2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Difference between a GT/CS and GT Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Front fascia is lower

Originally Posted by ipchay61
That is the same thing I've read. The front fascia is ~1-1/2" lower on the GT/CS than the GT. No change in suspension or ride height.
-Chip in SC
Thanks HOTLAP, ipchay61, and tuco for the clarification.

This is a quote from page 20 of the July 2006 edition of Modified Mustangs magazine.

"It (the 2007 Mustang GT/CS) has an aggressive, new front fascia with an integrated chin spoiler and sits 1.5 inches lower than the Mustang GT."

I wasn't quite sure of what Modified Mustangs meant exactly in their quote. So I appreciate your explanations.

I really like the looks of the 2007 Mustang GT/CS I've seen in photos.

Congratulations to you new owners of the 'California Special'! I'd enjoy hearing how you like your new Mustang.
Old 8/13/06, 10:12 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Congrats, to all GT/CS owners..I'm doing some research for a member, from another forum who seems to believe, that his dealer claims the GT/CS includes the Ford Racing Power Pack, Cold Air Package..And my question for you is this..Is there any truth to this ?? Or is it only available, through Ford Racing Parts, as an option ??
Old 8/13/06, 10:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Congrats, to all GT/CS owners..I'm doing some research for a member, from another forum who seems to believe, that his dealer claims the GT/CS includes the Ford Racing Power Pack, Cold Air Package..And my question for you is this..Is there any truth to this ?? Or is it only available, through Ford Racing Parts, as an option ??
It is not part of the GT/CS but is an option IIRC. I think the dealer is wrong.
Old 8/14/06, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ahh, forums can be mis-leading. Answer = nope!
Old 8/14/06, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

As the others said, unfortunately it is not true. It does come with the Hertz Shelby and the upcoming Shelby GT, but not any other Mustang offerings. You can buy it through FRPP, but it is not an official Ford option. I think it is also up to the dealerships as to whether they are willing to install FRPP parts or not.
Old 8/14/06, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
As the others said, unfortunately it is not true. It does come with the Hertz Shelby and the upcoming Shelby GT, but not any other Mustang offerings. You can buy it through FRPP, but it is not an official Ford option. I think it is also up to the dealerships as to whether they are willing to install FRPP parts or not.
I know it comes with both the Shelby GT-H and the all new Shelby GT..However, if you take a look at this Ford Media news release..It mentions what features are available on the GT/CS and one of those features claims, that the GT/CS has a larger air intake..But then again, that could mean almost anything..Anyway, here's the link and if anyone can shed any light on this..I'd be extremely grateful, Thanks http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23080
Old 8/14/06, 06:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It mentions what features are available on the GT/CS and one of those features claims, that the GT/CS has a larger air intake..But then again, that could mean almost anything..Anyway, here's the link and if anyone can shed any light on this..I'd be extremely grateful, Thanks http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23080[/quote]

If you look at the front end the lower grill is larger, ie: "Larger air intake". the GT/CS sits 1 1/5" lower by means of the lower scoop.
Old 8/14/06, 06:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I am having it installed on mine as a dealer option. My dealer says now the the CIA from 06 will not fit the 07, but is waiting on response from Ford racing on this. Also adding the FRPP exhausts, believe the whole kit is the FR1 or FP1, somthing like that. Kit contains the CIA, FRPP axelbacks, and tuner. Was quoted about 1k installed.
Old 8/14/06, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I am having it installed on mine as a dealer option. My dealer says now the the CIA from 06 will not fit the 07, but is waiting on response from Ford racing on this. Also adding the FRPP exhausts, believe the whole kit is the FR1 or FP1, somthing like that. Kit contains the CIA, FRPP axelbacks, and tuner. Was quoted about 1k installed.
I don't know if any of you are aware of this but, the FRPP cold air kit is designed by Steeda Autosports..Basically Ford and Steeda share what's called, the transfer technology program through (SEMA) In fact, I have the Steeda version of the FRPP cold air kit, on my 05 GT. and their both exactly the same..As for your dealer claiming the CAI from 06 will not fit the 07?? is incorrect..the very same 06 CAI is already installed on the 07 Shelby GT-H and will also be installed on the 07 Shelby GT..It's the engine calibration tuner or re-flash tool for the 05-06 that will not work on the 07..And I did check with Ford racing and Steeda about this, and they both confirmed, their in the process of developing a new re-flash tuner, for the 07..It appears that Ford has changed the calibration of the ECM processor (computer) for 07 which is pretty much the reason why all hand held tuners, will not work for the 07.. That is until both Diablosport and SCT are able to crack the new processor codes, which shouldn't take very long, so stay tuned..
Old 8/15/06, 12:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I would like to see a picture of the special floor mats?
Originally Posted by dly
here's the floor mats that came on my GT/CS

dly

Attachment 6911
Seriously? What a let down. Not very SPECIAL Ford, not very special.
Old 8/15/06, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

