2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

GT/CS vs GT-H

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/06, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT/CS vs GT-H

Just returned from a great trip back to my hometown of San Diego. Hertz kindly offered me a GT-H for $99.99/day, and a V6 Vert for $49.99/day. Two totally different worlds! While I'm not impressed with the auto, or the 17" w/t package in the GT-H, everything else was out of this world. Interstate traffic moved anywhere from 40-85mph. The car felt as if it were on rails at all times.
While I'm accustomed to the lower clearance on the GT/CS, the GT-H at times was a challenge to speed bumps and broken pavement.
The hood pins are attractive, but...I came out of the Embassey Suites one morning to discover that someone had unhooked both of them! Never had the radio/cd on - the exhaust sound was great.
The hood is something else - it appears to block as much of the road as does the hood scoop on the GT Appearance package. I think I still want the hood.
To rate them overall(Total Subjective) : 0-10 Scale - 06 GT-H...9, 07 GT/CS Vert...7, 06 GT Vert...5, 06 V6 Vert...3. God I wish they would bring out a Shelby GT Vert.
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3088.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3179.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3174.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3181.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3185.jpg  

GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3187.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3192.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3196.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3204.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3207.jpg  

Old 9/8/06, 05:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were there any changes in the engine? the exhaust, were they the FRPP/Borlis? Any other things you noticed after thinking about it a bit?
Old 9/8/06, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine is the same on the GTH, has a CAI and tune, don't remember what exhaust upgrade it has........

.......does it have upgraded suspension?

I really dig the grille on that GTH.
Old 9/8/06, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

It has the full FRPP suspension package, the strut tower brace, FRPP X-Pipe,and the FRPP GTA (Borlas) mufflers. The sound is so sweet! She sits very low to the ground with those 17" wheels and tires.
Old 9/8/06, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Thanks for posting the pix, Joe. Sounds like a nice machine, the Shelby GT should be equally fun, given you can get the manny tranny in the Shelby GT.
Old 9/9/06, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Were there any changes in the engine? the exhaust, were they the FRPP/Borlis? Any other things you noticed after thinking about it a bit?
Doug Yes, all the goodies from FRPP (suspension, cai kit, strut tower brace), including the FRPP(Borlas) GTA mufflers, with X-Pipe. I'm thinking I've got to do the FRPP X-Pipe with the FRPP iGTA mufflers.
I love the hood, but there are no drain holes, and it is signicantly taller than the existing hood (maybe 1.5"?). Still, it looks so cool!

More pics of the engine compartment, including inside the hood.
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3197.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3198.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3200.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3203.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3206.jpg  

Old 9/9/06, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
One last grouping of just how low the GT-H sits with 17" wheels/tires. It's very easy to bottom out approaching a speed bump with three adults and luggage on board.
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3173.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3181a.jpg   GT/CS vs GT-H-img_3174-copy.jpg  
Old 9/9/06, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

looks like the strut tower brace and gtap plenum cover would not be compatible. --- also what about lowering spring versus already low gtcs front fascia?

I dig the buffet menu on this site ...http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/customize.asp --
Old 9/9/06, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lurking_in_sd
looks like the strut tower brace and gtap plenum cover would not be compatible. --- also what about lowering spring versus already low gtcs front fascia?

I dig the buffet menu on this site ...http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/customize.asp --
The Strut Tower Brace is incompatible with the cover. You can order the parts through the above mentioned web site ala carte, ie w/o the STB. I believe that you would save more than a couple of hundred dollars.

The streets in downtown San Diego going up to Balboa Park and Hillcrest can be awfully treacherous. The car just sits to darn low; the folks at Hertz warned me three times before I left to watchout for the clearance. With all that said, she was as solid as being on rails around corners, and those sweeping on/off ramps that you have so many of in California.

I guess that those folks that mention just how tight the suspension package would make a vert noisy have a point though. I just wonder how many squeaks and groans we'd hear with the dampers, braces, and swaybars in place.

Maybe that's way there is no plans near term for a Shelby GT Vert. I wonder what the folks with a GT500 vert think?
Old 9/9/06, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

and those sweeping on/off ramps that you have so many of in California.
<-- where people accelerate (not break) into the offramps!

I just wonder how many squeaks and groans we'd hear with the dampers, braces, and swaybars in place.
<-- I've pondering this also. this short-list handling package, plus x-pipe, cai, & shorty headers on the gt/cs -> doesn't this roughly equate to the new shelby gt?
Old 9/9/06, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lurking_in_sd
<-- where people accelerate (not break) into the offramps!

<-- I've pondering this also. this short-list handling package, plus x-pipe, cai, & shorty headers on the gt/cs -> doesn't this roughly equate to the new shelby gt?
Truly the difference comes down to color/stripe combinations, 18" wheel and tires, and available manual transmission.

I for one would be interested in the Shelby GT, if it were a vert. Back to the GT-H, it has our GT/CS front fascia, plus a very handsome hood. It does not have the rear fascia that the GT/CS shares with the GT500. To me, that is a big deal. I absolutely love the look of that rear end. Both cars have the side scoops, which bothers me only because they are nonfunctional.

The whole FRPP package is impressive. I've decided to go ahead and order the X-Pipes, along with the FRPP GTA mufflers. For the moment, I'm going to hold off on the hood. Maybe later the CAI, but I'm thinking of taking a pass on the suspension goodies, only because I'm driving a vert.

Now watch me pour money into my GT/CS land yacht, and Shelby announce their new 2008 Shelby GT Convertible!!!
Old 9/9/06, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

The whole FRPP package is impressive. I've decided to go ahead and order the X-Pipes, along with the FRPP GTA mufflers. For the moment, I'm going to hold off on the hood. Maybe later the CAI, but I'm thinking of taking a pass on the suspension goodies, only because I'm driving a vert.
<-- trip out -- I was thinking suspension (and brakes) first, then the cai, then x-pipe, exhaust. I am sticking with the gt/cs + gtap hood cause I think it looks cool. --- even stock this gt/cs is way too much fun!!!