2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

LowTire Pressure Warning Light.

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/07, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LowTire Pressure Warning Light.

This has been an on and of again problem for me, so last time the car was in for service I talked to service manager.
He told me that since airpumps at stations are wet air, this and temp changes will somtimes set the sensor off.
So for $39.50 I had them remove the air from the tires and replace it with Nitrogen. This also comes with free top-up's for a year, and if you have to use a cold air pump I can just take it in and they will do the one tire over again for free.
Life is good, no more light, no more flop,flop first thing in the morning from the tires and I think the stang is handling better ( or this could just be in my head ).
Would recommend this if you have the sensor's in your stangs.
Mike.
Old 12/13/07, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup, mine popped up as well, but thats cuz I picked up a dumb nail.
And they told me it was too close to the edge and they could repair it. Blah blah. $170 later I have a new tire and the SENSOR FAULT signal came up, which is different than the LOW PRESSURE.

Nitrogen is better in the long run cuz it will last for months without needing to be checked and refilled.

FYI the BFGs for the GT/CS had to be special ordered.

Does anyone know how the computer knows when the pressure is low??
Old 12/13/07, 02:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by BLCKNED
And they told me it was too close to the edge and they could repair it. Blah blah. $170 later I have a new tire and the SENSOR FAULT signal came up, which is different than the LOW PRESSURE.

Nitrogen is better in the long run cuz it will last for months without needing to be checked and refilled.

Sorry to get off topic, but I checked Tire Rack the other day when I got my GT/CS to get a general idea of what I was going to be looking at when I needed tires. The BFG g-Force T/A KDWS that came on mine are on sale right now for $79.00 each and are in stock. Just thought I'd throw that out in case someone was about to purchase tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1
Old 12/13/07, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Sorry to get off topic, but I checked Tire Rack the other day when I got my GT/CS to get a general idea of what I was going to be looking at when I needed tires. The BFG g-Force T/A KDWS that came on mine are on sale right now for $79.00 each and are in stock. Just thought I'd throw that out in case someone was about to purchase tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1
Now i am truly sad.

I guess I should have checked waaaay before and just had them lined up, but when your tires go out, there isnt quite much you can do...

*goes to cry in the corner*

PS My price was with labor, rotation and balance too. Then in hindsight, I guess insurance for the tires might be worth it in the end, knowing that the price is about $130-$150 on average...
Old 12/13/07, 02:43 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Now i am truly sad.

I guess I should have checked waaaay before and just had them lined up, but when your tires go out, there isnt quite much you can do...

*goes to cry in the corner*
Sooo true. I was just looking to get a general idea and was surprised at the regular price, let alone the sale price. I really expected them to be much more with them being an 18'' performance tire.
Old 12/13/07, 08:26 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

The BFG's that came on the cars, are being closed out at Tire Rack , Discount Tire, and others.

BFG is replacing that tire with a new tire, that has a differnet tread design, and ratings.

Saw the tire at BFG's website, also ads in different mags.

Bought 4 Kdws's to remount on factory wheels and save for future
shows, etc.

TDS
Old 12/13/07, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Does anyone know how the computer knows when the pressure is low??

My sensor fault came on today with only 180 miles on the car. I checked all of my tire presures even though this is a different problem. The car goes to the dealer in the morning. What did they do to fix the problem on your car? I would realy like to have the system disarmed, I dont want to have continuous problems and Im very good about checking my tire pressures so its realy not needed.

Rob

update: Sensors were calibrated by dealer, problem gone.
Old 12/14/07, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TDS
The BFG's that came on the cars, are being closed out at Tire Rack , Discount Tire, and others.

BFG is replacing that tire with a new tire, that has a differnet tread design, and ratings.

Saw the tire at BFG's website, also ads in different mags.

Bought 4 Kdws's to remount on factory wheels and save for future
shows, etc.

