2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Hood struts for my 2007 GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/07 | 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I have these...
http://www.showngoplus.com/pl_must_2005.php

I wouldnt reccomend them. They dont work as designed. They claim no drilling... As a result the hood brackets only use one bolt. The brakets turn regardless of how much of the provided double sided tape I used or lock washers. After one of the struts came off and sent one of the little metal clips flying into oblivion I opted to add an additional screw to each side to make them stay put.
Old 3/7/07 | 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Steeda Billet Hood Strut Kit or MRT Mustang Hood Strut Kit ?

Do you have an opinion about which Hood Kit you would suggest I purchase and install in my 2007 GT and why?

The Steeda Billet Hood Strut Kit:
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed..._strut_kit.php

or MRT Mustang Hood Strut Kit?
http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/hoodprop.php

Thanks.

~ Ed
Old 3/7/07 | 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Ed,

They're the same kit, only difference is that Steeda cut their name into the bracket. I've got the MRT kit on mine, and really like the kit. There's no drilling, it's an easy install, and since I painted my brackets to match the body, they look great!
Old 3/8/07 | 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Jay

Thanks Jay. Looks like I can save some $$$ buying the MRT Mustang Hood Strut Kit vs. Steeda's. ~ Ed
Old 3/8/07 | 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Were brackets black when you painted over them?

Originally Posted by jayguy
Ed,

They're the same kit, only difference is that Steeda cut their name into the bracket. I've got the MRT kit on mine, and really like the kit. There's no drilling, it's an easy install, and since I painted my brackets to match the body, they look great!
Jay,

Did your MRT brackets come already painted black powder coated before you painted them to match the body or were they unfinished?

MRT's website advertisement says that unfinished brackets are no longer available. The brackets are black powder coated.

I'm wondering if painting over the painted black powder coated brackets with redfire would be a problem.

Thanks Jay.

~ Ed
Old 3/9/07 | 12:51 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

I got mine unpainted. I bought them for my '05, but hadn't installed them before the accident. I had bought Sonic Blue spray paint though, and then when I had to buy the '07 in Vista Blue, had to order another can of paint.

I would think as long as you scuff up the powder coat, the paint would work fine. I'm no professional though.
Old 3/10/07 | 01:18 PM

The fact that we even have to purchase and install these is a pretty sad situation. For crying out loud, my 1963 Chevy II has a counter balanced hood....will stay anywhere I want it from fully open to 1/2 inch above the latch. People are buying GT500's at twenty grand over MSRP and still have to prop the hood open with a flimsy metal rod. Sorry for venting guys, but think about it. This is ridiculous.
Bob
Old 3/10/07 | 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Allegro
The fact that we even have to purchase and install these is a pretty sad situation. For crying out loud, my 1963 Chevy II has a counter balanced hood....will stay anywhere I want it from fully open to 1/2 inch above the latch. People are buying GT500's at twenty grand over MSRP and still have to prop the hood open with a flimsy metal rod. Sorry for venting guys, but think about it. This is ridiculous.
Bob
Man, I could not agree more. I would gladly pay a couple of hundred more just to have the struts already mounted from the factory.

And to have to use a hood prop on a $40k+++ Shelby? Absurd.