local lube/car wash place by me because they were the only ones around here that carried mobil 1. when they had a "new lube technician" they hired, worked on my car, the idiot obviously didn't wait for the guy in the pit to put the drain plug back in the car and the result, 1 quart of oil went right through the engine. and the technician had the nerve to try to charge me for that quart he poured right through! and I watched him the whole time. he charged me for 7! then of course to try to side track me from the situation when he told me i needed a list of things to bring my bill out to $200. I told him he was a "f***ing idiot!" luckily when I talked to the manager, I didnt have to pay for the quart of oil he poured through the engine. since then, I do all my oil changes in my garage!

Quick Reply: Oil Change...........