2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Hood scoop problem, how about you?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/07, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood scoop problem, how about you?

Shortly after receiveing my CS. I noticed the Hood Scoop was loose so I told the dealership. I got a new one
because, I was told, that once a problem develops Ford says chuck and replace. The first problem with the new one was a lousy paint job, done locally, and shortly after I noticed it is also loose. My dealership is supposedly looking into some way to make the installation more effective and I'm still waiting. Has anyone else had problems with their scoop? I have heard of trouble with the side scoops but nothing on the hood scoop. Any fix ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

PS. I mentioned some time ago that my rear bumper was damaged by another car, it has recently been replaced. At first I was expected to settle for a repair but after hearing from some of you I insisted on a new one. Thanks again.
Old 1/31/07, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wish I could offer a comment but my unit still is not in as yet ? maybe if the scoop was functional they would have had to have a better design.
Old 1/31/07, 11:29 PM
GT Member

No problems with either the hood scoop or the side scoops here.

I just want winter over, so I can get driving it again.
Old 2/1/07, 04:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems with mine(part of the GTAP). I installed the GT/CS side scoops myself, and no problems there as well
Old 2/1/07, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Comox
Shortly after receiveing my CS. I noticed the Hood Scoop was loose so I told the dealership. I got a new one
because, I was told, that once a problem develops Ford says chuck and replace. The first problem with the new one was a lousy paint job, done locally, and shortly after I noticed it is also loose. My dealership is supposedly looking into some way to make the installation more effective and I'm still waiting. Has anyone else had problems with their scoop? I have heard of trouble with the side scoops but nothing on the hood scoop. Any fix ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

PS. I mentioned some time ago that my rear bumper was damaged by another car, it has recently been replaced. At first I was expected to settle for a repair but after hearing from some of you I insisted on a new one. Thanks again.
Let me tell you my story with the hood scoop. Shorty after receiving my car and after getting over the "wow" factor...well, I still have a lot of residual "wow"factor...I started noticing certain details on my CS. One of them was the fact that my hood scoop was not flush agains the hood in the rear corners. After noticing a few clunks and ticks I decided to take it in to the dealer. I must have one of those faces that immediately lets people know that I'm a moron because this is what the dealer told me: The two corners of the hood scoop are that way on purpose so that it doesn't scratch your paint (what about the rest of the area that's in direct contact with the paint???) Anyway, I wasn't about to waste my time arguing with a high school drop out...so, I took it home to fix it myself. I removed it from the hood and I heated up the scoop in certain areas and cooled it off with cold water until I was able to obtain the correct shape. Now it is flush all of the way around and looks perfect. Moral of the story: If you want something done right, do it yourself...even though you paid 30k. BTW, the dealer also told me that the clunk in the front suspension is totally normal, and that the engine ticking is also normal. I wonder why more and more Americans are buying Jap cars. I understand that you can't compare oranges and apples, but then you go to the dealer and they throw in a few fruit loops
Old 2/1/07, 10:48 AM

None of the (3) scoops were even close to being flush on the car I saw at the Dealer's lot yesterday. I would never be able to put up with that, so when I get mine, I'm getting an aftermarket hood such as the CS6 Hood on the Shelby GTH cars. I can live without the side scoops as well, even though they do look cool. I see problems with them down the road.
Old 2/1/07, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine look good and have not had any problems, all are tight and flush.
Old 2/1/07, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

If I were you I'd take the opportunity to throw Ford's scoop away and install the Roush scoop on myself. Wider, longer, much smoother looking, easy on, and at least you don't run the risk of having an incompetent slacker ruining your ride. If you need more info on the Roush, don't hesitate to contact me One last piece of advice, make sure they don't scratch your hood while they "fix" your scoop.
Attached Thumbnails Hood scoop problem, how about you?-mustang-gt.cs.jpg  
Old 2/1/07, 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey as long as the engine stays warm the 3M tape adhesive or what ever is used to hold them in place should keep them gummie enough to work, stop driving it all hardens up & they fall off !
Old 2/4/07, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by R.A.F.A.L.E.
If I were you I'd take the opportunity to throw Ford's scoop away and install the Roush scoop on myself. Wider, longer, much smoother looking, easy on, and at least you don't run the risk of having an incompetent slacker ruining your ride. If you need more info on the Roush, don't hesitate to contact me One last piece of advice, make sure they don't scratch your hood while they "fix" your scoop.
Thanks for the advice. In fact hey did scratch the hood when replacing the scoop the first time. Once again like the others it is only noticeable when under flourescent lights in my garage, but very noticeable. It's like something sharp was scribbled back and forth and all around in a 2 inch section. I would fix the hood scoop myself but the paint job on the new one is terrible and needs repainting. After this however I will take your advice and fix problems myself when humanly possible.
Old 2/4/07, 08:26 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

The hood scoop on our '07 GT/CS is not flush at the l/r corner, it traps water when the car is washed, and leaks for hours afterwards, allowing water to run out from under it and down the front section of the hood.

If you notice the hold down bolts (under the hood) there are not bolts at all 4 corners of the scoop.

Just the leading edge (locator pins?) and 2 on each side, but in the middle of the scoop.

Poor design in my own opinion from Ford.

TDS
Old 2/4/07, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Watch if it's kept I'll lean changes to be made to save after fix costs.

Smiles All The Time With A GT/CS and that's from everyone !
Attached Thumbnails Hood scoop problem, how about you?-my-2nd-day-013.jpg  
Old 2/4/07, 09:02 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can any with a Roush hood scoop comment on whether this scoop also traps water?
Old 2/4/07, 09:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I had a Roush hood scoop on my '06 GT. I installed it and added sealant on the drilled holes, no water filtered down. It does trap water specially during car washes. The best way to force the water out is with compressed air (garden blower).
Old 2/5/07, 01:22 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
When I wash my car I just lift the Hood to clean under it and it lets all the water out of the scoop. And my car is Black
Old 2/17/07, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

mine has a few small gaps , I think that whoever fitted it was in a hurry as for when you are sitting in the drivers seat you can see that on some areas of the scoop needs plaining inorder for it to fit flush. my 4.5 cents
Old 2/19/07, 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
mine has a few small gaps , I think that whoever fitted it was in a hurry as for when you are sitting in the drivers seat you can see that on some areas of the scoop needs plaining inorder for it to fit flush. my 4.5 cents
I removed mine and used a heat gun to reshape it. In my case the two rear corners were'nt flush. I heated the entire rear area and quickly cooled it with water until I was able to obtain the desired shape. This is all after taking it to the dealer and they told me that the corners were engineered that way so they don't scratch the paint...what a bunch of $h!t. The rest of the scoop can touch the paint, but not the rear corners That's when I realized I needed to change dealers.
Old 2/20/07, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

What a load of Huey ! the guy that said that should be a lawyer ?