I know it comes with both the Shelby GT-H and the all new Shelby GT..However, if you take a look at this Ford Media news release..It mentions what features are available on the GT/CS and one of those features claims, that the GT/CS has a larger air intake..But then again, that could mean almost anything..Anyway, here's the link and if anyone can shed any light on this..I'd be extremely grateful, Thanks http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23080
As Doug mentioned, Ford used confusing terminology in that press release. They are actually referring to the front fascia having a larger air opening in it, they should not have used the word "intake" as everyone interpreted this to mean the CS was getting a CAI. I remember reading that before the CS came out and thinking the same thing myself! But in fact the CS has the same intake (on the motor) as the GT.
Old 8/15/06, 05:08 PM

As Doug mentioned, Ford used confusing terminology in that press release. They are actually referring to the front fascia having a larger air opening in it, they should not have used the word "intake" as everyone interpreted this to mean the CS was getting a CAI. I remember reading that before the CS came out and thinking the same thing myself! But in fact the CS has the same intake (on the motor) as the GT.
Your sure got that one right, I don't know what Ford was thinking when they used the word intake ? It sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it would cause nothing but, one big misinterpretation..I perfectly agree with you 100% that If Ford, would have just referred to the front fascia as having a larger air opening in it, this would have avoided any misinterpretations to begin with...
Old 8/15/06, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know if any of you are aware of this but, the FRPP cold air kit is designed by Steeda Autosports..Basically Ford and Steeda share what's called, the transfer technology program through (SEMA) In fact, I have the Steeda version of the FRPP cold air kit, on my 05 GT. and their both exactly the same..As for your dealer claiming the CAI from 06 will not fit the 07?? is incorrect..the very same 06 CAI is already installed on the 07 Shelby GT-H and will also be installed on the 07 Shelby GT..It's the engine calibration tuner or re-flash tool for the 05-06 that will not work on the 07..And I did check with Ford racing and Steeda about this, and they both confirmed, their in the process of developing a new re-flash tuner, for the 07..It appears that Ford has changed the calibration of the ECM processor (computer) for 07 which is pretty much the reason why all hand held tuners, will not work for the 07.. That is until both Diablosport and SCT are able to crack the new processor codes, which shouldn't take very long, so stay tuned..
Thanks for the update on the CAI. Have you heard of any reason given for ECM changes for the 07? My local dealer is now wavering on just what kind of warranty I will have with the FRPP CAI installed, any thoughts? What time frame are you hearing for the new re-flash tuner?
Old 8/15/06, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Just picked up my stang today , ordered the CAI, dealer confirmed the issue is not with the intake , but with the flash tuner. will be calling FRPP in the morning to get more details..... film at 6
Old 8/15/06, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by semperfi65
Thanks for the update on the CAI. Have you heard of any reason given for ECM changes for the 07? My local dealer is now wavering on just what kind of warranty I will have with the FRPP CAI installed, any thoughts? What time frame are you hearing for the new re-flash tuner?
I got my information from Ford Racing, as for the reason why Ford changed the ECM calibrations, is anybody's guess..I did ask Ford Racing that question and they don't even know why..If you want my opinion or educated guess, I would think it's to send a message to all the third party tuners out there, that Ford doesn't want them messing with their ECM processors, other than that I can't think of any other reason that would make any logical sense..As for the warranty issues, that will be strictly up to your dealer as to whether of not they wish to honor it.. I do know that Ford Racing, does not warranty any of their performance parts..Which is one of my reasons why I went with the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner from Steeda, along with my cold air kit which is the same as the FRPP version anyhow..Besides, the FRPP flash tool has very conservative tunes that really don't provide much of a performance gain to begin with, plus you can't even make any adjustments or changes..So in the long run, you'll be much better off and happier if you got the X-cal II tuner and cold air kit direct from Steeda, in which I did and I couldn't be happier.. I'm also sure that Steeda will have all the info, concerning a time frame for the 07's..So I would recommend giving their tech support number a try and see what they say..When I hear of more information, I'll be sure to post it..In the meantime, hang in there..
Old 9/3/06, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I understand it has the California stricter emission package on it...which means it makes about 25HP less than a conventional GT....
Old 11/20/06, 08:17 PM

On Fords site regarding the 2007 GT/CS, it states the ride height is 1 1/2 lower than the GT.
Old 11/20/06, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Huh ?

Originally Posted by dly
here's the floor mats that came on my GT/CS

dly

Attachment 6911
I thought they were special ? gees we pay X amount more for a few differences from one GT to another and you think that they'd at least give us rear mats as well but Noo we have to spend another 100.00 for a full set Oyyyy.
Old 11/21/06, 05:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I understand it has the California stricter emission package on it...which means it makes about 25HP less than a conventional GT....
Well, if you are purchasing a GT/CS for California delivery (or a GT as well), you're going to have the California emissons package. For the rest of us - nope, we get the same 49-state emission package!
Old 11/21/06, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jonate
On Fords site regarding the 2007 GT/CS, it states the ride height is 1 1/2 lower than the GT.
This is probably the most frustrating part of the GT/CS package, as some early reports on the GT/CS said this as gospel. Actually, the front fascia is indeed 1.5" lower than on a GT. The ride height remains the same as on a GT. Of course, there are several packages available to lower the car, just like the GT-H
Attached Thumbnails Difference between a GT/CS and GT Mustang-img_3174-copy.jpg   Difference between a GT/CS and GT Mustang-img_3180.jpg   Difference between a GT/CS and GT Mustang-img_3138.jpg  

Quick Reply: Difference between a GT/CS and GT Mustang