TDS
Ahh that's a great idea!!
Well it then explains why they had to special order then at Just Tires.
Old 12/14/07, 01:04 PM

I have put different wheels and tires on mine. Shelby American Torque Thrust wheels, with black centers and Nitto tires. I bought the aftermarket sensor bands and had them put on my new wheels. Our club is sponsored by the local Ford performance dealer and I took it there and they have a little handheld probe unit, with which they reprogram the system for each wheel. Their is a sequence of turning the ignition on and off and on, that the horn beeps and then they go around the car to each wheel with the probe and the horn beeps each time and it somehow reprograms the computer to correctly recieve the data from the sensor bands in the wheel. They told me that the system cannot be disabled. Since I did that I have not had a problem.
Old 12/15/07, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Umm if there was ever a way to let me cuss on this board I would appreciate it immensely!!! I just got another frickin FLAT!!! and a for good measure.

$$$$$
Old 12/17/07, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi everyone, I can't stress enough how good it it to use Nitrogen in your tires. That is a great idea and I'm going to check the United Kingdom dealer here and see if they can do the same. In the Air Force we use Nitrogen in our aircraft tires and in hydraulic components such as accumulators and landing gear struts. The results are outstanding, the components last longer and the tires hardly ever get low. Trust me its worth it!
Old 12/17/07, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AircraftTech
Hi everyone, I can't stress enough how good it it to use Nitrogen in your tires. That is a great idea and I'm going to check the United Kingdom dealer here and see if they can do the same. In the Air Force we use Nitrogen in our aircraft tires and in hydraulic components such as accumulators and landing gear struts. The results are outstanding, the components last longer and the tires hardly ever get low. Trust me its worth it!
Thank you for your service. Great advice for the tires.
Old 12/18/07, 11:55 AM

I see where someone said they bought the aftermarket bands for the other rims. Is this just the band that holds the original sensor that had to be removed from the stock rim? Or is this the only thing you need? I swapped my rims and tires from my 06 that I traded for an 08. No one there told me about these sensors. So obviously it thinks I have a flat or something. I asked the dealer to remove them and install on my rims, which I would have paid for, and they refused!!! Thanks!
Old 12/18/07, 09:10 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

From the factory, the wheels have a steel band, sort of like a large hose clamp, around the rim. This clamp has a sensor unit on it, 180 degrees from the valve stem.

The factory band has to be cut and replaced if swapping the sensor to different rims. The new bands have a screw type device that allows you to tighten them, or remove them.

Ford wants an arm and a leg for the bands, however they can be purchased aftermarketly.

TDS
Old 12/19/07, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone want a picture of the band? My tire is off my rim right now and can take one for you guys.
Old 12/19/07, 08:17 PM

I appreciate it. It looks like I will have to get 4 new sensors and 4 bands to get rid of the flat-tire light. I have no idea if I will have to get some type of calibration done. I have no faith in my dealers repair technicians. I dropped off the car today to let them install the remote start that was supposed to be done when I ordered it. They called me up 7 hours after I left it (I live 1 hour away) to tell me they need BOTH keys and key fobs to install the remopte start, and it will not be until Friday until it is done. 3 days for a remote start? WTF???? I think I could have done it myself in 1 day!!! I hate this dealership. HATE IT!!!!
Old 12/20/07, 10:47 AM

Discount Tire here in the US has the aftermarket Bands and sensors. I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was about $25.00 per wheel. As I said the dealer has a small handheld devive that will recalibrate the computer to the bands and I have not had a problem since. Just one note, make sure that your tires are the preasure that you want before you have them recalibrate the sensors.
Old 12/20/07, 07:16 PM

Awesome!! I didn't know discount tire had them. I will definitely look them up. Thanks. Update on the remote start---I go to bring the dealer the other fob and key this morning. They have my interior taken apart with the instruction manual out and said it would take them until Monday at the earliest. I told them to put the car back together and I will have it put in by someone who knows what in the heck they are doing!!! Crazy!!
Old 12/21/07, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

In case anyone is curious.