2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Convertible Top -- Leave up or down in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Top -- Leave up or down in garage?

My convertible will be garaged and so I have the option of leaving the top down after I come back from a drive. Is there any problem with leaving the top down, say folds in the roof, or any permanent damage from keeping it open for too long? On the other hand, if I close it each time, the roof will not be folded/creased for a period of time and will be in a taut condition, which should keep it longer?

I just don't know... my first convertible... and want your opinions. Let me know.

thanks,
Dbl E GT
Old 8/7/06, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

I don't have a Mustang convertible (yet, hoping to order one within days) but I've had two Miatas, one with vinyl top and one with cloth. I usually leave the top down for several days, even a week or so, and haven't had a problem. If you used a hardtop in the winter, causing the soft top to be folded for months, the owners manual suggested that you raise the soft top in warm weather but not latch it, and to let it sit for a few hours to soften up. Of course that wouldn't be an issue with the Mustang anyway since there is no hardtop.
Old 8/7/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Watch out for the rubbing behind the passenger seat on the back. It is really rubbing. I wonder what the long term affect is on that. If you leave it down for a long period it leaves fold mark all over the top.
Old 8/7/06, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Oh, I forgot to add mine is a GT/CS on order with a CLOTH top.

Dbl E GT
Old 8/7/06, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Consider just how much dust, pollen, mold moves through your garage. Overtime these elements will effect you interior's appearance. Give consideration to moisture accumulation(humidity). I always put the top up.

One other consideration, when you leave home, lower the top, now you know that the mechanism works. It's nice to know just in case!
Old 8/7/06, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I leave mine up with the windows cracked but, I do not latch the top down with the latches. It's basiclly resting on the windshield header.
I think this will stretch the material less over time. So far, I have not driven it without latching it down first.
Old 8/7/06, 07:47 PM
Number Cruncher

I put my top up and latch it.
Windows up too.
Once had a problem with mice in a VW 'vert that I parked with the top down.
Old 8/7/06, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I put mine up unless I am going to be heading out soon. I don't worry about the mice .... the cats do. First mouse droppings I see in my Stable, the cats no longer have a reason to stay around, cuz I aint feedin' freeloaders.
Old 8/7/06, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

On my '05 several times I left the top down all night. I don't think I ever left it down more than 24 hours though. It had a vinyl top and after it was down for an extended period like that there would be some more pronounced wrinkles when I put it back up, but they would always go away after an hour or so. The top folds down in such a way that the material is not under a lot of stress. The whole top design is pretty brilliant really, what with it looking almost like a boot in the down position, the ease of use, the drainage channels built in, the windows locking into the channels when the doors are closed. Ford really did the verts right!
Old 8/8/06, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
On my '05 several times I left the top down all night. I don't think I ever left it down more than 24 hours though. It had a vinyl top and after it was down for an extended period like that there would be some more pronounced wrinkles when I put it back up, but they would always go away after an hour or so. The top folds down in such a way that the material is not under a lot of stress. The whole top design is pretty brilliant really, what with it looking almost like a boot in the down position, the ease of use, the drainage channels built in, the windows locking into the channels when the doors are closed. Ford really did the verts right!
Great to hear.. now I'm even more happy I ordered a convertible !
Old 8/10/06, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT
Great to hear.. now I'm even more happy I ordered a convertible !
You'll get a kick out of the vert!! I had a 95 then 2000 GT vert and am trading my '05 Coupe in for the '07 GT/CS vert.....just can't stay away them for some reason!
Old 8/10/06, 07:49 PM
GT Member

i leave mine down for a day or two at most. simply for convenience. more than a couple of days, i put the top up to keep the dust out.

no issues with the vinyl
Old 8/12/06, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

One thing I did notice about leaving my top down for extended periods is that the inside headliner material did develop wrinkles/creases and after a while they started to become permanente in the material....didn't stretch out like the wrinkles in the top did......I'd probably leave mine up for that reason. Actually, awake had a pretty good idea of not engaging the latches to keep the material from stretching.....just don't forget to engage the latches before you head out!!
Old 8/12/06, 01:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any safety feature to prevent you from dirving with the top down but not latched? Could see a big problem hitting the highway at 70+ and the air catches it.
Old 8/13/06, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Is there any safety feature to prevent you from dirving with the top down but not latched? Could see a big problem hitting the highway at 70+ and the air catches it.
Not that I'm aware of....would have to be a sensor that knows when the top is fully down vs. partially retracted. My '00 Vert had a saftey switch lockout where you couldn't raise/lower the top unless the parking brake was engaged....
Old 8/13/06, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
if its going to be parked for more than 24 hours I put it up